Dimarzio Ionizer...there's your 8 string single

• Thread starter TheOrangeChannel
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

FrancescoFiligoi

Guitarist in Within Destruction / Abiogenesis
Reaction score
Spoke with Tosin a year and a half ago about these, he said he was working with Steve on signature Dimarzio pickups. Glad they're finally out :)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ben_hurt

Reaction score
yup, totally want the single coil. Can't wait until these come out

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Saw this posted by Axe Palace on Facebook.

VERY VERY interested that single coil.

Is this officially Tosin's signature pickup in the same way Vai's Blaze and Petrucci's CL/LF is?

Anyways, great to see more options for 8 stringers out there. :yesway:

Yep, our post can be found here if anyone else would like to see it: Timeline Photos | Facebook

I dont know why DiMarzio still doesn't have the PAF8s on their website. We've sold a lot of those and people seem to like them.

7stringDemon

Reaction score
I think I'm going to put an H-S configuration on my RG8 :D

I might get these instead of the DA8. I like the stats better (since I'm not a djent player!)

Damo707

Ibaninja
Reaction score
I'd have to agree with this, sadly. Tosin is an amazing player and composer. But his tone is pretty... average.

Though that middle pickup is tempting, just to experiment with. Can't wait for a Tosin sig...

I saw aal in brisbane last month with btbam. I shit you not btbam had the guitar tone of the night. Not putting down the fractals but the real amps sounded better. Or maybe it's the player haha.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
are you saying that there IS a Tosin Abasi signature model coming?!

I'm not affiliated with Ibanez at all, so I don't know. But one would have to think there's some new 8-string model coming out thats HSH, otherwise whats the point of all this? Very few people order custom shop 8 out there.

I saw aal in brisbane last month with btbam. I shit you not btbam had the guitar tone of the night. Not putting down the fractals but the real amps sounded better. Or maybe it's the player haha.

I own an Axe-FX and love it for studio work, but yes many of us prefer using 'real amps' live. Plenty of bands get great live tones from their Axe-FX, but for me personally, I've always gotten better results with my tube rig (currently an ENGL Invader 100-->VHT FatBottom 4x12).

Lorcan Ward

7slinger
Reaction score

Dimarzio Ionizer for 8 strings and Gravity Storm for 6 strings. No Dimarzio love for 7 strings this year?

Matt_D_

Reaction score
sig confirmed!

i dont think i could ever own one, I dont think ill ever play well enough to feel comfortable playing one!

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score
Very nice! i think i'd love the neck pickup, but i'd probably rather go for a D Activator 8 for the bridge.

Whammy

Reaction score
I wonder if this guitar is around the M8M price range?
I hope not.
This guitar looks and sounds awesome :yum:

Malkav

Washing your dishes.
Reaction score
I know it's not necessarily something they would have done, but I remember reading that the single coil on the Herman Li Ibanez is made to be hotter so that you can lower it further and not lose output, I wonder if they would have done this with the Ionizer single? As someone who dislikes having the middle single coil getting in my way that would be pretty damn sweet and would make me seriously consider getting one seeing as I love the out of phase and tapped sounds but not the volume drop you normally get :)

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I know it's not necessarily something they would have done, but I remember reading that the single coil on the Herman Li Ibanez is made to be hotter so that you can lower it further and not lose output, I wonder if they would have done this with the Ionizer single? As someone who dislikes having the middle single coil getting in my way that would be pretty damn sweet and would make me seriously consider getting one seeing as I love the out of phase and tapped sounds but not the volume drop you normally get :)

There's a better way to do it that some pickup manufactures do. Which is: instead of just cutting the output in half when splitting coils, when you do split it engages extra winds to compensate and thus there's no perceived loss in output. Both PRS and Bare Knuckle do these and there's zero volume drop-off. I don't know if Seymour Duncan or DiMarzio does this yet, but if not I'm sure they will in the future. It's a no brainer.

Racerdeth

Reaction score
The vid with Tosin might put a damper on everyone spaffing over H-S and H-S-S 8s, as he runs through the wiring you'll notice he doesn't have a position on the 5 way that uses the middle pickup on its own, so I'd imagine it's not designed to sound amazing on its own and it's mostly their for stratty quacking in pos 2+4.

Of course it might sound brilliant anyway!

')