Dexter

• Thread starter Karl Hungus
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Alimination

Space Adventurer
Reaction score
cliff hanger for the next one was brutal argggugh!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Mexi

Reaction score
I knew the ending was coming at some point, but considering the show has been renewed for a final two seasons, I'm surprised they pulled it this soon. It'll be interesting to see the angle they're going to play.

Mr. Big Noodles

Theory God
Reaction score
Bah, they went there. My girlfriend's mom actually thinks this season had good writing. I lost it when I saw the mural with Dexter's photoshopped head.

Rev2010

Contributor
Reaction score
Man, I wish they still had the writing they did in seasons 1,2, & 4 - absolutely magical. I love those seasons, though I think 2 is my fav because they didn't focus on some new big bad serial killer but instead on Dexters work and the addition of Lila who really played a bigger threat than Doax was fantastic. Also how the plot twists worked out and such.

Anyhow, last season I thought was quite mediocre but decent enough to watch, but the last episode was the pits, talk about a fast wrap up and plenty of holes left. This season was rather boring IMO, and they fluffed it up to make it look dramatic with the horses scene that they kept playing for weeks before that episode even aired. Then the scene was a big dud, again... IMO.

The whole diatribe at the end doesn't bother me, the same knife in the chest method of killing does. What ever happened to Dexter in season 1, the first child murder he killed he drilled the guys head. I also found his choice of the kill room silly as in the past it's always where no one is expecting him to be... I mean come on! Wonder how they're going to proceed with this now.

Rev.

AxeHappy

Reaction score
Happened at the end of the 1st book...whatever...Disappointing. If it's been renewed for 2 seasons you know with a "Cliff-hanger" like that that nothing is actually going to happen.

Mr Violence

Reaction score
The whole diatribe at the end doesn't bother me, the same knife in the chest method of killing does. What ever happened to Dexter in season 1, the first child murder he killed he drilled the guys head. I also found his choice of the kill room silly as in the past it's always where no one is expecting him to be... I mean come on! Wonder how they're going to proceed with this now.

Rev.

My thoughts exactly. Dexter used to be a pro and he used to be creative and quirky. He used to be methodical and one step ahead of everyone and everything, outsmarting even the best characters on the show.

Now, the plots are all based on him fucking up and being careless. It's all the writers have to fall back on. It's literally the catalyst to every plot progression. He fucks up and it creates tension. That's it. He's just getting super sloppy and is a pathetic shadow of what he used to be. Also, my roommates loved it, but it was ALL the shock value of the "twist" ending. I feel like the whole season was just a vehicle for that last 10 seconds. They didn't even show Travis' face or final moments, making him completely forgettable as a character. He didn't even use the sword for the kill. He picked an ACTIVE CRIME SCENE as the kill room. What the FUCK are you doing Dexter?

I tried real hard to like it, but in the end, I realized they counted on the twist ending to cover up all the shit writing in this season. Really careless.

Rev2010

Contributor
Reaction score
He didn't even use the sword for the kill. He picked an ACTIVE CRIME SCENE as the kill room. What the FUCK are you doing Dexter?

Exactly. I also wish they'd ease off on the "next super serial killer" motif. That's why I liked season 2 so much, though I did love 1 & 4 and that was killer based. But season two showed creativity because it was more about his personal issues as well as the threat of being found out. I'm sure they could come up with a more intriguing story line than just another super serial killer, it gets tiring. I liked when he's going after the smaller time killers.

Rev.

Mr Violence

Reaction score
Not to mention, I miss Season 1 where he had a new victim almost every episode. It was almost like a sitcom where there was a new plot for every episode but there was still a story arc overarching the season.

Now, it just seems like it's a 12 hour movie. Maybe that's why I get so damned disappointed.

kung_fu

Vulcan Lute God
Reaction score
Ugh. I'll be back to vent about this season later. For now, I'll just say that to me this past season felt like watching two less than satisfying seasons slammed back-to-back. It really could have been done much better. It's like the writers came up with a few good ideas, had a big party to celebrate their genius, got hammered, then wrote it while hung-over a few hours before the deadline.

