DiMarzio Tone Zone Replacement - Ibanez RGR652

Metropolis

Reaction score
Another pickup thread for overthinking pickups... doesn't work too well with low tunings and this guitar has kind of deep lows (ash body, fixed bridge, bolt-on neck) in itself and Tone Zone having lots of low mids just makes it messy and flubby. I think there is snappiness and lots of highs too, but not too much in the certain upper mid range, those are something I would want more along with more modern and aggressive sound while maintaining fullness in lows. Ceramic magnet with not too much output should be where it's at.

I would like to stay in DiMarzio range because of easiest fit in Ibanez routing and mounting tabs. I have sorted out some options I would like to try, and some I would not. I've had D Activators, D Activator-X and Titan in different guitars before.

Yes: Crunch Lab, D Sonic, Illuminator, Dominion
Maybe: Evolution, Evo 2, Titan, D Activator, Imperium
Nope: D Activator-X, X2N

Attachments

• dimarzio.jpg
    dimarzio.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 18

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

dshea19

Reaction score
I have heard, but I can't say from experience, that the Dominion is like someone fixed a Tone Zone. Tighter bass and fuzziness removed from the highs. Tighter and clearer. I am planning on using one in my next project to see what is what.

Metropolis

Reaction score
I have heard, but I can't say from experience, that the Dominion is like someone fixed a Tone Zone. Tighter bass and fuzziness removed from the highs. Tighter and clearer. I am planning on using one in my next project to see what is what.

I did read all the forum content about the Dominion I could find and for me it might be most interesting choice of all these DiMarzios. Unfortunately good comparisons about Dominion are almost non existent, or you could just guess how it sounds in comparison to other DiMarzios. That's exactly what I don't like about Tone Zone, though it's okay in my other standard tuning Ibanez with basswood body and Edge Zero II.

Legion

Slightly cynical, mostly okay, completely drunk.
Reaction score
I fucking hated the Dominion in mine. I have the same guitar. Ended up going to an Air Zone. The Dominion was... too tight. Yes, there is such a thing. Palm mutes sounded anemic and weak.

Metropolis

Reaction score
I fucking hated the Dominion in mine. I have the same guitar. Ended up going to an Air Zone. The Dominion was... too tight. Yes, there is such a thing. Palm mutes sounded anemic and weak.

Shame that it didn't work for you. I'm kind of intrigued with the fact it's really tight. At least @TheWarAgainstTime & @KnightBrolaire have shown some love for it.

Humanoid

Reaction score
I would definitely test Evolution. I've had it in many guitars with exactly the same specs (ash body, fixed bridge, bolt-on), and it works very well with low tunings. If you think it has too much output, Titan is a nice choice too. They sound a bit similar, but Titan is not as hot. It's also handling lower tunings very well.

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
Shame that it didn't work for you. I'm kind of intrigued with the fact it's really tight. At least @TheWarAgainstTime & @KnightBrolaire have shown some love for it.

Yes yes yes to the Dominion. I have a handful of them that I've tried in at least 5 guitars of varying tonality. I like it the best in brighter guitars, though it still does well in guitars with a more pronounced low end as long as the high end isn't clouded up because of it. I bet it would sound massive in an ash RG like this.

The Dominion has a very broad midrange like the Tone Zone, but it's centered a bit higher and is a lot tighter and more aggressive overall. It's a pretty clear pickup, I'd say medium-hot in output, great for chugging and chords. The D-Sonic and Illuminator seem promising as well, though I haven't tried them in any of my guitars. I wasn't a fan of the Crunch Lab I had since it seemed very bloated, overly hot, and fuzzy on the top end. That was cool for leads, but really made it fall apart for heavy rhythm stuff.

KnightBrolaire

Meth Detal
Reaction score
Dominion will do what you want. It's tight, has good upper mids but not in a harsh way like say Painkillers. Illuminator is a good second choice but it's definitely brighter which can make it feel harsh in the wrong guitar.. It's a far more versatile bridge pickup and has better clarity overall though ime.
Or just listen for yourself.

Last edited:

Metropolis

Reaction score
I would definitely test Evolution. I've had it in many guitars with exactly the same specs (ash body, fixed bridge, bolt-on), and it works very well with low tunings. If you think it has too much output, Titan is a nice choice too. They sound a bit similar, but Titan is not as hot. It's also handling lower tunings very well.

