DiMarzio Imperium Dave Davidson signature pickups

• Thread starter HeHasTheJazzHands
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Mike

Reaction score
That is a lot of mids. Reminds me of my first amp, a crate flexwave 15 when you would turn the mid knob all the way up. The leads sound good, but it makes rhythms sound kind of mushy and soft to me.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

KnightBrolaire

SSO's unofficial pickup tester
Reaction score
might just be a suboptimal recording imo, but the rhythm riffs sound mucky. The lead riffs sound very nice though. Revocation is pretty dope, was just listening to their most recent album today lol

EDIT: the 6 string version actually sounds pretty good, don't know why the 7 sounded so mucky. Getting a huge Alpha/Omega vibe from these

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
DiMarzio always know how to make ass-sounding metal demos. :lol:

The Whitechapel videos were just baaaad.

KnightBrolaire

Reaction score
DiMarzio always know how to make ass-sounding metal demos. :lol:

The Whitechapel videos were just baaaad.

The only good ones I've heard were Jake Bowen demoing his stuff and Art Rodriguez demoing the Titans. Both of those sounded pretty good, probably because they're not micing up cabs :lol:

Mike

Reaction score
The only good ones I've heard were Jake Bowen demoing his stuff and Art Rodriguez demoing the Titans. Both of those sounded pretty good, probably because they're not micing up cabs :lol:

And Javier Reyes' Eclipse 8 demo and John Peturcci's Illuminator demo sound good.

I don't think DiMarzio always makes ass sounding metal demos.

KnightBrolaire

Reaction score
And Javier Reyes' Eclipse 8 demo and John Peturcci's Illuminator demo sound good.

I don't think DiMarzio always makes ass sounding metal demos.

yeah I just went back and listened to those, I dig the Petrucci demo. The Satch demo is pretty good as well. Tosin's demo is good too, but he's also using the axe fx so they don't have to mic anything lol Javier's tone really doesn't sound as good in the demo as it does live though :/.

Bloody_Inferno

Silence is Violence
Reaction score
The 7 string Imperium bridge maybe the pickup I've been looking for. (well that isn't an Evo7 anyway).
On paper, it looks like the closest to the Breed yet.

Do want. :yum:

MetalHead40

Reaction score
Have to check out the specs on the site for these. Can't say I've been to impressed with the Dimarzios I've tried thus far.

Revocation kicks all kinds of ass!

Miek

POSTING ON INTERNET
Reaction score
i know it would probably be bad for b usiness but i wish pickup makers would document how they make pickups sound different from one another, so you could figure out exactly what it was you liked about certain pickups.

Descent

Reaction score
BOth seem spongy and mushy to my taste but maybe he needed that in order to get the "clarity" he wanted...or maybe it is the recording.

This demo had more of a crunch which I thought sounds a lot better:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxUuOv4eEJE

The neck pickup was definitely better but not impressed by either. He has some interesting chops though, makes me want to check out his band more.

KnightBrolaire

Reaction score
BOth seem spongy and mushy to my taste but maybe he needed that in order to get the "clarity" he wanted...or maybe it is the recording.

This demo had more of a crunch which I thought sounds a lot better:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxUuOv4eEJE

The neck pickup was definitely better but not impressed by either. He has some interesting chops though, makes me want to check out his band more.

You should definitely check out Great is our sin. Such a good album.

Mathemagician

Reaction score
List of metal guys talk about "jazz/blues" influences. He played in jazz band all through school (talks about it in an interview), and it definitely shows in his playing/soloing style that he did more than just worship one or two shredders.