About the ending:
This was the most anticipated moment in the arc of the series, and they ruined it by leading up to it with all of the deb loves dexter bs. There was no real build up, so the moment just sort of ...happened. I could see if they were trying to shock and surprise us, but it is a little late for that

About....Deb:
Ugh....where to start :lol:. Are Psychiatrists just supposed to let their very troubled patients do all of the crazy shit that pops into their heads? She doesn't say much apart from "what do you think?", which is the wrong thing to be asking this obviously troubled individual.
tumblr_lq2zjxylcm1qa5s12o1_500.jpg
I'm sure the whole deb/dex thing will end by her realizing that all she was really looking for was the brother/sister love thing

Demiurge

Reaction score
About the ending:
This was the most anticipated moment in the arc of the series, and they ruined it by leading up to it with all of the deb loves dexter bs. There was no real build up, so the moment just sort of ...happened. I could see if they were trying to shock and surprise us, but it is a little late for that

About....Deb:
Ugh....where to start :lol:. Are Psychiatrists just supposed to let their very troubled patients do all of the crazy shit that pops into their heads? She doesn't say much apart from "what do you think?", which is the wrong thing to be asking this obviously troubled individual. I'm sure the whole deb/dex thing will end by her realizing that all she was really looking for was the brother/sister love thing

I'm still trying to figure-out why the writers wanted to do this. The best I can think of is that
they planned on having Deb find out that Dexter was a murderer but somehow not want to put him behind bars. The writers must have decided that the love between siblings wouldn't be enough, but crazy-incest-obsession love would be.
The logic behind that is, of course, just as insane but I can't think of anything saner.

Rev2010

Contributor
Reaction score
Well obviously they are going to make her OK with it simply going by how she let "the vigilante(s)" get away with taking out Jordan Chase in the last seasons finale. And yeah, that Dexter painting was awful, laughable really. I liked Lila's Dex painting, that was far more eerie looking.

Rev.

GazPots

Is A Complete Idiot.
Reaction score
I just started watching season 1 again. It's almost like a completely different show than what it is now.

Also Doakes is a badass. :lol:

slapnutz

Reaction score
Just finished season 6 ... it was ok.

Personally nothing had a greater impact than the ending of season 4.

I dont follow the books so I hope whatever is left (if its still based on the books) had some good stuff remaining.

AxeHappy

Reaction score
The 1st season was kind of sort of based on the 1st book.

Pretty much everything sense then has had jack shit to do with the books.

Sepultorture

Murder Machine
Reaction score
well i for one found the whole of season 6 to be atleast entertaining, only gripe was the final scene, had the whole bottle rocket effect, cheap and meh

STILL, should make for some interesting dynamic in season 7. hopefully though something a little more interesting happens, getting sick of him just using that same knife over and over again

zappatton2

Reaction score
Addressing some spoiler material here:

Frankly, I found the whole "Deb falling in love with her brother" angle pretty unbearable, I don't care if they are not blood related, that is just wrong. And the whole season, everybody throwing religion at Dexter was just irritating. Him giving it honest consideration was too much in my books. Why can't he just stay a science guy, what's wrong with that? I dunno, this season did have some good moments, but for me, it was my least favorite by far, and the first season where things actually bothered me, as opposed to the season before, where I was just bored with certain parts of it. I do like the Hanks junior though, he also played a serial killer in the movie Lucky, and that was a much more entertaining watch I must say.

Demiurge

Reaction score
And the whole season, everybody throwing religion at Dexter was just irritating. Him giving it honest consideration was too much in my books. Why can't he just stay a science guy, what's wrong with that?

Yeah, it's kind of turned into a situation where each season it's "in this special season, Dexter learns about ________" and this season it was religion... though in the beginning it seemed to be more about redemption (with Brother Sam) and then some morass about purpose or something toward the end.

I thought it was a promising turn when
Dexter's brother replaced Harry as the "voice of conscience"
but then that was abandoned within one episode. It seems like every season, Dexter realizes that he can't be like other people yet never embraces who/what he really is- and for one episode it almost seemed like he was finally going to do it, then he didn't.

')