Actually Titan has more output than Evolution in millivolts, and Titan has certain mid focused spike which I liked when it was in my RG652KFX. Kind of trying to stay away from the cocked wah mids which both have... more so Evolution and that's why it was in the "maybe" section. Tone Zone is little bit same way in that regard.

Edika

Reaction score
I have the Dominion set and have tried it in three guitars so far. It certainly excels in lower tunings but it will not change too much the character of the instrument. I have a USA soloist that is a really dark sounding instrument that I also had tuned in C. In that instrument it didn't much over the pickup I had already installed. It actually made the guitar sound muddier. In my Jackson KE2 it tightened the sound but still sounded better in C rather in D. In a brighter guitar in E standard it was just high and high mids. So it really depends on your instrument and tuning.

One cheap thing you can do with the Tonezone is replace the magnet for an A8 one. You'll get a tighter bads response, more midrange and more output. I did it to mine and I'm happy with the result. Or you can add ceramic flanks to the pickup while keeping the A5. It will tighten the bass response and give you a bit of the Ceramic flavor with the warmth of an A5.

KailM

Reaction score
I would look closely at the Dominion and the D Sonic. I would scratch the Crunch Lab off the list for your purposes.

I loved my D Sonic when I had one. It was in a Les Paul, and was definitely tight in D Standard and drop C, but not in an overly modern, djenty/twangy way — the lows were thick and chunky, but precise and percussive.

Metropolis

Reaction score
I have the Dominion set and have tried it in three guitars so far. It certainly excels in lower tunings but it will not change too much the character of the instrument. I have a USA soloist that is a really dark sounding instrument that I also had tuned in C. In that instrument it didn't much over the pickup I had already installed. It actually made the guitar sound muddier. In my Jackson KE2 it tightened the sound but still sounded better in C rather in D. In a brighter guitar in E standard it was just high and high mids. So it really depends on your instrument and tuning.

One cheap thing you can do with the Tonezone is replace the magnet for an A8 one. You'll get a tighter bads response, more midrange and more output. I did it to mine and I'm happy with the result. Or you can add ceramic flanks to the pickup while keeping the A5. It will tighten the bass response and give you a bit of the Ceramic flavor with the warmth of an A5.

It can be bit of a gamble sometimes... Those were with floyd and neck-through or what? Can be the reason why Jacksons are often equipped with EMG's and Duncans. Magnet change would give ceramic flavor but not change the eq of it too much, which I want.

I'm predicting that Crunch Lab can get into muddy territory, and something like Evolution or D Activator in this guitar would have too much highs and make it thin sounding. Imperium has tad less output I prefer and highs seem too much tamed.

X2N and D Activator-X are in the nope section because they feel like they're always on full blast and get fuzzy really quickly. Which seems to be nature of most rail pickups.

Something balanced would be safest bet like Evolution, Titan, D Sonic, Illuminator or D Activator, but it feels too safe to have one of those... Probably gonna pickup a Dominion tomorrow from the local store and see what it's all about. Thanks to everyone for your thoughts!

Humanoid

Reaction score
Actually Titan has more output than Evolution in millivolts, and Titan has certain mid focused spike which I liked when it was in my RG652KFX. Kind of trying to stay away from the cocked wah mids which both have... more so Evolution and that's why it was in the "maybe" section. Tone Zone is little bit same way in that regard.

Good to know. Still, when I compared Evo to Titan with my friend's RG550, Titan sounded slightly weaker. But maybe that's the mid spike you mentioned that gives the impression of being not-so-hot.

Edika

Reaction score
It can be bit of a gamble sometimes... Those were with floyd and neck-through or what? Can be the reason why Jacksons are often equipped with EMG's and Duncans. Magnet change would give ceramic flavor but not change the eq of it too much, which I want.

I'm predicting that Crunch Lab can get into muddy territory, and something like Evolution or D Activator in this guitar would have too much highs and make it thin sounding. Imperium has tad less output I prefer and highs seem too much tamed.

X2N and D Activator-X are in the nope section because they feel like they're always on full blast and get fuzzy really quickly. Which seems to be nature of most rail pickups.

Something balanced would be safest bet like Evolution, Titan, D Sonic, Illuminator or D Activator, but it feels too safe to have one of those... Probably gonna pickup a Dominion tomorrow from the local store and see what it's all about. Thanks to everyone for your thoughts!

