Dexter

• Thread starter Karl Hungus
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

AxeHappy

Reaction score
Fuck, man, I hated season 1. Dexter seemed too one-dimensional.

That's kind of the point. The guy is a sociopath. He doesn't have any feelings.

He fakes a job to blend in, then he kills people. For fun.

I think the books are vastly superior to the TV show as well.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Mexi

Reaction score
actually, Dexter doesn't kill cause he finds it "fun", it's more of a release for him, or dealing with his "dark passenger" or whatever. I think the show has expanded on Lindsay's character of Dexter, showing how he can change and become a better person, despite his need to kill. Throughout the show he has continually told himself in his monologues that he's not human or has no feelings, but in trying to fake his way through his life, he actually realizes he does have a shred of humanity in him (particularly now that he has a son)

AxeHappy

Reaction score
Well, he sure had fun when he was killing. Playing around inside of people abdomen's and whatnot. It's not a quick thing like it is in the show.

jaredowty

Reaction score
Fuck, man, I hated season 1. Dexter seemed too one-dimensional.

Um...how so? He's always been a serial killer with a heart of gold outside of his killing, who only kills bad people yet feels no sympathy for his victims. Sounds pretty damn three-dimensional to me (and a possible pyschological contradiction, but that's a different discussion altogether). I really don't see how a fan of the show could hate season one, kind of boggles my mind actually...you trollin, bro?

I find this whole series arc of Dexter "finding his own emotions" to be incredibly pointless and grating. We've ALWAYS known he has emotions (remember the pilot episode where one minute he says he has no feelings and the next minute he's screaming at his victim..?), and that he really does care for Deb, Rita and the kids...yet the writers feel like they have to spoonfeed it to us over and over, and have slowly turned him into a goddamn pussy (Season Five anyone?). He was much more interesting in the first two seasons when he was a cold, effective killer grappling with his own morality and existence in the world while skillfully getting himself out of some rough yet believable situations, rather than the sloppy, pansy-ass superhero he's turned into the last few years.

I made a thread on the official Dexter forums called "The Adventures of Dexter Morgan", explaining what the show has lost since Season Two: http://dexterwiki.wetpaint.com/thread/4643187/"The+Adventures+of+Dexter+Morgan"

I watched the first three episodes of Season Six and they were pretty bad IMO. I don't think I'll be continuing for the last few seasons unless they bust out something that actually breaks the formula, and even then I really don't have much hope for greatness. (Ah who am I kidding, I'll watch it all the way through for curiosity's sake even if it does suck..) :lol:

Demiurge

Reaction score
(Ah who am I kidding, I'll watch it all the way through for curiosity's sake even if it does suck..) :lol:

Same here. I tried to be too optimistic as the season began (the tableau of the 4 horsemen was arrestingly grotesque and awesome) and then found myself too pot-committed by the time the realization came that it was a dud. The writers just seem lost. The show used to be a dark comedy and now it's a melodrama with awkward attempts at levity (Angel's midlife crisis car and Quinn becoming a fattie-banging drunk- tee hee).

Demiurge

Reaction score
Honestly, if I were running a crime drama, I couldn't think of a better time than the penultimate episode of an all-over-the-place season to introduce an
incest
subplot. I figured that I would use the spoiler tag to protect the uninitiated from the mind-blowing what-the-fuck-ness of the proceedings.

Shi7Disc0

Lifeisjusta....disco
Reaction score
Firefly was complete crap. The movie was ok but the tv series was completely unmemorable - Wonderfalls on the other hand was pretty different and I liked it.

I dont know about wonderfalls, but if you thought Firefly sucked, id say we arent into the same things. "Serenity", which was supposed to wrap up the season was...... a terrible movie and had absolutely no conclusion to the show, everything was left wide open and they killed off Alan Tudyk which was a d!ck move on the writers part. I wont even get started on those tards working at Fox, didnt even give the show a chance. The show was excellent, the execution was... less than acceptable.

GazPots

Is A Complete Idiot.
Reaction score
Honestly, if I were running a crime drama, I couldn't think of a better time than the penultimate episode of an all-over-the-place season to introduce an
incest
subplot. I figured that I would use the spoiler tag to protect the uninitiated from the mind-blowing what-the-fuck-ness of the proceedings.

Even more bizarrely,
the actors playing Dex and Deb were (for a time) real life husband and wife.

Super wtf!

Demiurge

Reaction score
Even more bizarrely,
the actors playing Dex and Deb were (for a time) real life husband and wife.

Super wtf!

