Dimarzio Gravity Storm

• Thread starter Lorcan Ward
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

pushpull7

Banned
Reaction score
EDIT:

They are here, but it never occurred to me to check the pup holes first. Anyways, they are too big so I'll have to decide what I want to do. So sorry, no GS reviews......

BeyondAntares

Reaction score
quick question after reading through the specs on the dimarzio site. Vai wanted more harmonics with the neck pup but still retain a level of warmth? Isn't this the definition of a Dimarzio Fred? Is this the 24 fret version of the Fred?

I understand the Fred Neck : Alnico IV, Gravity Storm neck: Ceramic.

has anyone compared these two?

Also for a neck, I understand the gravity storm is a lower output pup compared to the dominion, but otherwise how do they compare?

Does it clean up well? Is it quiter than the dominion?

pushpull7

Banned
Reaction score
I don't know a thing about the dominion, but I got the GS's in my 721. They are what the advertise as best as I can tell. They might lack a bit of high end though with the "warmer" sound. Very articulate, this guitar of mine is a pretty bright guitar. Warmer? Certainly.

Now, I have a "fred" in the neck position of my 1420. I can only describe this pup as "balanced" considering. I get good pick definition, and it lacks a bit low end (which I wanted) so it's "balanced". I really like it, but I realize most people would put it in the bridge. Certainly nothing wrong with that, but It's not rated as high in output.

Hope that helps........

clintsal

Humbub
Reaction score
On a related note, I recently put a GS neck pup in the bridge position of my s5470, and absolutely love it there. The lower output yields great clarity, the highs are present and articulate but not piercing, it has a 'full' sound, not lacking in lows for cleans or chugs, and the pick attack / response is much tighter than the GS bridge, and slightly sharper than the Dominion bridge.

It happily does cleans w plenty of dynamics and still has enough punch in the mids to do tech/prog/djent. I highly recommend trying this if you find the higher-output bridge models to be too much, and will be trying out other neck models (liquifire, transition, breed) as soon as I get guitars to try them in.

BeyondAntares

Reaction score
thanks man

was thinking of going with dominons but thought I should check out the GS for the S5ex1

Latest posts

')