DiMarzio D-Activator Noise Quesiton

symorian

Reaction score
Hi,

I have an Ibanez XPT700 with stock pickups of DiMarzio D-Activator.

While recording at home, I observed that the pickups pick too much noise like fizz, hum, hiss and so... probably related to grounding issues.

That's why I heavily use noise reduction (NOT NOISE GATE!) with a setting of -17dB threshold which barely reduces high end & distortion amount and quality, thus, rendering the performance a bit dull & lifeless.

My question is, how can I solve this problem on the hardware and circuit side? Is it something related to my guitar's wiring problem or pickup distance or something about the electricity circuit/grounding problem in my flat? Are there any fixes to try?

Thanks a lot!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

lewis

Reaction score
Hi,

I have an Ibanez XPT700 with stock pickups of DiMarzio D-Activator.

While recording at home, I observed that the pickups pick too much noise like fizz, hum, hiss and so... probably related to grounding issues.

That's why I heavily use noise reduction (NOT NOISE GATE!) with a setting of -17dB threshold which barely reduces high end & distortion amount and quality, thus, rendering the performance a bit dull & lifeless.

My question is, how can I solve this problem on the hardware and circuit side? Is it something related to my guitar's wiring problem or pickup distance or something about the electricity circuit/grounding problem in my flat? Are there any fixes to try?

Thanks a lot!
what gear do you use? do you run noisy pedals in a chain? and what do you have your gain at?

symorian

Reaction score
what gear do you use? do you run noisy pedals in a chain? and what do you have your gain at?

Hi lewis,

I'm using POD HD300 as effects board and no other analog pedals.
Also Fostex MKII reference monitors together with a PC.

My Gain is set around 25% (I know this is too low but I do quad-tracking + use IRs)

Thanks a lot!!

')