DiMarzio Fortitude (Joe Duplantier signature pickup)

asandwich

suh dude
Reaction score
I would most likely put it in something tuned to E or D and I play almost entirely rhythm of the old school thrash/doom/death variety, so looking for something like what you described above, until you made mention of only sounding best in low tunings. Armed with that knowledge, what do you think?

I think it's an amazing pickup for OSDM and thrash rhythms. The lower you tune your guitar, the more modern the pickup is going to sound. Backing the pickup away from the strings will also help that, but I personally preferred it pretty close to the strings for more output/easier harmonics.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Zhysick

Reaction score
If anyone's interested I have a bunch of fortitude clips over in my 6 string shootout.

I have listened to your vid on youtube and the more I listen to comparisons or videos or something the more I want this pickup or the plain 36th anniversary...
This sounds fucking huge.

Shit.

KnightBrolaire

Meth Detal
Reaction score
I have listened to your vid on youtube and the more I listen to comparisons or videos or something the more I want this pickup or the plain 36th anniversary...
This sounds fucking huge.

Shit.
It's a really awesome pickup. That slight cut in the low mids just lets the CHUUUUUNK breathe. Couple that with the pickup's great versatility and clarity, and I think it's going to be a VERRRRY popular pickup choice in the metal community over the next few years.

MASS DEFECT

SS.ORG Infiltrator
Reaction score
I'm eager to replace my Gibson Burstbucker 3 with this one but I have no idea how DiMarzio's aged raw nickel covers look for real. Might not match up the rest of my hardware.

RobPhoboS

Reaction score
Think this would go well in a mahogany LP Baritone (A-B tuning) ?
(seeing as his one is a mahogany)

Akartacs

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Is it possible to install the Fortitude pickup in a guitar without pickup rings (a newer RG 421)?

I've only seen it with pickup rings or scratchpate.

couverdure

No Gear Day
Reaction score
Is it possible to install the Fortitude pickup in a guitar without pickup rings (a newer RG 421)?

I've only seen it with pickup rings or scratchpate.
There was a Reverb listing of an Ormsby DC6 with a covered Fortitude installed and mounted directly. I think you might have to modify the tabs or baseplate since DiMarzio's baseplate design is different from most humbuckers.

BabUShka

Reaction score
He used a '59 in his Jacksons at some point.

I had a 59 (blues) set installed in my Les Paul. That thing could do insane metal stuff.

It opened my eyes and I learned that a tight brutal sound does not only come from the high output, but generally from the pickup characteristics and tight amps. Same experience with BKP Riff Raff.

I would love to hear how the Fortitude compares to the Lundgrens or simular pickups.

Last edited:
')