Dimarzio D Activator 8's vs Ionizer 8's

• Thread starter Zachchapel
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Zachchapel

Zachapel
Reaction score
Anyone compared the 2 of these yet? I have a D Activator 8 installed in the bridge that's wired Series, Split, Parallel and the Split selection with an 8 is killer sounding. Was curious about the Ionizer before I changed it out just to try it.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

5150time

Now with Vitamin R
Reaction score
I swapped out the D-Activators in my DKA8 and am not disappointed with the results. I found the Ionizers to have better definition and dynamics than D-Activators, although the neck was a little thin to my ears. The split mode is great though, and they also have a terrific clean with the volume rolled off.

Zachchapel

Zachapel
Reaction score
I swapped out the D-Activators in my DKA8 and am not disappointed with the results. I found the Ionizers to have better definition and dynamics than D-Activators, although the neck was a little thin to my ears. The split mode is great though, and they also have a terrific clean with the volume rolled off.

Thanks…that's what I read in some of the reviews. I honestly wouldn't even be using the neck because it's an ESP carpenter 8 and the neck pick-up is in the dumbest position ever on those guitars. I'd just be using the bridge wired the same as the D Activator I have in it now.

5150time

Now with Vitamin R
Reaction score
I sold my Stef 8 years ago exactly because of the neck pickup position. It comes down to either hitting the thing with your pick -every- time or leaving a big hole in your guitar.

Regarding the Ionizers, if you have the ability, try both the neck and bridge models in the bridge position, and try flipping them over and installing them 180 degrees from normal. I've found that extended string pickups in particular can sound pretty different depending on which way you install them, and whichever one you end up trying, it'll give you at least two different sounds to choose between.

')