Dime core

• Thread starter Zamm Bell
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Zamm Bell

My name is Sam Bell
Reaction score
Ok before i start to explain anything. I fully respect what Dime has brought to the metal community, and how Pantera have gone on to inspire many amazing musicians. Dime is an increadible guitarist, and had some awesome vibrato.

Every city or town has one...every battle of the bands features one...every highschool has a small group supporting them. They are bands that completely, shamelessly go for the whole dime/pantera thing. Every riff, solo, lyric style, vox style, dress sence, stage presence, the whole lot!

Now i am not saying there is ANYTHING wrong with this, nothing wrong with interpriting your inspirations, making a tribute to whom inspires you. And i am NOT trying to put people into boxes. People are free to make music that means somthing to them, and if there having fun, and other people are gaining pleasure from it, then i am all for it.

However, after seeing alot of these style of bands, i accidently came up with a genra name for it "DIMECORE", it may never catch on, and your probaly thinking of a nice long, intelligent sounding reply about how much of an ass i am.

However, enjoy this thread as it was intended, for a discussion. I am not making a stab at anyone.

:agreed:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Esp Griffyn

Play more music
Reaction score
I'm gonna be honest, D-bag exemplified the bland metal guitarist to me when he was alive, I'm not gonna sugarcoat it now he is dead. By that same token, I'm glad Zakk Wylde isn't at the fore so much any more.

And yes, the Dimecore bands are terrible. I suppose its partly to do with the D-bag Deans and their cheap pickups, and partly to do with copying D-bags tone, but damn those kids sound awful!

leftyguitarjoe

Correct-handed
Reaction score
I know exactly what you mean man. There was a local band around where I lived that was a 4 piece (just like pantera) and had a strong southern sound (just like pantera).

They were huge douche bags.

13point9

Now with Less Hair!
Reaction score
can someone just play them some proper southern rock/ metal and get them to play that instead? lol

vampiregenocide

Reaction score
Never liked Dimebag's tone or playing, but he was a talented guy and nice enough from what it seems. However, a lot of the fans (especially youtubes posters) seem to be elitists who think hes the best thing since Beethoven. Its a shame his memory has been tainted with shitty name-raping guitars and egotistical fans.

ittoa666

Being confused on SS.org since 2008
Reaction score
Doesn't this actually exist in every cheesy band today that has a breakdown? Thanks to domination, we have ten thousand bands that sound the same.

Demiurge

Reaction score
It makes sense that Pantera has influenced a lot of bands. They're one of those metal bands (I would say that Metallica and Slayer would be other examples) that were available and accessible to hard rock fans without the fans having to go looking underground for them and that has given them a fairly wide sphere of influence.

The playing style is also fairly accessible (Dime's leads are great but the riffs are mostly Pentatonics for Dummies with some groove) and the Southern badass attitude and swagger was also appealing.

It is lame, though, when a band tries to so completely cop the vibe of another band. The fact that Dimebag is dead and we've seen his frickin' guitar company picking at his bones relentlessly just makes it seem worse. Also, there is only one Phil Anselmo in the world and that's puh-lenty enough.

blister7321

Reaction score
as a dime fan and pantera fan i do think some of us are goin kinda overboard , i mean i get told that i look like dime with my hair down and am wearing shorts, but i always wear shorts unless its cold, i dont do it to mimic dime,( my plaing style and overall sound is WAY WAY different), i do it cause its comfortable, however there are those who do purposely mimic them,and i think, that they think if they come across as "pantera lite" theyll get bigger oar signed faster, but it wont happen

Reaction score
I couldn't agree more. And chill dude, people aint gunna attack you for disliking something. If you think the majority of dime lovers are dellusional and unoriginal then say it. I'd rather someone say something I disagree with than not say it because they might offend me.

slapnutz

Reaction score
As a Dimebag fan I find this thread fucking lame and stupid. Dimebag was the best thing since Beethhoven.. yeah I cant spell his name, thats coz he aint as cool as Dime.

Kidding.:wavey:

Actually I'm a huge Pantera fan but I've experienced my share of idiot fellow fans. However I havent really seen as much Dimecore bands as say Slipknotcore or SOADcore of recent.

Also Phil Anselmo probably agrees with you... @2m26s

Backup Link
YouTube - Phil Anselmo Loyola University Pt 7/7

However I strongly disagree that Dimebag "exemplified the bland metal guitarist" but thats your opinion so I'll leave it at that.

jymellis

Talk To DeWalt
Reaction score
:evil:
pantera-powermetal.jpg

Reaction score
Yeah, until you guys move to the D/FW area and hear the literally hundred or so Pantera ripoff bands, you have nothing to bitch about.

lucasreis

ERG Ambassador
Reaction score
I love Pantera, but any fool that tries to mimic what his idol does and doesn't try to create something original is effin ridiculous. So, this whole Dime core shit is very stupid...

RevDrucifer

Reaction score
First off, I think all modern commercial metal sounds a lot like Pantera...they pretty much cemented the groove metal thing, clean vocals/screaming, djenty riffs and brought it up to the mainstream. A lot like back in the late 70's when Van Halen, this partyin' hard rock band that was just over the top spawned on the whole 80's Mr. Big's, Winger's, Cinderella's, Ratt...

Secondly, I wouldn't worry too much about the kids in high school, because...well, they're high school kids.

prplhz

Reaction score
I'm also a HUGE Dime fan. I think he was a great guitarist. He does get hyped up too much in my opinion though. It's sad he didn't get hyped this much until after his death. All these dimecore bands are trying to "keep his spirit alive" and failing hard in the mouth in my opinion. He was original in a few ways and I think if he knew what people were doing "in his name" he'd be rolling over in his grave.

big sal cbk

Reaction score
haha dimecore! i prefer the term "BRODUDES" though but that's more aimed at the moronic fanbase pantera have recieved over the years. dont get me wrong as i am a fan of pantera and dime, haven't listened to them as much in recent years, but i think the fans carry on like wrestlers. i suppose it goes with any genre of music that once a genre is popular enough there will always be groups of people around who adhere to stereotypes and/or just generally bring shame unto its respective genre. metal has brodudes, rap and hiphop has juggalos and punk has skinheads. YOU JUST CANT ESCAPE MORONS!!!!!!!!

')