Digitech Whammy songs?

• Thread starter Matt08642
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Jongpil Yun

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm getting a push button momentary killswitch. Chris Broderick has one on his awesome RG.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Rindgecore

Reaction score
There's a couple of solo's on Dying Fetus' "Killing on Adrenaline" that has some sick whammy work.

distressed_romeo

F'king ............
Forum MVP
Reaction score
'New Born' by Muse...the solo uses the whammy in a serious way.

'Seven Nation Army' by the White Stripes (used as an octave divider).

Anything by Jennifer Batten (she uses the 'tone down' setting a lot).

Bartok

Reaction score
'New Born' by Muse...the solo uses the whammy in a serious way.

Are you sure it's a whammy- I'm not familiar with the song but the Muse guy has chaos pad type thing built into his guitar which makes similar noises to a whammy, could be that?

Hawksmoor

Wannabe Shredder
Reaction score
Are you sure it's a whammy- I'm not familiar with the song but the Muse guy has chaos pad type thing built into his guitar which makes similar noises to a whammy, could be that?

Matt Bellamy uses literally tons of effects and the chaos pas is just one of them. He actually uses a touch strip on of his guitars to controll a Whammy

Matt mostly uses the Sweep Echo setting on the Line6 Delay Modeler. This setting is a combination of an echo/delay and a filter (similar to a phaser). It can be heard most noticably during the live intro of Bliss, and throughout numerous other songs when playing live.
The effect used on the solo of Sober is that of the Lovetone Meatball. It is primarily an envelope filter but allows you to manipulate many more parameters than conventional filters. Details and sound samples can be found on the Lovetone website.
The strange solo effect on the recording of Dark Shines is the Trumpet Effect featured on the Roland VG-8.
The solo effect of Newborn is obtained by using the Digitech Whammy set to 1-octave up.
The Muscle Museum intro is achieved by using the 1-octave up harmony setting of the Digitech Whammy.
The solo of Sunburn features the Digitech Whammy set to raise the pitch by 2-octaves as well as a slight delay.
Numerous songs on Showbiz, namely Fillip, Cave and Uno feature pitchshifting effects at the start, again obtained using the Digitech Whammy.
Despite what the official tab book might say, Sing for Absolution is played with a capo on the 2nd fret. The compressed wah sound in the solo is a Foxx Tone Machine, an old fuzz wah pedal from the sixties. The signal went from the guitar, to the pedal, then into a stereo delay going out to two different amps with different distortions on each delay, similar to the guitar setup used in the solo of Hysteria.
Thoughts of a Dying Atheist uses a capo on the 10th fret.

If anyone has a question regarding the effects that Matt uses or any queries as to a specific effect used in a song please feel free to e-mail me and I shall post them on this page - xoxdaniel@fobbedoff.netxox

From MUSE Gear: Matt Bellamy's Custom Manson Guitars, Effects and Amps

distressed_romeo

F'king ............
Forum MVP
Reaction score

I've seen it transcribed with a whammy pedal, although you're right, with the arsenal of stuff he uses it could be anything.

distressed_romeo

F'king ............
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Actually, now I think about it, there's one bit in 'Judith' that I'm sure must be played with a whammy pedal...I'm going to dig that out again now and have a listen!:)

AngelVivaldi

Contributor
Reaction score
Actually, now I think about it, there's one bit in 'Judith' that I'm sure must be played with a whammy pedal...I'm going to dig that out again now and have a listen!:)

Yes, he does use a whammy after the first chorus and before "Oh so many many ways for me to show you // How your dogma has abandoned you... "

God I love that fugging song.

7 Strings of Hate

Mid-Level Asshole
Contributor
Reaction score
man, i never knew that judith had a whammy in it, that the only song on the cd that uses it? , isnt that album tuned down 1 and a half steps?

muffgoat

The Djentle Giant
Reaction score
All i have to say was Dimebag was the king of the whammy pedal, That is how he reaches those signature fuckin high pitched Dime screams (i love doin those :p)

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Satch's "Cool #9" was the first place I ever hearda whammy, and the live version is still one of the best useages I've ever heard. Ditto with "Raspberry Jam Delta-V."

Thomas

Stranger
Reaction score
man, i never knew that judith had a whammy in it, that the only song on the cd that uses it? , isnt that album tuned down 1 and a half steps?

The whammy part is also played with a slide. I don't think there are any whammy parts in The Hollow. The solo on Rose at 1:07 could have been played with a whammy, but I'm not sure. And by the way, glad to see I'm not the only one here who's into APC! :yesway:

muffgoat

The Djentle Giant
Reaction score
He used the floyd rose whammy bar to get the high pitched squeals, not the whammy pedal: YouTube - Dimebag Squealing Lessons

DURP, i know that :p i guess i should've been more specific on my description... I meant taking his screams to another level, anyone with a whammy bar can do a regular scream but to take it to the level he usually did you needed the whammy pedal. He even mentioned what i was talking about "hit it up with the whammy" i love that shit tho, do that shit live and people watchin just kinda look at you like huh?

GiantBaba

omnicidal godmachine
Contributor
Reaction score
The live album "Damage" by David Sylvian and Robert Fripp has the best Whammy-playing I've ever heard, especially on "God's Monkey" and "Brightness Falls"

')