Dimarzio Illuminators with ash body/maple fretboard?

Prude

Reaction score
Hey, Im planning to change pickups in my Ibanez RG652AHM with ash body and maple fretboard. Have anyone tried the dimarzio illuminators with those woodtypes? Whats your opinion?
Pickups in stock are tone zone/air norton, but ive grown a bit tired of them and want a bit more balanced and open sounding pickups but not getting too bright.

Last edited:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ToneLab

Bedroom Playa
Reaction score
I always ask the tech at Dimarzio about swaps. They get back to you usually within a day. tech@dimarzio.com They are great. I have always been happy with their suggestions. I have been close to getting that guitar a few times and have asked about the pups. Note: I play 80s metal/rock/shred and some more current. So these recommendations are based on that. They have always recommended the Titans for that guitar. Bridge and neck. I recently asked about a new ash body maple neck guitar I got, RG6PCMLTD - and they recommended Illuminator bridge and Gravity Storm neck. So my guess is they would sound good - but you should ask them.

KnightBrolaire

Say yes to Chugs
Reaction score
does the guitar currently seem bright with the air norton/tone zone? illuminators are relatively bright, so I don't think they'd be the best option for an already bright guitar.

elkoki

Reaction score
I had an Illuminator set a while back that I loved. I traded them and regretted it. The neck sounded somewhat similar to the Liquifire, but I think it has a ceramic magnet instead of alnico 5. The bridge sounded great, sounded great for pretty much any rock style... They were made with versatility in mind.. it will be a huge change from the Tone Zone which is way more bass heavy and thick sounding

Prude

Reaction score
does the guitar currently seem bright with the air norton/tone zone? illuminators are relatively bright, so I don't think they'd be the best option for an already bright guitar.

The guitar is a bit brighter than a basswood-type guitar. Is there any other pickup that you would like to recommend?

Lorcan Ward

7slinger
Reaction score
Illuminators are a lot brighter than a TZ/AN combo. What do you not like EQ wise about the TZ/AN?

Prude

Reaction score
Illuminators are a lot brighter than a TZ/AN combo. What do you not like EQ wise about the TZ/AN?

I think the TZ are bit sloppy and little "too much" in the lows, and the mid is sort of bold and "not open" if you know what I mean. Air Norton is ok but not so "liquid" in the high end...the goes for both pickups.

KnightBrolaire

Say yes to Chugs
Reaction score
The guitar is a bit brighter than a basswood-type guitar. Is there any other pickup that you would like to recommend?
hmm, holy divers do well in brighter guitars if you're looking for a relatively versatile pickup. cold sweat neck is nice and liquidy and warm, it's perfect for lead work imo.
for nonbkp options I'm pretty partial to the duncan black winter set, although they'd prob be harsh on the high end if the guitar is already bright. Otherwise the pegasus is a good versatile option from duncan, though I'd get an alnico II pro neck or a liquifire instead of the sentient if you want liquidy leads.
as far as random boutique options go, the elysian hellfires are pretty high output but have great clarity and cleans for how much output they have. They're a bit thicker and warmer than most of adam's other offerings but I was able to coax a huge range of tones from them.

Prude

Reaction score
Ok, ill check them out :)

Ive listened to holy divers on the BKP website, and they sound narrow in the mid, but maybe it’s different in an ash-body.