DiMarzio Illuminators?

edonmelon

Not a melon
Reaction score
So I was taking a look at the JPXIII page in the EBMM website:

JP13

And I noticed that the custom DiMarzio's that this model includes actually had a name. DiMarzio Illuminator, neck and bridge.

I haven't read anything about them on this forum (or anywhere else) so I thought I'd share.

Has anybody got info on them?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Rook

Electrifying
Reaction score
Tr00ch described them as a modified Crunch Lab and Liquifire set to work with the active boost he has built in.

So I think they're supposed to be lower output and cleaner and the boost adds the meat when he wants it.

EDIT: I was aware of the version without a bar coil, but it's now showing a picture of one with a bar (like the CL). What's going oooooooooon.

edonmelon

Not a melon
Reaction score
Tr00ch described them as a modified Crunch Lab and Liquifire set to work with the active boost he has built in.

So I think they're supposed to be lower output and cleaner and the boost adds the meat when he wants it.

I am most intrigued. Source, please?

EDIT: I was aware of the version without a bar coil, but it's now showing a picture of one with a bar (like the CL). What's going oooooooooon.

AFAIK the JPXIII was originally advertised as having the CL/LF combo in it; that's just the Crunch Lab. I guess that the Illuminators are your classic slug/screw coil config, so I'd love to see a covered version of both pickups if they ever go into production!

Rook

Electrifying
Reaction score
It was a video from NAMM, I'll dig around later if I have time.

Given To Fly

Reaction score
I was about to start a thread asking the same question. Good thing we avoided disaster! Dimarzio does not have the Illuminator's on their website and its been a month since the last post in this thread so I thought maybe somebody might know something now...besides John Petrucci.

MetalBuddah

0000 00 0 0 00 000
Reaction score
All I see is that there is one pic of the JP13 with what looks like the CL in the bridge and then the other 3 have the "Illuminators"

I really want to know what the fvck is going on :lol:

SKoG

Reaction score
I'd been looking for info about the Illuminators and yesterday the name caught my eye in the new Guitar World (Sept issue). The buyers guide is mostly 7/8 string guitars, strings and pickups and the Illuminators are mentioned along with Ionizers in the pickup section.

"The new Illuminator 7 was created in conjunction with Dream Theater guitarist John Petrucci and delivers the clarity and presence that a seven string pickup needs. Illuminator 7, $139 dimarzio.com"

Not much, but maybe with this we'll hear more soon from Dimarzio.

Given To Fly

Reaction score
I'd been looking for info about the Illuminators and yesterday the name caught my eye in the new Guitar World (Sept issue). The buyers guide is mostly 7/8 string guitars, strings and pickups and the Illuminators are mentioned along with Ionizers in the pickup section.

"The new Illuminator 7 was created in conjunction with Dream Theater guitarist John Petrucci and delivers the clarity and presence that a seven string pickup needs. Illuminator 7, $139 dimarzio.com"

Not much, but maybe with this we'll hear more soon from Dimarzio.

Thanks for passing on the information! :yesway:

To me that description says "We have a cool name for pickup but haven't even begun to design it yet." But at least know we will finally have a 7 string pickup with "clarity and presence" rather than all the muddy, absent pickups Dimarzio has been designing.

TheOrangeChannel

JonOrBattleship
Reaction score
Thanks for passing on the information! :yesway:

To me that description says "We have a cool name for pickup but haven't even begun to design it yet." But at least know we will finally have a 7 string pickup with "clarity and presence" rather than all the muddy, absent pickups Dimarzio has been designing.

Waiting for info on these. Until then it's all Duncan Pegasus/ Sentient ha!

edonmelon

Not a melon
Reaction score
They sound gnarly! Really looking forward to trying these out. I wonder how they would work in a guitar without an active preamp thing though.
Also Trooch kinda needs to put some work on his improv skillz IMO, dat intro solo... Although I wouldn't do better, of course D:
Thanks for the info, HeHasTheJazzHands!

SKoG

Reaction score
I know we'll get more tone demos as more JP13s and the Illuminators get out there, but that was kinda disappointing. I love John and DT and I know it's just a Youtube promo clip, but that type of playing and sound just doesn't show off a pickup too well. Also worries me a little about the new album, but I'll digress and just wait for it.

RagtimeDandy

On a Musical Journey
Reaction score
Sounds like an Aftermath set in a basswood guitar - completely sterile.

Alberto7

Living room guitarist. Ex-bedroom guitarist.
Contributor
Reaction score
I just saw this on JP's Facebook. Even though I don't dislike them, I really am not impressed in the least. Quite generic. Then again, as has been mentioned, that kind of sound with those effects aren't ideal conditions to demo a pickup anyway.

Necris

Bonitis.
Reaction score
I'd much rather judge the sound from a clean di track, and maybe some distorted chords near the end to judge the note definition of the pickup.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
Sounds like an Aftermath set in a basswood guitar - completely sterile.

While the pickups do not impress, I'm totally sold on that finish! It looks extremely boring in photos, not the liquid metal it seems to be in the video.

Stealthtastic

Doesn't play guitar
Reaction score
Was relatively unimpressed by the video, although the neck sounds like it could be really awesome. The bridge on the other hand sounded relatively lame IMHO.

JP7

Laughs and Shreds
Reaction score
Was relatively unimpressed by the video, although the neck sounds like it could be really awesome. The bridge on the other hand sounded relatively lame IMHO.

I though exactly the same thing when I watched and listened to this video

Xiphos68

Reaction score

A really neat video of John Petrucci talking and playing his new "Dimarzio Illuminator" pickups. I have had the chance to play the new JP13 Six String with these new pickups and it is quite possibly the best sounding JP I have heard.

Check the video out! Though I am not sure if I like John's new tone with the guitar as much as the JP BFR tone.

Compared to this...

Latest posts

')