Dimarzio Crunchlab/evolution

• Thread starter habba1
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

habba1

Reaction score
Ok. Found the information I needed between f spacing and standard spacing. I think I will be going with f spacing for both bridge and neck pickups as adviced by Fun111.

I will be trying the pickups asap and will update you guys about it.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Kride

Idjit
Reaction score

Generally yes though, you could easily use a regular spaced neck pickup on trem guitars and the strings align just fine. Actually, the strings align better with pole pieces with regular spacing when talking about neck pups even on guitars with trems. Hence, I always buy a regular for the neck and F-spaced for the bridge.

habba1

Reaction score
Ohh ok. But I saw on some forums that Dimarzio mentioned if your nut width is 43mm and above, you can use the f space for the neck pickups.

What do you think about this?

Kride

Idjit
Reaction score
Yes surely you can use either of those. You COULD even use regular spaced pickup in the bridge of a trem equipped guitar or F-spaced on a fixed bridge. Nothing lethally wrong in that.

Rook

Electrifying
Reaction score
I dunno where to start with this so I'll just list stuff:

Most locking nut equipped guitars, particularly from Ibanez, Jackson etc require an F Spaced neck and this is the norm, as there are far fewer that require a non f spaced neck - generally only strats and the like.

You definitely shouldn't use a standard (g) spaced in the bridge, as in is DiMarzio's f spaced pickups are slightly narrow, better too narrow that'll fit most than too wide.

Every single trem equipped guitar should have f spaced bridge pickup, most cloying bridge guitars require. Spaced neck and so do PRS and some Music Man guitars.

The standard neck pickups don't align better most of the time, they're too narrow, even the f spaced bridges, as I say, are generally too narrow, standard space are even narrower still.

For clarification, f spaced means fender, the standard used to say g for Gibson.

Kride

Idjit
Reaction score
Anyways, you can always measure the width between low and high e (or 1st and 6th string) from where the neck pup would be and then decide. Either way the difference in tone wont be drastic in my experience.

Oh, and here's fixed/TOM bridges with F-spaced pups:

IMG_1848.jpg

010.jpg

IMG_0126.jpg

So IME, measure first... even if you don't have trem.

Rook

Electrifying
Reaction score
I didn't know tbh, because Seymour Duncan don't do it.

The first set of DiMarzios I got, I bought directly from Steve at DiMarzio when I started working at the shop I do. I had a great long conversation with him about my choice and he said just before I hung up "F-Spaced right?" (this was for my Jackson with Floyd) and I said "yeah it has a Floyd".

Could of days later I open the packet and there's two F-Spaced. I though 'bah, silly bloke sent me two F-Spaced', rang him up and he explained it.

I've been evangelising ever since :lol:

habba1

Reaction score
Hey guys.

I was told by one of my local shop assistants (I was there trying the ibanez) and he told me not to get dimarzio pickups.

These are the few reasons why he was against it:

1) Too expensive
2) Too powerful (you will not hear the original sound of the mahogany wood + distortions and other effects are mainly affected by the pedal and amp instead of pickups)
3) Use the cash saved for a new pair of pickups for buying a multie effects pedal board.

Thus, he recomended that I sticked with the infinite ones first for a couple of years. However, if I am deadset on changing pickups, he recomended seymour duncans passive pickups.

I am looking for thiese sounds:

-heavy riffing
-clear sound not too muddy, even during riffs
-bright lead sounds
-melodic
-crisp lead (like a "piercing" feeling) sorry I don't really know how to describe it

Bands that I model after: Metallica, A7X, BFMV, LOG, sum41, Muse

The kind of lead sound I want to achieve is something like: Vai, Satch, Gilbert kind.

What combination of duncans would fit this?

Please advise.

edsped

Reaction score
He sounds full of shit because Dimarzios are no more expensive than Duncans, and Vai, Satch and Gilbert all use Dimarzios.

Miek

POSTING ON INTERNET
Reaction score
Hey guys.

I was told by one of my local shop assistants (I was there trying the ibanez) and he told me not to get dimarzio pickups.

These are the few reasons why he was against it:

1) Too expensive
2) Too powerful (you will not hear the original sound of the mahogany wood + distortions and other effects are mainly affected by the pedal and amp instead of pickups)
3) Use the cash saved for a new pair of pickups for buying a multie effects pedal board.

Thus, he recomended that I sticked with the infinite ones first for a couple of years. However, if I am deadset on changing pickups, he recomended seymour duncans passive pickups.

I am looking for thiese sounds:

-heavy riffing
-clear sound not too muddy, even during riffs
-bright lead sounds
-melodic
-crisp lead (like a "piercing" feeling) sorry I don't really know how to describe it

Bands that I model after: Metallica, A7X, BFMV, LOG, sum41, Muse

The kind of lead sound I want to achieve is something like: Vai, Satch, Gilbert kind.

What combination of duncans would fit this?

Please advise.

Yeah he's pretty full of shit. I mean, did you even mention anything about a pedalboard? :rofl:

Rook

Electrifying
Reaction score
That's a load of crap dude.

1) There's more than one DiMarzio pickup, the 36th Ann PAF and Air Classic are very low powered (amazing!) pickups
2) Unless you go for chrome covers, the mid range pickups are actually cheaper than duncans (well, here they are)
3) Multi FX are rubbish unless you're going for a big deal processor like a POD HD or Axe FX which pickup money won't buy you! You should probably save for a new amp, but the $100-150 bucks you're gunna spend on pickups isn't gunna have much effect when looking at $600+ for a higher end amp

habba1

Reaction score
I see. I havent checked out the prices in my local stores for SD yet but apparantly, it costs about USD$62-80 here for a piece of SD humbucker.

I think maybe what that guy wanted to advise me was that, I should not get the DMZ pickups from my local shop dealer but from a luthier(the guy who is incharge of setting up and modifying guitars, not sure if I spelt it right) as it will be cheaper. The price quoted from the shop with installation costs about USD$308.

Personally, I don't know how to install a pickup yet, so I was thinking of passing it to either a shop or luthier for it.

On top of this, I read many forums that DMZ will produce a more 'cutting' tone as compared to duncans who will give you a warmer tone? Is this a generalised statement?

By the way the combo for DMZ I am looking at will be:

D-sonic/(evolution or Paf pro)

Duncans combo:
(TB-6 or Invaders)/SH-1

I have yet to try the D-sonic and Paf pro again as my local shop dealers do not have guitars with those pickups on.

So Multi effects pedal boards are quite useless for my genre of music?

Please advise.

Latest posts

')