Dimarzion D-Sonic 7 and X2N 7 AVAILABLE

• Thread starter technomancer
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
banjomikez on ebay has both pickups available in black now. I used to live in Harrisburg and have dealt with this guy for years, as I used to go into his shop all the time. I just ordered a D-Sonic for the bridge of my 7321 :)

His ebay store is here for anyone interested:
http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQfgtpZ1QQfrppZ25QQsassZbanjomikez

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jacksonplayer

The Fusion Guy!
Contributor
Reaction score
I've ordered from him before, as well. Highly recommended. Please give us a review of the D-Sonic 7 when you've installed it. I'm rather curious.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
May be a while on the review... I need to decide how I want to wire the guitar ;) I'm planning on completely replacing the electronics, using D-Sonic/Air Norton for bridge/neck respectively and am debating a Ghost piezo system.

More than likely the first round will just be the pickups/electronics/nut/tuners and the piezos will come later though...

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Wow, I'm impressed. Talked to Mike about adding something else to my order, and it turns out he shipped my pickup at 6:45 last night after I ordered at 6:15.

Vegetta

Pixel Farmer
Reaction score
OOOO :hbang: isnt the drop sonic supposed to be really close to the mega drive? (for 6 strings) I may have to get one of those

http://cgi.ebay.com/DiMarzio-D-Soni...408679690QQcategoryZ41426QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

must buy now...must buy now

....Damnit I cant decide which one:wallbash:

D Sonic 7
Specifications: Wiring Standard four conductor Magnet Ceramic Output 390 mV DC Resistance 12.03 K Treble Response 5.5, Midrange Response 6.0, & Bass Response 6.5.

X2N 7
Specifications: Wiring Standard four conductor Magnet Ceramic Output 510mV DC Resistance 13.97K. Treble Response 6.0, Midrange Response 5.5, & Bass Response 6.0.

Kagami

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Well there's also a drop-sonic for 6-strings, the d-sonic has the rail at the bridge whereas the megadrive has it towards the neck...I think the megadrive is medium output but I'm not sure as dmz once again doesn't have it on their site.

Vegetta

Pixel Farmer
Reaction score
you can flip the dsonic
pole pieces by bridge = warmer

bar by bridge= hotter

I have a mega drive in my 550 its pretty high output
350 mV, slightly scooped mids and recessed treble. treble 6, mids 5 and bass 7

i have mine wiht the blade next to the bridge

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The output on the X2N just seems like it would be limiting to me, so I went with the D-Sonic as it should be more versatile (that and I love Petrucci's tone ;) )

maskofduality

Brandeis Sophomore
Reaction score
i'm under the impression that john petrucci has yet to actually record anything with the dsonic and dsonic7.:scratch:

but i'm pretty sure it'll still sound familiar enough :)

The Dark Wolf

Contributor
Reaction score
maskofduality said:
i'm under the impression that john petrucci has yet to actually record anything with the dsonic and dsonic7.:scratch:

Well, of course. It's not going to be night and day different from what he was using.

I wonder if Eric has his in yet? I've had one on order for a few weeks (months?) now.

maskofduality

Brandeis Sophomore
Reaction score
i suppose he's waiting till he can mail out all the original orders off first *shrugs

that way no one will complain saying "i ordered ten minutes before him why does he get it before me?"

The Dark Wolf

Contributor
Reaction score
maskofduality said:
i suppose he's waiting till he can mail out all the original orders off first *shrugs

that way no one will complain saying "i ordered ten minutes before him why does he get it before me?"
Possibly. My order is probably one of the original orders, though. :lol:

I doubt it's on Eric's end, though. he's totally stand-up. Probably Dimarzio fucking him around. ;)

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The Dark Wolf said:
Well, of course. It's not going to be night and day different from what he was using.

I wonder if Eric has his in yet? I've had one on order for a few weeks (months?) now.

Doubtful. Mike is the first US dealer to get stock of them, and he's only gotten 4 or so of each in at this point.

BTW the D-Sonic 7 arrived this morning... now I just need to get up the guts to break out the soldering iron (first pickup install). Hopefully the Air Norton 7 will get here tomorrow and I can install both at the same time.

maskofduality said:

He used them live at the Cleveland show last month. You are correct, it did sound familiar enough ;)

I just wish LaBrie hadn't been sick... the vocals weren't bad, but definitely not up to par. I guess it could have been worse, as they canceled the Detroit show that was the following night...

7slinger

wake up dead
Contributor
Reaction score
technomancer said:
BTW the D-Sonic 7 arrived this morning... now I just need to get up the guts to break out the soldering iron (first pickup install). Hopefully the Air Norton 7 will get here tomorrow and I can install both at the same time.

He used them live at the Cleveland show last month. You are correct, it did sound familiar enough ;)

man I hope you get em installed good (remember to protect that finish if it's you first install)...I'm maybe thinking of installing that same setup in my NEW axe, which I just took out of the box, and will be starting a thread on right now:wavey:

maskofduality

Brandeis Sophomore
Reaction score
technomancer said:

cool, you've actually seen them in action :yesway:
how did it differ from the tone he used to have?

Mastodon

Songs about My Cats
Reaction score
7slinger said:
man I hope you get em installed good (remember to protect that finish if it's you first install)...I'm maybe thinking of installing that same setup in my NEW axe, which I just took out of the box, and will be starting a thread on right now:wavey:

The finish on the guitar? If you manage to burn/solder that you are in major trouble.

Kagami

Forum MVP
Reaction score
You should only be soldering in the electronics cavity so I don't see how that could even be a problem? Also the solder cools won't do anything but as for the iron you'll get some problems...well I turn mine to maximum heat which basically melts/burns anything you touch so that's a problem.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Honestly I have no concerns about damaging the finish as
1) it's the back of the guitar
2) it's a 7321 and I'm not afraid to refinish it if I have to...

If it was my RG8670 or JPM90, then I'd worry about it more. I'm more concerned about botching the solder job and having to do it multiple times to get things working ;)

As for the sound difference, maybe a tad bit tighter in the mid/bass range. I definitely liked it, thus my decision to try that pickup combo (well, and I know I like the Air Norton as a 6 in the neck, so I figured I'd give the 7 a shot).

j7899

Reaction score
Thanks for the post, I just ordered one of each now to sell my SD JB, and SD 59, obviously both seven string versions. I plan on putting the X2N-7 in the bridge and the D-Sonic-7 in the neck, should be interesting.

')