Oh yeah, and apparently the divorce wasn't exactly amicable, either. I figured that this season they were going to shoot scenes so the both of them didn't have to be near each other, but nope- absolutely not! :lol:

Animus

Reaction score
Wonder if they will kill off Deb this season.

jam3v

wat
Reaction score
I watched the first 3 episodes of the new season and it just didn't draw me in. I felt like the last 2 seasons lacked as well, but the first few really blew me away.

I felt really uncomfortable watching the first season of this show. After all, you're following around a serial killer, and a lot of the time you're meant to identify with him on all levels outside of killing people. It's a novel idea, but I think it's lost impact after so many seasons.

Just my opinion.

GazPots

Is A Complete Idiot.
Reaction score
Where is it going with the lab geek/collector weirdo sending dexter the ice truck killer evidence (fake hand)?

chronocide

Total Grind Hell
Reaction score
Couldn't agree more. If there are any shows, past or present, as good as Dexter or Breaking Bad, I'd really love to know about them.

Ignoring everything bar dramas...

The Sopranos, The West Wing, Game of Thrones, Boardwalk Empire, Battlestar Galactica, Deadwood, Mad Men, Twin Peaks, The Wire, Band of Brother, The Prisoner...

All better than either ;)

jaredowty

Reaction score
Ignoring everything bar dramas...

The Sopranos, The West Wing, Game of Thrones, Boardwalk Empire, Battlestar Galactica, Deadwood, Mad Men, Twin Peaks, The Wire, Band of Brother, The Prisoner...

All better than either ;)

None of those shows come close to the type of suspense/intensity seen in Breaking Bad or early Dexter. Some of them have far more depth, though (Deadwood, The Wire, and from what I hear, Twin Peaks). It really just depends what you're looking for in a show. Personally I think The Wire slays everything because of it unmatched realsim, scope and depth, but it isn't anywhere near as intense or addicting as BB or Dexter.

The Sopranos and Mad Men are the two most overrated dramas ever. Seriously, the amount of praise these two mediocre shows receive is borderline disturbing (particularly Mad Men, which is really nothing more than a glorified soap opera with super-pretentious dialogue).

chronocide

Total Grind Hell
Reaction score
None of those shows come close to the type of suspense/intensity seen in Breaking Bad or early Dexter. Some of them have far more depth, though (Deadwood, The Wire, and from what I hear, Twin Peaks). It really just depends what you're looking for in a show. Personally I think The Wire slays everything because of it unmatched realsim, scope and depth, but it isn't anywhere near as intense or addicting as BB or Dexter.

The Sopranos and Mad Men are the two most overrated dramas ever. Seriously, the amount of praise these two mediocre shows receive is borderline disturbing (particularly Mad Men, which is really nothing more than a glorified soap opera with super-pretentious dialogue).

I enjoy both Dexter and Breaking Bad (BB far more than Dexter), but I tend to feel that suspense/intensity is just a device to try and have you forget about the preposterous plots. And they keep you coming back with really sledgehammered cliffhangers. Which is obviously extremely effective but is lazy storytelling in my book.

They're just extremely "American" in delivery, I suppose, and I find it a bit tiresome eventually.

Mr. Big Noodles

Theory God
Reaction score
Where is it going with the lab geek/collector weirdo sending dexter the ice truck killer evidence (fake hand)?

Think of the most retarded thing that can come of that. Now go one more retarded. It's one more retarded than that. Or at least that's how I envision it, judging by the way this season's going. I don't know, he'll use it to propose to the former intern and the show will devolve into soap opera drama between the interns, Angel's sister, and all of the other minor characters introduced during this season.

Demiurge

Reaction score
Any predictions for the season finale?

Rumor has it that a major character is going to die. Since the season has been hammering the whole "salvation/redemption" theme and is going out of their way to show that Quinn is in a dark place right now, I'm guessing it's going to be him. He'll probably get killed-off while making some magnanimous sacrifice, but I can't tell if it will be for Angel (since Quinn got called-out for being a bad partner), Deb (apparently Deb's vagina is like that video in The Ring, see it and death is guaranteed), or for Dexter's kid (since it's all about him learning lessons or whatever).

My only hope for the show to improve would be for God to intervene, kill DDK and bring Doakes back from the dead. Zombie Doakes might just be able to save the show.

Demiurge

Reaction score
Boy was I off.

Pretty much the typical season-ending where
Dexter has the villain on the table and gives a speech summarizing the concept that the writers tried really hard to hammer home
. Funny how the boat at the beginning was named "Milagro." Should have been named "Deus Ex Machina."

')