Dimarzio X2N-7 with PAF-7?

SkullCrusher

Reaction score
hello

its my first post i think so please be genital.

As the title says would the dimarzio x2n-7 in bridge work well with a PAF-7 in the neck?

would there be a big volume difference between the pickups?

the guitar would be a Ibanez Rg1527z as i hear they dont have the greatest pickups.

im used to emgs so I like the volume and high attack! and would these provide that?

thanks dominic?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
:lol:

Anyway... I have the X2N-7 in the bridge paired with a Blaze Bridge in the neck of one of my axes. I think that combo sounds good. I don't have much experience w/ the PAF-7 to be honest.

I think you might be able to sort out volume differences by tinkering with pickup height, though--maybe... :shrug:

I don't think the X2N 7 sounds *too* much louder than the Blaze Bridge if at all, really. At least not in my guitar/not to my ears.

SkullCrusher

Reaction score
Thanks for this info, how does the x2n sound with a clean tone? and how does it perform over all?

Cancer

Gazzmask
Reaction score
hello

its my first post i think so please be genital.

As the title says would the dimarzio x2n-7 in bridge work well with a PAF-7 in the neck?

would there be a big volume difference between the pickups?

the guitar would be a Ibanez Rg1527z as i hear they dont have the greatest pickups.

im used to emgs so I like the volume and high attack! and would these provide that?

thanks dominic?

I had this combo in my first Interceptor, and it all sorts of rocks and rules. No major volume difference, but the tones are night and day different (obviously). I got the PAF for cleans and solos, for that it excels. Both have a pretty sharp attack but the PAF is more glassy and smooth, where the X2N& a bit more harsh. Currently this is my favorite pickup combo ever.

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
Thanks for this info, how does the x2n sound with a clean tone? and how does it perform over all?

I think it sounds good clean and dirty. A lot of ppl find the X2N's clean tone to be "surprising" as it doesn't tend to distort like a lot of hotter pickups do when played clean.

I think it gets a cool 80s shredder tone dirty. I think it sounds like an Evo7 w/ slightly more "moan" than "sparkle" if that makes any sense... :lol:

SkullCrusher

Reaction score
Does the PAF give an almost legato sound to it?

smooth and seamless with a lot of distortion???

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
never used the paf

i hear the air norton 7 is very smooth. the liquifire 7 is also very smooth--i like this one alot.

SkullCrusher

Reaction score
I had this combo in my first Interceptor, and it all sorts of rocks and rules. No major volume difference, but the tones are night and day different (obviously). I got the PAF for cleans and solos, for that it excels. Both have a pretty sharp attack but the PAF is more glassy and smooth, where the X2N& a bit more harsh. Currently this is my favorite pickup combo ever.

Thanks sir

Im slightly worried there is a big volume difference between the two pickups? Would this be the case?

onefingersweep

Reaction score
never used the paf

i hear the air norton 7 is very smooth. the liquifire 7 is also very smooth--i like this one alot.

Right. The LiquiFire is even smoother than the Air Norton, thats the biggest difference between them.

If you want a really smooth sounding pickup for the neck which balances better outputwise go for the LiquiFire instead.

:lol: at the typo :D

Thanks sir

Im slightly worried there is a big volume difference between the two pickups? Would this be the case?

It should be quite big difference but since the X2N is in the bridge it won't be huge and if you have it just a little bit further away from the string and maybe the PAF a little bit closer it shouldn't be a problem. But as I said if you want smoothness go with the LiquiFire instead.

SkullCrusher

Reaction score
It should be quite big difference but since the X2N is in the bridge it won't be huge and if you have it just a little bit further away from the string and maybe the PAF a little bit closer it shouldn't be a problem. But as I said if you want smoothness go with the LiquiFire instead.

Ive been looking at the air norton in the neck also and that has a higher output so it would not have such a step between the two pickups.

do these pickups work well with a basswood body?

onefingersweep

Reaction score
Ive been looking at the air norton in the neck also and that has a higher output so it would not have such a step between the two pickups.

do these pickups work well with a basswood body?

The LiquiFire has more output than the Air Norton and is smoother. I haven't tried the 7-string version of the Air Norton but the LiquiFire definitely has a smoother sound in the 6-stringed versions, it's probably the same for the 7-string because Dimarzio always strive to make the 7-string versions as close to the 6-string versions as possible.

They work great in basswood, John Petrucci of Dream Theater have used the Air Norton in basswood guitar for years and the liquifire (which is his signature pup basically, just without his name) is just a tweaked version of the Air Norton. I don't know about the X2N tho but I'm sure it works well in basswood also. Most Dimarzio's actually work really well in basswood. I think it might be because of the long list of players who endorse Dimarzio and have basswood guitars. Dimarzio develop the pickups with them for them. Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, John Petrucci, Paul Gilbert etc.

')