Dimarzio has 2 new 7 pups for '06!

• Thread starter ecalcagnino
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

giannifive

Occasional Poster
Contributor
Reaction score
The Dark Wolf said:
I have an Alnico Air Norton 7. :yum:
You clever SOB! Did you pull the magnet from a Seymour Duncan? How does it sound? Less "boring" than the AN7? I don't know exactly how to describe it, but the AN7 to me sounds just a little hollow/brittle. I've never used a 6-string AN, so I don't have a point of reference, though.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

metalfiend666

-
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I'd like to try an X2N7. I'd also like to see them offer all their pickups in all the colour options. Even if they are special order only.

VforVendetta00

Reaction score
OMFGBBQ!! A 7 STRING X2N!? MOTHERFUCKIN W00T!! I'VE BEEN WAITING FOR THIS FOR A LONG TIME!

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
VforVendetta00 said:
OMFGBBQ!! A 7 STRING X2N!? MOTHERFUCKIN W00T!! I'VE BEEN WAITING FOR THIS FOR A LONG TIME!

Breathe mate, lol.

Yeah, Elysian's the other guy who I figured is gonna flip when hey see this... I know how you feel, though I'd be much the same if Dimarzio brought out a couple Virtual Vintage singlecoils. :lol:

noodles

Contributor
Reaction score
I was wondering what the hype was behind the X2N, until I picked up a Gibson The Paul (all walnut, flattop LP) last weekend that two of them in it. Best neck pickup tone I have ever heard, period. I didn't like it in the bridge, but the neck was every bit as good as a Duncan Jazz, but with this nice attack. If the X2N-7 neck p/u sounds as good, I'm getting one.

The Dark Wolf

Contributor
Reaction score
giannifive said:
You clever SOB! Did you pull the magnet from a Seymour Duncan? How does it sound? Less "boring" than the AN7? I don't know exactly how to describe it, but the AN7 to me sounds just a little hollow/brittle. I've never used a 6-string AN, so I don't have a point of reference, though.
Yup. 2 points for John!

That's a perfect description for how it sounds now, John. Less boring. I like that! The AN7 has about the perfect neck pickup sound to me, but when I had an A5 magnet, I noticed the ceramic AN7 sounded just a tad compressed, sterile, and flat in comparison (could be a bit of that 'brittle' you mentioned).

Put in the A5, and the output drops just a tad (imperceptible, almost), notes become rounder, the midrange warms up a bit, the compressed feel disappears, and it gets a singing, chiming quality. It basically sounds just like the regular AN7, but with a bit of magic dust sprinkled on it, to my ears. Steve Blucher told me they preferred the ceramic to the Alnico magnets, but I told him they were missing out with the AN7 by not using the A5 magnet. My opinion, his opinion. He was glad to hear my thoughts on it.

giannifive

Occasional Poster
Contributor
Reaction score
The Dark Wolf said:
Yup. 2 points for John!

That's a perfect description for how it sounds now, John. Less boring. I like that! The AN7 has about the perfect neck pickup sound to me, but when I had an A5 magnet, I noticed the ceramic AN7 sounded just a tad compressed, sterile, and flat in comparison (could be a bit of that 'brittle' you mentioned).

Put in the A5, and the output drops just a tad (imperceptible, almost), notes become rounder, the midrange warms up a bit, the compressed feel disappears, and it gets a singing, chiming quality. It basically sounds just like the regular AN7, but with a bit of magic dust sprinkled on it, to my ears. Steve Blucher told me they preferred the ceramic to the Alnico magnets, but I told him they were missing out with the AN7 by not using the A5 magnet. My opinion, his opinion. He was glad to hear my thoughts on it.
Cool, if I ever get my hands on a cheap 7-string Seymour Duncan I'll try this. It's good to hear that other people have as sensitive ears as I, and I'm not going crazy...

goth_fiend

Reaction score
x2n-7, thank you I just found my bridge pickup, any idea when they become available? (obviously after namm)

nyck

blah!
Reaction score
I really hope they make more color options available. I would like a blue X2N7 to go along with my soontobehad Trans Violet Agile Interceptor.

Karl Hungus

You're no daisy.
Contributor
Reaction score
Hell yes!

Though I'm suprised they've not called it an X7N.

Actually, I'm a little annoyed they'd bring out a 7 String version of the X2N now that I have my custom made guitar, as I really would've liked to get said pickup for it, but went with the Evolution 7. I won't complain though, the Evo is a freakin' sweet pickup, but the timing of this is a kick in the nads.

Nik

Arrogant asshole
Reaction score
Does anyone know the exact output for the X2N 7 ? How does it compare with the Blaze Custom, which I think was around 410? Is it made to be a bridge or a neck pick-up?

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Well, it's too early for firm specs, but as i recall an X2N 6 is 500+...

nyck

blah!
Reaction score
Nik said:
Cool, thanks.

Isn't that close to the output you get from active pick-ups?
Not sure, I've never played an active pup. I've heard that the X2N is just as powerful , if not more.

Elysian

Banned
Reaction score
holy sh*t i've been saying they need to make an x7n(x2n-7 doesn't sound right) for about 2 years now, i even emailed dimarzio about it a few months ago, they told me they weren't considering it at the time :lol: this makes my day!

')