Diezel Herbert! (Photos & Nick's Initial Thoughts)

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Here are some pics to drool over. I'll post my thoughts below :metal:

02.jpg

03.jpg

07.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

18.jpg

19.jpg

20.jpg

08.jpg

09.jpg

10.jpg

Initial Thoughts

· Man, these are heavy as HELL. Peter doesn't mess around here, this Herbert weighs in around 75-80 pounds!

· What a beautiful looking amp. I've played these before on multiple occasions, but usually in very unflattering light. This thing is gorgeous, perhaps the most metal looking amp I've ever seen, although the ENGL Invader and Framus Cobra (when turned on) look pretty cool too.

· Perfect feature set, wow. The amp mute function and the dedicated tuner out are things which I never thought to have but now wonder if I can ever live without. The 3 separate loops is awesome as well, as is the external biasing.

· The Herbert has 6 EL34s, it sounds great but being a VHT diehard I'd love to pop some KT's in this monster and see what happens. I don't think it would be even necessary though as this amp has all the headroom and tightness in the world even w/ the EL34s.

· Blown away by the cleans on this thing. Very loud, very punchy, full-bodied and musical. Definitely one of the best cleans I've heard on a high-gain head (The Sig:X probably still takes the cake there).

· Channel 2 so far is my favorite. Brutality and gain for days but not as compressed as channel 3. Both sound great though. I'm still just scratching the surface. My favorite tone so far is on channel 2 w/ the "+/-" set to "+", gain about 3/4 of the way up, mids around noon, treble around 10'oclock, bass around 9 o'clock, channel volume nearly maxed, etc. In other words, the same settings as I use on my VHT pretty much haha.

· I'm pretty much in love with this thing. I only played it briefly since it is for sale and I just tested it briefly, but so far so good! I'll be placing another order w/ the fine people at Diezel USA next week. I may have to get one of these for myself eventually :metal:

Also, I welcome any and all Diezel users to get in touch with me and give me your thoughts. I'd love to ask some questions to you guys as well. This means you Nolly and Kevin! ;)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

WhiteShadow

Banned
Reaction score
Mmmmm, new Herberts still in the plastic wrap!!

I was also really impressed by the cleans when i got mine, especially considering i was just gonna use my Mark IV for my cleans exclusively. I still prefer my Mark IV's cleans though. However, your spot on with the comment about them being really damn good for a high gain amp not really regarded for its cleans.

All the mini toggles piss me off though, i've already snapped 2 of them in half! They seem very well made, but i guess i'm just too rough with my equipment. And they ARE heavy little fucks, as well as being constructed in the typical german fashion...bullet-proof. I've literally dropped mine twice before, once on concrete and once against a wooden table, and the amp pretty much told me "Is that all you got??....Pussy!". Lol. I was also really surprised none of the tubes were damaged in both those incidents either.

I'm also anxious to check out the Axe Palace site when its up and running!

Regardless, nice and accurate review.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
All the mini toggles piss me off though, i've already snapped 2 of them in half! They seem very well made, but i guess i'm just too rough with my equipment. And they ARE heavy little fucks, as well as being constructed in the typical german fashion...bullet-proof. I've literally dropped mine twice before, once on concrete and once against a wooden table, and the amp pretty much told me "Is that all you got??....Pussy!". Lol.

Haha, may I recommend investing in the Columbus? ;)

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
looks good. and by mean looks good, i mean i need to test it. and by i need to test it, i mean ship it over so i can test it. and by ship it over, i mean now.

so i guess all i really said was "now" :scratch:

:yum:

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
clips or they were never on! :p

and im glad you understand :wub:

Gregk

Reaction score
This is probably just me being paranoid, but won't the bottom rubber things on the Vht put marks on the Diezel's tolex?

It's happened to my friend's cobra. Once again, probably me being paranoid.:lol:

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
all he needs now is an ENGL SE and he has the three most expensive amps ever

I dont think the VHT quite falls into that category ;)

but i know what you're driving at, and yes nick is a bit of a bastid for being a dealer of great gear lol

petereanima

Br00tal Bubbly Mofo
Reaction score
My favorite tone so far is on channel 2 w/ the "+/-" set to "+", gain about 3/4 of the way up, mids around noon, treble around 10'oclock, bass around 9 o'clock, channel volume nearly maxed, etc.

now turn back the channel vol. to ~11:00 and crank the master more. :cool: my settings depend on the gutiar i'm using but its always around mids: 1:00 -treble: noon - bass: 11:00.

also turn the presence and deep to noon - heaven is waiting for you there! :)

and yeah, channel" in "+" is just pure awesomeness, and i would say also my favourite. very "compact" and tight, and looooow, and punching you in the stomach....but still very "honest" and playing-responsible...writing this makes me want to play it NOW, i'm so glad its rehearsal-day today. :lol:

and yeah, the tuner out and mute function are some VERY cool features, esp. if you have rack-equipment and control everything via midi. i have yet to try out the compensated output, which i think is also a cool feature, but i guess you need a good sound-tech then, because the signal is with distortion, but before it hits the EQ-section.

-Nolly-

Reaction score
Nice one mate, if you have an 8-string at yours at the moment, you should run to go and get it. At volume the low end clarity is absolutely insane.
Are you getting hold of some Diezel cabs to match? I've never heard the Diezel stuff sound at its best without the matching cabs, so if you like how it sounds now, you'll probably cream yourself with it plugged into one of the front-loaders.
Also, try not to be blinded by the blue LEDs, those things are stupidly bright!

Now you just need to get hold of a VH4 :metal:

loktide

dotlike
Contributor
Reaction score
nice :yesway:

now you should definitely get a VH4 for the axe-palace, too