Did Broderick head over to Dean?

• Thread starter zak
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

djpharoah

Awwww Yeaaaah
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Well, I take private lessons with the man himself, and I have personally played his prototype for the signature jackson he's designing. I have to say, it is SO SWEET too. And it's a 6 string. You guys will not be disappointed by Jackson. He said to me that Ibanez wouldn't give him enough freedom in the design and was using his name without his permission in various models and Jackson let him do whatever he wants. You'll hear about it publicly soon.

Nice - Jacksons are awesome :D

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Xiphos68

Reaction score
Will he still play the Ibanez 7 strings and does he really like the Jackson guitars better than Ibanez?
As far as playability not the company.

splinter8451

Reaction score
Well it is good that he is getting a sig :)

But, it sucks that it is a 6, and is not with Ibanez :lol:

WishIwasfinnish

Reaction score
I'm looking forward to this possible Jackson sig.
Do you know any of the specs?

I'm not going to reveal too much, but it has a special body shape of his design, 24 frets, floating trem, ebony board, and I think the pickups were Duncans. And the one I played has a really nice gray flame maple top.

Also, I think he definitely likes the playability of Ibanezes more, at least that's what I gather, but I know that he really likes Jacksons as well. And he's going to continue to play Ibanez 7's, but I think in Megadeth he'll be using the jackson model

djpharoah

Awwww Yeaaaah
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Well, I take private lessons with the man himself, and I have personally played his prototype for the signature jackson he's designing. I have to say, it is SO SWEET too. And it's a 6 string. You guys will not be disappointed by Jackson. He said to me that Ibanez wouldn't give him enough freedom in the design and was using his name without his permission in various models and Jackson let him do whatever he wants. You'll hear about it publicly soon.

I'm not going to reveal too much, but it has a special body shape of his design, 24 frets, floating trem, ebony board, and I think the pickups were Duncans. And the one I played has a really nice gray flame maple top.

Also, I think he definitely likes the playability of Ibanezes more, at least that's what I gather, but I know that he really likes Jacksons as well. And he's going to continue to play Ibanez 7's, but I think in Megadeth he'll be using the jackson model

Once he gets used to the compound radius fretboard he'll probably switch over especially if he's playings 6s.

MSalonen

Reaction score
Will he still play the Ibanez 7 strings and does he really like the Jackson guitars better than Ibanez?
As far as playability not the company.

Honestly, a custom made guitar from Jackson is probably not all that different in overall quality/playability from one by Ibanez, or pretty much any other major guitar company (or good luthier) for that matter. Especially when you're factoring in them having very similar specs.

Which is probably why professional guitarists really don't seem to care nearly as much as casual/amateur players about brands.

Granted, it does make a much bigger difference when you're talking about production model guitars as opposed to those from a custom shop. But the former is not what guys like Broderick are dealing with, obviously. Which is why those other things (the business deal, freedom of choice, etc) are the real deciding factors.

Thep

Blast & Sweep
Reaction score
I know it shouldn't but this makes me sad. He's been using Ibby's for so long. Dimarzios too. I was really hoping for an Ibanez sig.

I'm also surprised at Ibanez...Now that the loyal guy is playing with one of the biggest metal bands in history, they weren't flexible enough to work with his specs? The video on the GWB series bass made it seem they could do anything.

ittoa666

Being confused on SS.org since 2008
Reaction score
Kerry King was at the dean booth last year, so I'm gonna say no to this.

WishIwasfinnish

Reaction score
I know it shouldn't but this makes me sad. He's been using Ibby's for so long. Dimarzios too. I was really hoping for an Ibanez sig.

I'm also surprised at Ibanez...Now that the loyal guy is playing with one of the biggest metal bands in history, they weren't flexible enough to work with his specs? The video on the GWB series bass made it seem they could do anything.

Yeah so was I when I heard the story. Apparently Ibanez also made a 7 and said it was inspired by one of Chris Broderick's custom shop guitars without even telling him, and then they wouldn't let him work the body shape at all because they thought it wouldn't sell. Too bad, I also wanted to see a Broderick Ibanez sig

Skirvin

Skirvin'
Reaction score
I have a 6 string Jackson and I must admit I prefer it to the 6 string Ibanez prestige RG my mate has. That being said ... I love my 7 string Ibanez.

I suppose as long as he gets the guitar he is after and they aren't throwing his name about then its all good, right?

Triple-J

the Experimetalist
Reaction score
the rain soaked post industrial wasteland known as
At past NAMM's Robb Flynn and Kerry King have appeared/played at the Dean booth so I don't think this is much to worry about plus it's NAMM which is just a giant guitar orgy anyway so if he does use a Dean just for the show it won't really mean anything.

Reaction score
Megadeth Jackson sig..

Best news in years.

')