Dimarzio Ionizer...there's your 8 string single

• Thread starter TheOrangeChannel
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
Wait... I could go H/S on my 8 w/o any routing if I get a pickguard... :idea:

Screw a middle pup...

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Koloss85

The Doomslayer
Reaction score
but how do the compare to the da8's? I must know. Why can't I be rich so I can have a bunch of 8's with all these different pickups and configurations? I need a better job!

tedtan

Reaction score
Meanwile 7-string users only have the Blaze single to pick from even though HSH bodies are more common.

Yeah man, don't hold your breath on a 7-string Dimarzio single coil. I asked Steve for a 7-string traditional single coil (not a stacked humbucker like the Blaze) several times a year or two back and he kept saying there were no plans for one. I doubt that will change unless Vai or someone of his stature ask for one.

codycarter

Reaction score
I don't really like the h-s-h configuration. However I love h-x-s and h-s-s. Problem is, the description of the neck pup is that it sounds like a single coil...soo will I get away with having a h-x-h that sounds like a h-x-s?

I can't wait for all of you guys with money to try these out so I can form an opinion on them ;)

codycarter

Reaction score
Wiring both in series might solve the output problem?! Also loads of people use scooped pickups, just think about the Blaze bridge.

Well yeah that could solve the output, but I like basswood and alder guitars, so if I were to scoop out what little mids I have, with a guitar with that much bass..naa not for me. Great idea though!

Ishan

Giant Fridge Magnet
Contributor
Reaction score
That wouldn't work. for two singles to be humbucking in series, you need one of them reverse wound/reverse polarity.

Whammy

Reaction score
i think it makes sense that they did release an 8-string single as part of the set. I saw AAL a fortnight ago and tosin used the middle single in his new LACS quite a lot, it seems pretty essential for what he was doing. There's also a huge chunk of the 8-string market share serviced by smaller boutique builders who will be able to easily accommodate this pickup into custom builds. And if people want an 8-string SC it will have to be that dimarzio because there are no alternatives. It won't be a huge volume of sales but it's probably a smart move for dimarzio moving into the future

I didn't actually think of it from the point of view as a "set". Makes more sense like that.
And yeah, getting their foot in the door now before everyone else really does open up the market for them. I have nothing against them releasing the set. It looks like it sounds awesome. Nearly makes me want to get an hsh 8-string.
I would have just assumed that more 7singles would have been released by now.
In my head they would have a greater return from that. They obviously have their reasons so I'm sure I'm wrong.

Yeah man, don't hold your breath on a 7-string Dimarzio single coil. I asked Steve for a 7-string traditional single coil (not a stacked humbucker like the Blaze) several times a year or two back and he kept saying there were no plans for one. I doubt that will change unless Vai or someone of his stature ask for one.

Super lame :(
Hopefully they'll release a new UV at some stage with new pickups now that the UV777bk is discontinued.

celticelk

Reaction score
And if people want an 8-string SC it will have to be that dimarzio because there are no alternatives.

There are no *off-the-shelf* alternatives. SD built a single-coil bridge 8 for an SS.org member not long ago, and I'm fairly certain that Vintage Vibe would build you a SC 8 if you asked - he advertises 8-string Stringmaster single-coils, which aren't all that far off. No doubt there are other options as well.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
My shop has a bunch of these on order, I'll post some clips when we get the first batch in. At least of the bridge and neck models, I don't have an HSH 8 :)

jsl2h90

Reaction score
So there I was on the Dimarzio page, searching for an alternative to D-Activators just out of curiosity, hoping for a lower output pickup and possibly some info on the ever elusive PAF 8's. Still nothing on those. Fortunately, I noticed Dimarzio is offering a brand new pickup based on Tosin Abasi's feedback which seems to be a tweaked version of the D-Activators. (I'm going off the last time I talked to him at the LA Custom Guitar and Amp show/Axe-Fx Fest in October)

I asked him what pickups he was using since I noticed he changed the white pickups out of his LACS for a black/white set. He said he couldn't go into much detail, only that he likes the D-Activators, but was looking for a pickup with a slightly lower output which would allow for a greater transparency and was having Dimarzio custom-wind him a new set (he mentioned a desire to hear the wood of the guitar). I'm guessing these pickup traits lend themselves to his thumping material among other things.

Pretty cool if you ask me, I may look at getting a set of these. Pardon if there is already a thread open on this subject, but this is the first time I've heard anything about these pickups.

8-String | DiMarzio

EDIT: Fuck. Well glad to see I'm not the only one wondering what's up with those PAF's.
http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/pi...rzio-ionizer-theres-your-8-string-single.html

Syriel

owns a .strandberg*
Reaction score
Saw this posted by Axe Palace on Facebook.

VERY VERY interested that single coil.

Is this officially Tosin's signature pickup in the same way Vai's Blaze and Petrucci's CL/LF is?

Anyways, great to see more options for 8 stringers out there. :yesway:

MobiusR

Thall, that is all
Reaction score
Oh my god i just saw the 8 string humbucker pickup.... GETTING THESES ASAP

')