DiMarzio Illuminators?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MrPepperoniNipples

Reaction score
Am I the only one that thought his playing in the first video was garbage?
At least during those scale runs

Bloody_Inferno

Silence is Violence
Reaction score
Way too much delay/reverb on that demo vid. And I'm assuming the pre-amp is engaged so that doesn't help either.

Agreed that I'd love to hear these clean dry or just distortion (no pre-amp) to get a better judge of the sound. Then again, pickups are best judge when you try them yourself.

Maybe I just want a 7 string equivalent to the Breed. The Crunchlab/Liquifire are close (as per Steve Blutcher) so I'm curious how these go in 7 string form.

November5th

Old Shredder
Reaction score
There's nothing like drenching your tone with a wah pedal, in order to give everyone an idea on how your new pickups sound. Not one of Petrucci's finer moments. :confused:

Pav

???
Reaction score
They were actually added to the DiMarzio page last night/this morning though, so it looks like we'll be getting more info soon.

5150time

Now with Vitamin R
Reaction score
They sound like money leaving my account...although I'm in agreement with some of the folks here that the demo doesn't wow me, but the neck could be great. Either way, I'll pick a set up to see what the next genesis of JP is.

And, they also have an option for rosewood covers. That's new!

SKoG

Reaction score
And, they also have an option for rosewood covers. That's new!

The Illuminator 7 page shows metal covers as well. I wonder if it's a cross-post mix-up with the 6's page or if metal and rosewood models are really coming for 7s.

Legion

Slightly cynical, mostly okay, completely drunk.
Reaction score
The neck Illuminator and the Liquifire (7 string versions) have nearly IDENTICAL specs, with a slightly lower DCR for the Illuminator...couldn't help but noticing

Jzbass25

Reaction score
The neck Illuminator and the Liquifire (7 string versions) have nearly IDENTICAL specs, with a slightly lower DCR for the Illuminator...couldn't help but noticing

Looking at the DCR it makes sense that petrucci would say it has a bit more clarity and presence, the 7 version I guess is a rewound liquifire. Also the 6 string version might be a bigger difference since one is ceramic and the other is alnico.

Jzbass25

Reaction score
Any info on the preamp? Is it custom for the EBMM's or will someone be able to find it to use with the illuminators?

Captain Butterscotch

Reaction score
I'm excited for these. The Liquifire is my all time favorite neck pickup, and if this is based off of that then I absolutely have to try it out.

Bloody_Inferno

Silence is Violence
Reaction score
Hey guys, I've just posted my interview with JP where we talk about the Illuminators and a bunch of stuff about the new album. Mods, please let me know if it's not okay to post this kind of stuff here: John Petrucci Demonstrates New DiMarzio Illuminators | I Heart Guitar

:yesway:

Didn't even realise that these were already up on the Dimarzio web page. Cheers Pete!

6 Strings:

Neck: Illuminator
Bridge: Illuminator

7 Strings:

Neck: Illuminator 7
Bridge: Illuminator 7

Looks like I may replace that Crunchlab...

Mordacain

Formerly 1-watt brigadier
Reaction score
Looking at the specs on these, I see the Bridge has a lot more of a balanced sound that Petrucci has usually gone for.

He usually has favored a bit of a mild mid-scoop in his bridge pickup to take some of the honk out of the Mark series amps. The Illuminator bridge appears to have a much more uniform EQ...I wonder if this is because he started using the Royal Atlantic during the recording of the new album, which has a more British style midrange character.

Latest posts

')