Dime Warhead Amps Rehash

• Thread starter MASS DEFECT
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
I have always loved Dime's tone. :shrug:

If you grew up back then, everyone was trying to copy that sound.

I'm definitely a Dime-tone apologist 😂

It's unique, and more importantly it's aggressive and sits well with the rest of the band. I may just have a shit ear though - I've heard plenty of people talk well of old Deftones guitar sound and that shit sounds horrid to me.
If I learned anything we loved shit tone when we were younger lol

I remember thinking the Rammstein Sehnsucht/Herzeleid sound was THE sound to get. Now that I go back, it's way too scooped and harsh.

Last edited:

SJShinn

Reaction score
For me, it's a context thing. Dime's tone worked in the context of Pantera, but it would be garbage on say, a Dream Theater, or even a Death track. Still by far not my favorite guitar tone, but the dude could fucking rip. If these new amps are Warhead clones though, ehhhh, no thanks. Old RG's were actually pretty cool when not EQ'd and pushed into Dime tone territory

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
I think in the end they're just gonna use Warhead as the brand name and just reissue the RG100ES since they already did that with Dean and probably already have a basis to work on.

Edit: or were wrong and it's Tony Krank behind this and they're bringing back the Krankenstein

DiezelMonster

Complainasaurus Rex
Reaction score
He never recorded with the Warhead as far as I can tell. Only the RG100ES and Century. Even Southern Trendkill and Reinventing the Steel were RG100ES.

And yeah according to this (from Grady himself) he only used it for clean live.
As a devout fanboi I'm aware of all the tall tales and all the things he did and didn't use.

I'm merely stating MY experiences with the amps and all the gear used.

soul_lip_mike

Contributor
Reaction score
Why would Dime want to dial in his own tone? I respect that Walk is one of the metal songs of ever, but holy fuck is that guitar tone rough to listen to. Makes a Line 6 Spider III 15W in Insane mode sound like a cranked 5150 in comparison.
This is how I felt last night listening to some recommended strapping young lad songs that people mentioned in the Devin/Tosin/JP interview thread. That SYL tone is so bad.

soul_lip_mike

Contributor
Reaction score
If I learned anything we loved shit tone when we were younger lol

I remember thinking the Rammstein Sehnsucht/Herzeleid sound was THE sound to get. Now that I go back, it's way too scooped and harsh.
The tones I always wished I had when I was a kid in the 90’s were:

Fear Factory Demanufacture
The Black Album
Machine Head Burn my Eyes

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
The tones I always wished I had when I was a kid in the 90’s were:

Fear Factory Demanufacture
The Black Album
Machine Head Burn my Eyes
Those are actually great tones so you had great taste lol

Although Im not into the black album tone as much as I used to be. I find it's way too midrange and thin. I thought the Sad But True sound was great though since it was a little more scooped with more body. Idk why that song has such different tone compared to the rest of the album

Werecow

Reaction score
I still love all the tones i loved when i was a teenager as well.

I've always loved lots of different tones, but the consistent thing i've noticed is i really love quite a lot of saturation, and at least a bit of chunk in the palm mutes, but some thump in there as well, rather than a clank. If it's got all those things i'm good to go usually.
I think that's why i hate most djent tones. they're just thin and too weak to me.

MASS DEFECT

SS.ORG Infiltrator
Reaction score
Dime’s tone was alright. It worked for him and a lot of people have been aping the Dime tone eversince.

Phil’s corny lyrics and tough guy vocals were far more irritating. lmao Probably why Pantera was always the lamest gateway metal band you can get into back in high school in my time.

Jon Pearson

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Dime’s tone was alright. It worked for him and a lot of people have been aping the Dime tone eversince.

Phil’s corny lyrics and tough guy vocals were far more irritating. lmao Probably why Pantera was always the lamest gateway metal band you can get into back in high school in my time.

This implies there exists a metal band without corny lyrics or goofy vocals.... But like..... That's kind of the highlight of the genre?

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
So they sent out an email this weekend it seems?

The company is being ran by David Karon of KHDK fame. Preorders are opening soon and are shipping next month, and the first amp they're releasing is a limited edition 40w single-channel amp. Which is a far cry from the original 300w amp lol. But they call it the "mini" amp, so I gess a big one is coming in the future.

complex-barb.0t

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
So they sent out an email this weekend it seems?

The company is being ran by David Karon of KHDK fame. Preorders are opening soon and are shipping next month, and the first amp they're releasing is a limited edition 40w single-channel amp. Which is a far cry from the original 300w amp lol. But they call it the "mini" amp, so I gess a big one is coming in the future.
Important to note they are only making 333 of them. Good luck getting one. I wish people would just stop milking the Dimebag name with stuff like this.

40w solid state relegates it to a toy at home type amp.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Important to note they are only making 333 of them. Good luck getting one. I wish people would just stop milking the Dimebag name with stuff like this.

I'm absolutely not shocked since finding out Karon is involved. KHDK loooooves their limited edition gear
Though judging by the email it's just a special edition green amp, I guess they'll introduce a full production model if these are a success (they will be).
Also this better be voiced like the RG series and not the Warhead.

Werecow

Reaction score
Yeh, preordering this would be a hell of a thing, considering no one knows if it'll either sound like an RG or a fart in a tin can.

DimMak

Reaction score
I am a die hard Pantera fan and love his tone but I had a Warhead 2x12 combo. It sucked. Was fizzy and weird and lacked punch. Most of the effects sucked. It went down multiple times to the point that I traded it in for a RH200 half stack.

Moongrum

Reaction score
but I had a Warhead 2x12 combo. It sucked.
Are/were any of his signature products good?

I personally have a very poor view of products with his namesake on it, because they were just pumping shit out with his name when I was in middle school 😅
I have not heard good or bad things about Dean. Never heard a good thing about Krank. His MXR distortion pedal, never heard anything good about that. I liked the CFH wah, though.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Are/were any of his signature products good?

I personally have a very poor view of products with his namesake on it, because they were just pumping shit out with his name when I was in middle school 😅
I have not heard good or bad things about Dean. Never heard a good thing about Krank. His MXR distortion pedal, never heard anything good about that. I liked the CFH wah, though.
I heard a story that the Warhead was them trying to put his name on an amp he had no hand in designing at all. Its a Randall Cyclone with built in effects. I think he actually had a hand in the X2 and for sure the Krankenstein which is getting a better reuputation these days.

The CFH wah is a universally loved wah though, a lot of pros use them. I think Zakk and Cantrell were known users before they got their own wah and even Hammett said it's his favorite Crybaby lol

The Dean Razor guitars were 100% his designs though and those are godawful. Then again he helped make the Stealth shape which rules.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score

Is it supposed to be difficult to be one of the 333 people interested in paying some premium price for a new dimebag-branded amp in 2024?

Latest posts

')