Devil Is I - S.O.S mix test

matthewm94

Reaction score
Hey there, right off the bat i'm gonna tell you this isn't metal, but I've been expanding my horizons and trying my hand at mixing. This is a song from my band Devil Is I, a sort of acoustic/folk rock deal. It's rough mix but I'd like to eventually do a better mix. I know we've got a few good guys on here who could give some tips.

Equipment:
Line 6 Ux2
Shure Sm7b
Reaper
No monitors, mixed on big old speakers

I'd like some help on EQing and miking acoustic guitars and everything overall, as well as tips to get rid of the hiss on some of the tracks. Give your opinion on the track!

Thanks a lot!

Matt

Devil Is I - S.O.S by housemonk on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Blazerok

Reaction score
sounds cool in my opinion, kinda lo-fi, if that's whats you were going for! I enjoyed it.

The vocals are a bit pushed in my opinion, as if they were clipping at some points. Thats what i would look at.

matthewm94

Reaction score
Thanks! we we're kinda going for a lo-fi sound but would not by any means be against some nice production. The vocals were done quickly and have a few plugins for a distorted sound, so that may be the clipping your hearing. I'm not a huge fan of how they turned out. Any ideas on how to get a nice distorted sound? I know that we could get some good vocals and sound overall because we've got a decent mic (Shure sm7b)

A vocal sound like this would be pretty cool, any ideas on how to get that?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKAqqgbuUcg