Dilemma: Loomis TOM or Xiphos 7?

• Thread starter Marginal
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Help a n00b please!

• Loomis TOM

Votes: 36 50.0%
  • Xiphos 7

Votes: 36 50.0%

• Total voters

Marginal

Liquid Is Djent
Reaction score
I've been wanting a seven for months now and those two seem the appropriate ones to purchase. What do you guys think?

P.S. I am pretty much a guitar n00b. Therefore I can express no actual opinion. Also I cannot try out any of them. There is no Ibanez or Schecter dealer near here. So, please be gentle :lol:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Groff

Medicine Chief/RHLC©
Contributor
Reaction score
Loomis gets my vote :yesway: I'll take 707's over Dactivators anyday.

Blood Tempest

Eschaton Mémoire
Contributor
Reaction score
Loomis. My Schecter Hellraiser was my first 7 and I love it to death. Can't go wrong with Schecters dude. Despite what some people think here, Schecters are pretty great guitars.

Groff

Medicine Chief/RHLC©
Contributor
Reaction score
The Xiphos is cooler looking, the Loomis is a better all around guitar.

Yeah, I owned a Dean ML, and a Jackson RR... I'm pretty much done with most odd shaped guitars due to the fact that they all neck dive, which make them difficult to play. I played a Xiphos, and couldn't get comfortable with it at all, because the neck wanted to point to the ground. I know there's a fix for this, but ain't no way i'm taking a drill to my guitar.

Lankles

Fuelled by Chicken alone.
Reaction score
Ooh. Toughie.

I vote Loomis courtesy of greater scale length, but I like both actives and passives. The loomis' routing for huge EMG's is its only real downside, but 707's are popular for a reason.

FortePenance

Reaction score
Xiphos 7. I'm an Ibanez whore and the thing is fuckin' metal.

The Loomis TOM is great though. I'd love to see a merger between the 2 guitars. Xiphos 7 with 26.5" scale and EMGs maybe. Wowzers.

elrrek

Contributor
Reaction score
I have not played a Xiphos but I own an Ibanez MMM1 and have owned (and sold on) other Ibanez guitars.

I do own a Schecter C7 Blackjack.

I would buy the Loomis over the Xiphos without hesitation.

plyta

Rusty spoon...
Reaction score
Ibanez, 'cause Shecters have fatso necks. Schecter necks need to go on a diet and go in for some active sports.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
schecter :yesway:

why?

26.5 scale - better tension on that low B = better articulation, kiddies!
meh to the EMG's.. put blackouts in if you want :)
it helps that they look nice
BODY WOOD. is the xiphos basswood? because basswood, IMO, isn't that great sounding of a wood. i am a mahogany+maple man myself.

the xiphos is good if you want to "look metal" i guess, but i'd get the loomis. missing a tone knob though :ugh:

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Ibanez, 'cause Shecters have fatso necks. Schecter necks need to go on a diet and go in for some active sports.

:lol: the neck is smaller then my les paul. my les paul doesnt have a big neck!

if you think that schecters have big necks, you just cant handle anything with solidness to it :flex:.

plyta

Rusty spoon...
Reaction score
:lol: the neck is smaller then my les paul. my les paul doesnt have a big neck!

if you think that schecters have big necks, you just cant handle anything with solidness to it :flex:.

:nono:
I handle 6 string classical guitar, which has wider neck than any 7 string electric. I hate thick necks, but if you like to add some "solidness" you might use a dock pole as a neck on your guitars as well:

goneworkin.jpg

:lol:

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm down! :lol:

if you can comfortably play a classical, then i must ask - how low is your 7 strung? lol.

NegaTiveXero

.... Your Face!
Contributor
Reaction score
schecter :yesway:

why?

26.5 scale - better tension on that low B = better articulation, kiddies!
meh to the EMG's.. put blackouts in if you want :)
it helps that they look nice
BODY WOOD. is the xiphos basswood? because basswood, IMO, isn't that great sounding of a wood. i am a mahogany+maple man myself.

the xiphos is good if you want to "look metal" i guess, but i'd get the loomis. missing a tone knob though :ugh:

The Xiphos 7 is mahogany. You're not stuck with active sized routes. It's neck-thru as well (I think the Loomis is). It's got vol and tone, and a better neck for starters. Not everyone can get their heads around a much thicker neck AND a longer scale at once.

Isn't the Loomis Ash? I don't even know how an Ash 7 sounds. I need to find one without actives.

')