DiMarzio Quick Connect???

• Thread starter mrblue
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

mrblue

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Hello,

I recently purchased an Ibanez RGIXL7. So naturally as with most guitars that come my way the first thing I did was take it apart (then put it back together again)

When I pulled out the stock pickups (DiMarzio Fusion Edge) I noticed quick connectors on the bottom similar to EMGs (sorry, I didn't think to take a pic). Wow!

Does anyone know if this is something new DiMarzio is doing or is it just for these Ibanez-specific pickups?

Thanks.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jwade

Doooooooooom
Reaction score
It's been a thing for awhile. If you want to, you can order directly from Dimarzio and request the quick connect version of whatever pickup.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Yeah they do it mostly for guitars that come stock with DiMarzios. I've seen it in other guitars like the EBMM JP line and the Jackson PC-1 sigs.

mrblue

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
This is good to know. I guess I've never owned a guitar that came with stock DiMarzio's.

Neon_Knight_

Reaction score
Yeah they do it mostly for guitars that come stock with DiMarzios. I've seen it in other guitars like the EBMM JP line and the Jackson PC-1 sigs.
How common is this for Ibanez guitars though? Perhaps it's limited to the Iron Label line or is only a very recent thing?

soul_lip_mike

Contributor
Reaction score
Yep I just opened up my Jackson PC1 and was kind of shocked to see quick connects in there. I am replacing the dimarzio’s with dunans which don’t have the quick connect so I’m not sure what to do.

Reaction score
Be aware that the Quick connect ports are BRAND compatible only, meaning, EMGs will be compatible ONLY with EMGs, DiMarzio with DiMarzios and so on. The lead wire color code each brand has is different from the other brands (although many will use Seymour Duncan coding), which will mean unexpected pickup tones... NOT BAD tones, just unexpected or even not working positions. It won't create a space-time diversion nor any atomic explosion, but it probably won't sound as one would expect it to.

If one is changing pickup brand, one should as well change the wire connections at the switch/circuit... and eventually the whole circuit if going from actives to passives or vice versa....

torchlord

Reaction score
I had a project I was going to do something like this to my pickups but I found routing the wire around so it laid flat under the pickup and between the screw heads kind of challenging. It is possible you could buy your own guitar cable 1x5 housing and the corresponding connectors that go with the housing from this site. You would want to make sure the dimensions are exact for what Dimarzio uses then buy a really good crimping tool which is not cheap.

I got the nice one and it still was kind of difficult to get a good crimp, but they have cheaper ones. If you look around the net you might be able to find a crimp tool for less.

There used to be a video on the site on how to do it but can't seem to find it now. If you do a quick search on YouTube you likely would find something on how to make them connectors.

Last edited:

leftrb

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Be aware that the Quick connect ports are BRAND compatible only, meaning, EMGs will be compatible ONLY with EMGs, DiMarzio with DiMarzios and so on. The lead wire color code each brand has is different from the other brands (although many will use Seymour Duncan coding), which will mean unexpected pickup tones... NOT BAD tones, just unexpected or even not working positions. It won't create a space-time diversion nor any atomic explosion, but it probably won't sound as one would expect it to.

If one is changing pickup brand, one should as well change the wire connections at the switch/circuit... and eventually the whole circuit if going from actives to passives or vice versa....

Just joined this forum and man that captcha was not obvious. The EMG passive quick connect system is 100% compatible with the Dimarzio system.

Reaction score
Just joined this forum and man that captcha was not obvious. The EMG passive quick connect system is 100% compatible with the Dimarzio system.
... well, that is called a COINCIDENCE... as you can understand, I don't have in my memory all the brands' color codes to say what is or not direct swap. Seymour and DiMarzio aren't for sure. By compatible I mean to say that the leads color codes are the same, which aren't for Seymour and DiMarzio. This doesn't mean that one cannot mix brands with different color codes, one can, even passive with active pickups, it's just that some combinations are only possible within the same kind of pickups, where the double coil passive ones have the most broader range of combinations. The possible combos between 2 DiMarzio hums are the same as 2 Seymour hums (passive) or one DiMarzio and one Seymour (passive) or any other brand combination...

Question, the compatibility you are referring to is about mechanical connection or does it includes lead wire functions?

leftrb

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Question, the compatibility you are referring to is about mechanical connection or does it includes lead wire functions?

Yeah I was actually searching for Dimarzio's page with info about ordering one directly and came across this thread. The 5 pin connector is the same between the brands and the EMG HZ color coding is identical to Dimarzio's. So you can buy EMG's passive wiring components (which Dimarzio doesn't sell) and use those components for either Dimarzio plug-in base pickups or EMG passive pickups (or both).

Reaction score
Yeah I was actually searching for Dimarzio's page with info about ordering one directly and came across this thread. The 5 pin connector is the same between the brands and the EMG HZ color coding is identical to Dimarzio's. So you can buy EMG's passive wiring components (which Dimarzio doesn't sell) and use those components for either Dimarzio plug-in base pickups or EMG passive pickups (or both).
Good to know... thanks for sharing...

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
I'd be interested in this if DiMarzio didn't treat smaller sellers like trash.

')