DI Cabinet Simulator With/Without Load Box

• Thread starter jlagoon
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jlagoon

Reaction score
Hi fellas:

Has anyone ever used any DI box with cabinet simulator (with or without load box)? What is your experience with it?

A few units that get my interest:
- Behringer Ultra GI100
- Palmer PDI-03
- Palmer PGA-04

I have a rack setup, and think that hauling my rack without the cabinet or with the cabinet sans micing the amp would be great. Ty Tabor from King's X uses an Egnater DI box, and his live tone was great without micing his cabinets, when I saw him last year.

This solution is quite costly though. Two Palmer PGA-04 (for stereo rig) cost $1200.

Thank you

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I've used a couple Palmer units in a studio before, they sound amazing. Though, I really don't remember what models they were.

I think there are some older Palmer units out there that still sound really good, but can be had for relatively cheap. It would definitely be worth looking into.

Sorry, I know that wasn't much help.

7 Dying Trees

Forum MVP
Reaction score
7th Ethereal Plane of interstellar hell, Innit Bru
I'm a massive fan of the palmers, the pga-04 is basically a tweakable version of the PDI03, I'd go for the PGA-04 because of that.

I love mine, have used it on several recordings so far, and it sounds great and lets me use my amps at home. Not only that, but I used it for a large part of the last cof tour I did, and it really did give an awesomely chunky jackhammer live sound and still allowed me to have a cab attached (it has a through jack, if you plug into that it disables the load in the palmer, so you can run with or without a cab)

Basically the palmers out of those, they're awesome for studio use and hold up really well to touring abuse :)

If you want an example of what they sound like, i recorded the last chaosanct stuff with a 5150 and a VHT UL running through a palmer PGA-04, you can check it out here: http://www.chaosanct.com

Fionn

Reaction score
i use a pdi 09 and its sick, awesome tone from such a small cheap box!

This solution is quite costly though. Two Palmer PGA-04 (for stereo rig) cost $1200.

Try the 05, its a powered stereo rack version for about £400 ($650) ish!

jlagoon

Reaction score
Thanks, men

7 Dying Trees; your band sounds great, and tight. The mix has that "kicking" sound. I would check out your band, if I ever visit the UK. I read your review of the PGA-04, and you mentioned that the signal coming out of the PGA-04 lacks the "air" element. I think, it is fair that the PGA-04 does not have this element. Nevertheless, have you ever found a workaround to add the "air" element?

Fionn; I think, the PGA-05 does not have any load box. Someone at the SeymourDuncan forum mentioned using Weber mass. Perhaps a PGA-05 with a Weber Stereo mass is an alternative for a less expensive solution < $900.

I am still thinking, whether these would be good long term investments (not to be re-sold). Perhaps, it is comparable to buying quality condenser mics as the AKG 414 series.

S-O

t(-.-t)
Reaction score
For studio use, you could just make a load box, haha, it just get's really hot.

Live, a home made load box that can use IR's would be a bit difficult.

Palmer it is :yesway:

Do you use in ear monitors?

7 Dying Trees

Forum MVP
Reaction score
7th Ethereal Plane of interstellar hell, Innit Bru
the pga-04 is mono, but has a load, and is cheaper than the pga-05.

Air element wise, there's not that much in it to be honest, if youw ant airy then i suggest grabbing the preamp out and experimenting with impulses which also works quite nicely!

The air is more room abience you'd get from micing up in an actual room, kind of imagine it as a bit of spread from the air moving, you may be able to "fake it" with a convolution room reverb 9impulse reverb) or something along those lines, but to be honest, the palmer does capture the amp really well, and I actually really like how it gives you a very tight dry sound.

as for long term investment, i'm glad i bought my palmer, it's been very usefull, and I even bought another one (which i had to resell due to finances being a bit screwed) so I am a firm believer!

jlagoon

Reaction score
Hi S-O; I don't use in-ear monitor currently; just studio headphones.

Your responses have been helpful. I am skewed to get the Palmer units.

')