Diferences between nec scales

• Thread starter shoemaker27
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

shoemaker27

Reaction score
Hi, anybody could post the differences between the neck scales? 27'' or 25 1/2in a seven string guitar??

Thanks a lot!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
its 2 frets longer, basically ;p
If you put a capo on the 2nd fret of a 27" scale, its a 25.5" scale, if i remeber right.

ajdehoogh

blarg
Contributor
Reaction score
What would like to know? I can get you whatever measurments you want. Just let me know. Later

Jeff

Banned from Reality
Reaction score
HateBreeder said:
its 2 frets longer, basically ;p
If you put a capo on the 2nd fret of a 27" scale, its a 25.5" scale, if i remeber right.

27" necks still have 24 frets (usually). They just have more space between frets. Ask Shannon, he's got an RG7421XL.

Even the Warmoth baritone 7 has 24 frets, and it's like 28.75" or something.

Papa Shank

Be-otch
Reaction score
the difference is simple, the length between the nut and the bridge is equal to 27", 1.5" longer than a "fender" scale. Which means it can hold lower tunings better than a 25.5" or shorter scale. It is slightly harder to play at first because the frets are further apart but other than that there is no difference, if a normal Rg had 24 frets so would it's 27" version.

about the frets, on ANY convensional guitar or bass there can only ever be a certain number of frets, regardless of scale. I think it must be around ummm, 60 I think. Anyway what I'm saying is the scale does not effect the number of frets a guitar will have.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Intuiitively, that almost HAS to be wrong, but then again, you could say the same about the impossibility of folding a sheet of paper more than 7 times, regardless of size - it sounds absurd, but it's true. Hmm.

Edit - well, it's possible to have more than 60 frets on a guitar if you don't worry about properly intonating them - i.e, if you put a fret every quarter inch on a standard 25.5" neck, you'd have 102 frets, with no problems. Just, you couldn't play accurate pitches on it to save your life. :lol:

Papa Shank

Be-otch
Reaction score
Drew said:
Intuiitively, that almost HAS to be wrong, but then again, you could say the same about the impossibility of folding a sheet of paper more than 7 times, regardless of size - it sounds absurd, but it's true. Hmm.

Edit - well, it's possible to have more than 60 frets on a guitar if you don't worry about properly intonating them - i.e, if you put a fret every quarter inch on a standard 25.5" neck, you'd have 102 frets, with no problems. Just, you couldn't play accurate pitches on it to save your life. :lol:
:lol:
well, I did say conventional kind of hinting half step, you could do quarter step blah blah and have alot more frets blah blah blah yeah.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Nah, quarter step would give you the same problem - basically, the 24th fret is half as far away from the 12th as the 12th is from the nut. To exterpolate, each additional octave is half as long as the previous, then if you went to 36 frets (3 octaves), your third octave would find you squeezing 12 frets into the space normally reserved for 5, and if you went to 48, your last 12 frets would be forced to fit in the space that's usually your 12th-17th - only a few inches. You can see the problem. :lol:

Now, if you did an even distance (rather than a proportional one, which is needed to ensure proper intonation)between frets, there's no limit. Need 500 frets? simply have a fretboard a hair over 10 feet, and put a fret every quarter inch. :lol:

Shannon

Lord Super Awesome
Contributor
Reaction score
The difference between 25.5" & 27" is 1.5". Thank you! I'll be here all week. :lol:

Would you like to get a bit more specific in your question? :yesway:

Papa Shank

Be-otch
Reaction score
Drew said:
Nah, quarter step would give you the same problem - basically, the 24th fret is half as far away from the 12th as the 12th is from the nut. To exterpolate, each additional octave is half as long as the previous, then if you went to 36 frets (3 octaves), your third octave would find you squeezing 12 frets into the space normally reserved for 5, and if you went to 48, your last 12 frets would be forced to fit in the space that's usually your 12th-17th - only a few inches. You can see the problem. :lol:

Now, if you did an even distance (rather than a proportional one, which is needed to ensure proper intonation)between frets, there's no limit. Need 500 frets? simply have a fretboard a hair over 10 feet, and put a fret every quarter inch. :lol:
:lol:

')