digital slam drums

Calija

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Ive got a bunch of shit written to start a band with, I can do guitar bass and vocals easy, but I dont own a drum kit, know how to play drums, or even record drums.
I do however have a keyboard with a drum pad.
Just looking for some advice on how to make digital drums sound real and organic, especially with how unpolished slam metal sounds.
also any good drum pack recommendations with that stupid slam snare would be much appreciated.
Im also using audacity to record it, (ik audacity is kinda ass, its all Ive got for now) I don't know if that makes any difference.
Let me know if Im being stupid and missing something obvious, I have 0 recording knowledge.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
The key is humanization and velocity adjustment. Push things slightly off time, and realize that a human cannot do 127 velocity for 3 minutes straight through a blast beat. Adjust each hit's velocity to roughly make it sound like a human. This will go a long way.

Masoo2

Reaction score
Drum sample recommendations for slam? Ugritone has some great "nasty" sounding libraries perfect for slam and they're all on sale right now:

or perhaps the new GGD OKW Brutal kit - I quite like it compared to everything else they've released, listen to the demos on YouTube from Heriot or Isaac Hale of Knocked Loose:

Download and use Reaper instead of Audacity - please.

Slam is one of the few subgenres where you can really get away with doing stupid unrealistic stuff with the programming, I'd just watch some tutorials on programming blast beats of various kinds to get a general understanding of it.

If you're looking for something more drag-and-drop to focus solely on writing riffs, Ugritone has some MIDI packs in slam, beatdown and grindcore styles that I've found quite decent.

')