Dimarzio has 2 new 7 pups for '06!

• Thread starter ecalcagnino
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Drache713

Contributor
Reaction score
hmmm...now even more choices to debate for what will go in the bridge of my interceptor eventually...evo, d sonic, x2n, or blaze custom....hmmm...

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
Damn, I wanted a seven string version of the evo-2 :(

Mark. A

gang* 4 lyfe
Contributor
Reaction score
The X2N7 would be sweet as. Neck wise, would any of these work well or am I better off getting another Blaze?

metalfiend666

-
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Mark. A said:
The X2N7 would be sweet as. Neck wise, would any of these work well or am I better off getting another Blaze?
It depends a bit on personal taste, and what bridge pickup you run. I've seen 6 strings with a pair of X2N's, but I have no experience of how this works sound wise. The Drop Sonic and X2N are designed as bridge pickups, so have a high output, but they could work as a neck pickup with a hot bridge pickup. Also, until specs are on the site no-one will really be able to say for sure.

I have an RG7321 with an Evo7 in the bridge and a Blaze Custom in the neck. Sure, the Blaze Custom is a very high output pickup, but soundwise it's like a hot Air Norton 7 with one more notch of mid. It pairs up very well as a neck pickup with the Evo7.

Mark. A

gang* 4 lyfe
Contributor
Reaction score
Oh ok, I plan on getting another Blaze for the neck possy, what do you think of this.

I bought a Blaze for my bridge off ebay and waiting for it to arrive.

metalfiend666

-
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Mark. A said:
Oh ok, I plan on getting another Blaze for the neck possy, what do you think of this.

Well, that's what they have in UV's. I'm not a fan of the standard Blaze myself, but it's all down to personal taste. A Blaze bridge & neck are a good matched pickup combination, as several thousand UV owners will attest. At the end of the day it's about what sounds good to you, and gets the tone you want.

Kagami

Forum MVP
Reaction score
X2N would probably work just like an 81 in the neck, since you're using so much gain with it anyway it's not like the "neckness" is lost.

noodles

Contributor
Reaction score
metalfiend666 said:
I've seen 6 strings with a pair of X2N's, but I have no experience of how this works sound wise.

See my post on page 3 of this thread.

jim777

Seen all good people
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Mark. A said:

The Blaze makes a good bridge pickup, but an excellent neck pickup. I recently had a UV777 for about 3 weeks (what can I say? :lol: ) and I rarely played the bridge pickup the whole time. The neck position Blaze is a great choice.

Elysian

Banned
Reaction score
jim777 said:
The Blaze makes a good bridge pickup, but an excellent neck pickup. I recently had a UV777 for about 3 weeks (what can I say? :lol: ) and I rarely played the bridge pickup the whole time. The neck position Blaze is a great choice.
i hate the blazes in my UV777BK... i can't wait for the x2n7 to be released, i'll probly be the first one on here to have one in my guitar hahaha... and i don't ever use the neck pickup, so my uv won't have one come next week when i get my new diamond plate pick guard...

Elysian

Banned
Reaction score
metalfiend666 said:
I think it may be time to experiment with my homeless X2N and my Warlock...:evil:
i did an expiriment with my rhoads v recently, put the x2n in the neck spot, its really hot, yet still really clear, and it sounded killer for clean tone... posted a recording on here somewhere, its a real slop fest, but you get the idea heh

noodles

Contributor
Reaction score
Elysian said:
i did an expiriment with my rhoads v recently, put the x2n in the neck spot, its really hot, yet still really clear, and it sounded killer for clean tone...

It's hot, but articulate. What (IMHO) gives you all that treble bite that is just overpowering in the bridge, translates to a mud eliminator in the neck. All the clarity of the Duncan Jazz I usually use, but with a lot more heat to really slam thorugh.

Elysian

Banned
Reaction score
noodles said:
It's hot, but articulate. What (IMHO) gives you all that treble bite that is just overpowering in the bridge, translates to a mud eliminator in the neck. All the clarity of the Duncan Jazz I usually use, but with a lot more heat to really slam thorugh.
it was a huge difference from the PAF reissue i have in the neck spot on that guitar... i don't really like that PAF reissue much... duncan seth lover...

jim777

Seen all good people
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Elysian said:
i hate the blazes in my UV777BK... i can't wait for the x2n7 to be released, i'll probly be the first one on here to have one in my guitar hahaha... and i don't ever use the neck pickup, so my uv won't have one come next week when i get my new diamond plate pick guard...

Apples and oranges then. My praise of the Blaze is specifically because of the fabulous jazzy cleans it produces in the neck position. You say yourself you never use the neck pickup. It just depends on what you'd use it for. I have heard a number of folks say the X2N made a great neck pickup though, and lots of folks used to used them for that 20 years ago. Maybe 2 X2N7's would be your best bet in the UV. The big silver bar magnets would certainly be right at home ;)

Elysian

Banned
Reaction score
jim777 said:
Apples and oranges then. My praise of the Blaze is specifically because of the fabulous jazzy cleans it produces in the neck position. You say yourself you never use the neck pickup. It just depends on what you'd use it for. I have heard a number of folks say the X2N made a great neck pickup though, and lots of folks used to used them for that 20 years ago. Maybe 2 X2N7's would be your best bet in the UV. The big silver bar magnets would certainly be right at home ;)
nah my diamond plate pick guard on the way is only cut out for 1 pickup, and i think i will really like the clean look of 1 pickup with just a single volume knob

Sandro67

Reaction score
Awesome! I pretty much worship Chuck Schuldiner, so it's great to hear about a new X2N pickup.

goth_fiend

Reaction score
if they're available at namm I have a guy ordering me one

')