Digitech GSP1101 or X3 Live

• Thread starter Jzbass25
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Jzbass25

Reaction score
Guys I've been on a sort of quest to get some effects for like a year now and I really want an Axe-fx but that isn't a realistic thing in college atm. I have debated on a g-major and things like that but I think I may want amp models for recording and for some extra tones my Legacy cannot get.

I have been looking at the GSP1101 and I can't find that much on it other than it sounds natural, has external/internal preamp switching, but less effects and options than a pod x3. (Also that dweezil used them until he got axe-fx's.)

I was wondering if you guys had experience with either the x3 or the digitech because I am really torn between them. The line 6 has bass amps and stuff which is cool because then I could have some quiet bass practice without rolling out the mesa rig (I left at home) that I use for gigs. But since I have a head amp I really love the digitech's internal/external preamp switching system and I'd like the effects to be as natural as can be.

Also if you guys know, please tell me if one is better at cutting volume. I use an eq pedal paired with a weber mass lite to cut my legacy's volume but I'd like to get rid of the eq pedal and just use my effects.

Sorry if I missed a thread already about this but I've been scouring here, jemsite, harmony central and other websites for this info and it is pretty hard to find.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TomAwesome

I LIKE JUICE!!!
Reaction score
I liked my X3, but based on what people around here have said about it, it seems like the 1101 is the way to go. It's on my list of stuff to pick up if I ever see one cheap.

troyguitar

Reaction score
I'd look at the RP1000 instead of the GSP1101. It's the same thing for the same price except you get it in a nice package just like the X3 Live.

I've owned the DigiTech stuff but not the Line6 so I can't really compare the two. What I can say is that I still play through my RP250 a lot even though I have two Mesas in the same room (DC-5 and MkIIC+), so it's certainly capable of sounding pretty good :lol:

djpharoah

Awwww Yeaaaah
Super Moderator
Reaction score
GSP1101 > * except the Axe-FX series.

It's really that fucking great. I've looked at soo many and tried so many. The tones from this thing is just unreal.

krsp

Reaction score
I have the GSP1101. If you end up getting it, make sure you head over to mustbebeta.com and upgrade it straight away. You get a shitload more tones (and better ones). The thing that concerns me a little is that since I have bought mine (a few months ago) there seemed to be a big gung ho about the development, even one of the Digitech coders runs mustbebeta (probably why it works so well), but nowadays, there doesn't seem to be the same push for enhancements... I am still happy with it though, it does a helluva good job. If you put it through a tube power section using the "flat" setting - holy shit, dude! It sounds great! I normally use mine through studio speakers though...it still sounds fantastic! Thing is, that for recording, I was unable to get the sound through the USB without a terrible buzzing. Luckily I had a toneport lying around that I use with the GSP, through XLR and then finally through USB. If you are able, try one out to make sure it is everything that you want!

djpharoah

Awwww Yeaaaah
Super Moderator
Reaction score
^+1

Believe it or not my hi-gain pre-amp is a Marshal JMP Master Volume. It sounds bone crushing. I have a few great Dual Recto patches, 5150, Marshalls, piezos...

For me recording is great and I run it through Mackie 75 Studio Monitors. Just absolutely sweet and realistic. Nothing from L6 has ever excited me.

troyguitar

Reaction score
The USB recording works fine on my stuff. Latency is pretty much zero and the recorded tone sounds the same as the live tone through the same speakers.

Jzbass25

Reaction score
Wow thanks for the input. I hope I can find one used though, the line 6 is easy to find used but not the digitech. I don't know if I'll have the $500 for a new and I will probably have around 350-400 so pm me if you see one for a good price or want to sell one.

Orlando craigslist is surprisingly bland and ebay had one a day ago but I don't have the money till my birthday at the end of the week.

Thin_Ice_77

You'll never make it
Reaction score
I'm not sure if that was sarcasm or not, so I'll elaborate.