I tried the Dominion set in the two Jacksons that are neckthrough with Floyds and maple necks witj Alder wings. Quite a different response on these two guitars. The Kelly is more balanced in sound and the Soloist is dark but also sounds really thick.
The third guitar I tried the set in is a Carvin DC400 which is neckthrough with maple neck, alder wings, a really thick maple top and a Wilkinson trem. Really bright guitar and the Dominions were nice but super bright. I mean if I tuned the guitar low they would have been fine but they were too bright for E standard.

The Tonezone is in a Mahogany body Ibanez prestise with a puzzle top of maple and ovangkol. I wanted the Tonezone as the stock Dimarzio/IBZ where a bit thin sounding for this guitar. The Tonezone solved that issue but did have that bass sag it's famous for. The A8 tightened the bass response and bumbed the mids a bit more so it is a meaner version the Tonezone.

I suggested the magnet swap as an A8 bar costs about £4-6 vs a £75 Dominion bridge.

Metropolis

Reaction score
I tried the Dominion set in the two Jacksons that are neckthrough with Floyds and maple necks witj Alder wings. Quite a different response on these two guitars. The Kelly is more balanced in sound and the Soloist is dark but also sounds really thick.
The third guitar I tried the set in is a Carvin DC400 which is neckthrough with maple neck, alder wings, a really thick maple top and a Wilkinson trem. Really bright guitar and the Dominions were nice but super bright. I mean if I tuned the guitar low they would have been fine but they were too bright for E standard.

The Tonezone is in a Mahogany body Ibanez prestise with a puzzle top of maple and ovangkol. I wanted the Tonezone as the stock Dimarzio/IBZ where a bit thin sounding for this guitar. The Tonezone solved that issue but did have that bass sag it's famous for. The A8 tightened the bass response and bumbed the mids a bit more so it is a meaner version the Tonezone.

I suggested the magnet swap as an A8 bar costs about £4-6 vs a £75 Dominion bridge.

There might be too many variables to figure out which of those specs affects to tone. If we go deeper in overthinking side, in pickups even baseplate material and type of pole screws affect how it's going to sound like. Magnet swap would be cheap of course, but I want to buy stuff :lol:

Legion

Slightly cynical, mostly okay, completely drunk.
Reaction score
I think a possible solution migt lie in you studying your tone a bit more.
WHAT part of the frequencies are contributing to the mud? the mids? In which case perhaps a mid scooped pickup would help you, such as the Steve's Special (LOVELY pickup, own one, sounds crisp and clear). Low end? Then yes maybe a Dominion would fit the bill. The thing is, the two guitars can sound wildly different even if they are the same model.

Some other solutions are the Air Zone (I found it MUCH MUCH less muddy than a Tone Zone), AT1, Evolution, Steve's Special. Or of course, a Dominion might be the call here. Hope that helps.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Another pickup thread for overthinking pickups... doesn't work too well with low tunings and this guitar has kind of deep lows (ash body, fixed bridge, bolt-on neck) in itself and Tone Zone having lots of low mids just makes it messy and flubby. I think there is snappiness and lots of highs too, but not too much in the certain upper mid range, those are something I would want more along with more modern and aggressive sound while maintaining fullness in lows. Ceramic magnet with not too much output should be where it's at.

I would like to stay in DiMarzio range because of easiest fit in Ibanez routing and mounting tabs. I have sorted out some options I would like to try, and some I would not. I've had D Activators, D Activator-X and Titan in different guitars before.

Yes: Crunch Lab, D Sonic, Illuminator, Dominion
Maybe: Evolution, Evo 2, Titan, D Activator, Imperium
Nope: D Activator-X, X2N
Trying to figure out what you're after, exactly, but it sounds like something that sounds nothing like a Tone Zone? :lol:

Evo probably could work, bright with plenty of upper mids, as I recall, with fairly clear low end. If you're willing to branch out though a Duncan Custom could work really well here, too_Otherwise, if you want something similar to a Tone Zone, I always thought an AT1 was sort of like a sweeter, more vocal Tone Zone, but it's not at all a "modern and aggressive" sounding riffing pickup.

EdgeCrusher

Reaction score
I like the D-Sonic quite a bit personally. I use to have the Tone Zone in my RG570 and RGA121, and swapped them both for the D-Sonic with perfect results. Much tighter, more clarity, more modern sounding. Also equally suited to rhythm and leads.

I've also had D-Activators, and prefer the D-Sonic. The D-Activator sounded broader and less tight, with too much output, compression and high end fizz for my tastes.

Not sure how the D-Sonic would sound in Ash, but it works great in Basswood and Mahogany guitars in my experience.

')