Digital equipment - buy used, or buy new for the warranty?

• Thread starter Hollowway
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
I haven't bought any digital stuff (i.e. modelers) for yeeeears. But I want to get a Darkglass Microtubes Infinity. It's a modeler, so it's not easily repairable, given the PCB. If I buy new, I'm looking at $600 (maaaaaybe less, if they get put on sale, ever), or $450-520 used (without sales tax, if I find one on CL or FB). Darkglass has a 2 year warranty. I won't be taking this thing out of the house, so I know when I have it here, it will be babied. But I can't vouch for whoever used it before me, if I go used. What do you guys think? I'd normally buy used, but with only $100-150 price difference, I wonder if I'm being a fool to not get one new, and have the long ass warranty.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I mean that's always the gamble when going used right?

If the $150 is worth the peace of mind, then I wouldn't think twice.

That said, I've never had a fairly new piece of digital gear just stop working, and Darkglass stuff in particular has been solid. Heck, I dropped my AO head off of an 810 and it didn't even shut off.

Are there any known issues with these that are making you think it might need the warranty as a given?

crushingpetal

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
If I buy new, I'm looking at $600 (maaaaaybe less, if they get put on sale, ever)
I didn't pay full price for either of my 2 dg pedals. Make some phone calls or send some emails, someone will give you 10--15% off easy. I'll eat my hat if they don't.

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Idk about the Infinity, but the Element and possibly the ADAM units had some issues with the touch sliders and possibly connectivity issues with apps. Could have been specific to those two or just the Element and later units might have those issues resolved. You'd have to do some digging on that.

If you're really worried I'd go new with a product guarantee, otherwise used is probably fine.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
There's a guy about 30 min away selling for $450 that I'm talking with online now. He's got a minty unit that looks brand new in the photos. I've bought all my amps used, but I haven't got any digital stuff used recently, so I'm sure I'm just being paranoid. I figure, even with @crushingpetal 's uneaten-hat discount, I'm still saving over $100.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
Y'all have seen me post about my troubles with the FM3 without a warranty. They're as "pro" as it gets, "build like a tank", and all of those things that people like to say, but it still had defects and the warranty wasn't transferable. I managed to break the USB, which I think most people know the story of already, and the power button broke right off, which I managed to repair myself.

There's also the awful luck I've had with used cabinets. Don't discount the possibility that people will sell things off because they don't want to deal with something.

Let me be your example that even if 99% of the time a warranty does nothing and used products work just as good as new, that last 1% really stings.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Weird, one posted in Toronto yesterday for around $400usd :lol:

sleewell

Reaction score
I bought a used helix lt 3 or 4 years ago and haven't had any issues. Back and forth from rehearsal twice a week. Lots of shows. It's holding up great.

')