On paper the X3 live looks great. My synth player in my old band bought one and he let me borrow it for a couple of months, I just didn't get along with it. No matter how much I tweaked the sounds, I couldn't get a useable high gain tone. It always sounded fizzy, harsh and just obviously digital.

Effects are good on it, and the recording features and whatnot are handy as well. The lack of good 'metal' tones just ruined it for me though. I know I probably shouldn't compare, but my Boss GT6 was less than half the price and I think it pisses all over the X3.

Jzbass25

Reaction score
^^ I had a Gt-Pro awhile ago that I used before I got a real guitar amp and it was alright, but I couldn't get that many tones I really really liked. Possibly because my power amp wasn't too great. I sold it because it was too bulky and I didn't use the preamp very often after I got the Legacy. Plus it helped pay for my 1527 :p

The digitech is much more portable and it seems as if everyone loves the preamp and effects on it so score! haha

Btw what would be a poor mans Control 2 for the digitech? I really don't need it but I'm curious.

cow 7 sig

AU director / RHLC ©
Reaction score
Haven't played the Digitech, but the X3 live is really not that good. At all.

this is just your opinion and i guess YOU never got along with it.
many many players use the X3L for recording and live playing so it cant be as shitty as you make it out to be,just my opinion

Rick

ALL HAIL DJOD
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Does the GSP do dual modeling like the X3s?

Daemoniac

Rivethead Magnate.
Contributor
Reaction score
Haven't played the Digitech, but the X3 live is really not that good. At all.

I'm not sure if that was sarcasm or not, so I'll elaborate.

On paper the X3 live looks great. My synth player in my old band bought one and he let me borrow it for a couple of months, I just didn't get along with it. No matter how much I tweaked the sounds, I couldn't get a useable high gain tone. It always sounded fizzy, harsh and just obviously digital.

Effects are good on it, and the recording features and whatnot are handy as well. The lack of good 'metal' tones just ruined it for me though. I know I probably shouldn't compare, but my Boss GT6 was less than half the price and I think it pisses all over the X3.

It's all personal though man, and you say "lack of a good metal tone" from the X3... i've found (in all honesty) nothing but good metal tones, and good clean tones from it. It depends what you're looking for :shrug: The thing i don't think it does very well is the mid-gain rock/hard rock style tones. Sounds weak.

I will agree though, the Pod does sound rather digital. Whether that is good or bad depends on the player. Personally i love it. Whilst it doesn't have that 'warmth' to it that tubes do, it sounds more pristine (or if you want it, more filthy).

I've not tried the Digitech stuff, but for what it's worth im personally loving the tone and tweaking options of the Pod. The biggest downside for me personally is the 4 band semi-parametric EQ they have. I mean, it's all well and good, but it still only lets you really alter 4 bands of EQ.

Rick

ALL HAIL DJOD
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Touche.

I just really like the idea of combining two really great amps to get a nice think sound.

Jzbass25

Reaction score
I'd look at the RP1000 instead of the GSP1101. It's the same thing for the same price except you get it in a nice package just like the X3 Live.

I've owned the DigiTech stuff but not the Line6 so I can't really compare the two. What I can say is that I still play through my RP250 a lot even though I have two Mesas in the same room (DC-5 and MkIIC+), so it's certainly capable of sounding pretty good :lol:

Doesn't the GSP use 2 of their DNA chips so it has more seamless patch changing? Also doesn't the GSP have in general slightly better effects. I know the amp models are more based on real amps on the GSP

djpharoah

Awwww Yeaaaah
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Doesn't the GSP use 2 of their DNA chips so it has more seamless patch changing? Also doesn't the GSP have in general slightly better effects. I know the amp models are more based on real amps on the GSP

Yes and yes. It also has delay carry over. So if you solo with delay and then switch to a crunch patch the delay effects carry over.

The amps are also amazingly modelled. The Dual DNA2 cpus just add so much power to the tone - its very very life like through my monitors.

')