Dime Warhead Amps Rehash

• Thread starter MASS DEFECT
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

lattjeful

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Are/were any of his signature products good?

I personally have a very poor view of products with his namesake on it, because they were just pumping shit out with his name when I was in middle school 😅
I have not heard good or bad things about Dean. Never heard a good thing about Krank. His MXR distortion pedal, never heard anything good about that. I liked the CFH wah, though.
The CFH wah and the SD Dimebucker are alright but everything else...

Ehhhhhhhhhhh.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

soul_lip_mike

Contributor
Reaction score

I personally have a very poor view of products with his namesake on it, because they were just pumping shit out with his name when I was in middle school 😅
I have not heard good or bad things about Dean. Never heard a good thing about Krank. His MXR distortion pedal, never heard anything good about that. I liked the CFH wah, though.
USA dime sigs (Washburn and Dean) were 🔥. Also love his crybaby. The rest never tried.

DimMak

Reaction score

The wah was about it for me too. Didnt like the Dimebucker unless installing it upside down with the duncan letters toward the neck, made it sound less thin and harsh.

All the shit after he was killed was total garbage IMO. Cashing in for sure.

Choop

uwu
Reaction score

The Krankenstein is pretty good -- and at the very least it's a whole lot better than the Warhead was.

oracles

Maximum Volume Yields Maximum Results
Reaction score
Krankenstein which is getting a better reuputation these days.

I'm not sure why, they're built extremely poorly like everything else Krank made. The reliability rate on them is very poor, and they're a nightmare to work on because of how badly they're assembled.

DimMak

Reaction score
All the Dime merch/sig stuff after his murder really turned me off. Felt very cheap, commercial and cash Grabby. Kind of gross.

soul_lip_mike

Contributor
Reaction score
All the Dime merch/sig stuff after his murder really turned me off. Felt very cheap, commercial and cash Grabby. Kind of gross.
All of the import Dean garbage like "DIMEBONICS" and "DIMEOFLAGUE" were horrible money grabs. I can't believe anyone would buy that crap. The real USA stuff is great, though. I've got 3 USA Dean Dimes (2x southern cross and a stealth) and I put them up against any of my custom USA Jacksons or Japanese ESP's.

RevDrucifer

Reaction score
I think Dean did a few models post-death that were actual Dime designs with the graphics and whatnot, but then immediately followed them with all the dumb shit that look more like tourist trap offerings than signature guitars.

Back in high school I suggested a Dimebucker to a friend who wanted “the craziest pickup”, I had never used a Dimebucker, I just assumed because of Dime it was going to be over the top. We installed it in an ESP Viper and when comparing it to the Evolutions in my JEM it was not very over the top at all, quite dull in comparison. He ended up with an Evolution.

hensh!n

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
If I learned anything we loved shit tone when we were younger lol

I remember thinking the Rammstein Sehnsucht/Herzeleid sound was THE sound to get. Now that I go back, it's way too scooped and harsh.
The harsh part is probably the SansAmp. But Rammstein is/was an Industrial band, that harsh/cold/mechanical kind of tone is on par for the genre.

Fear Factory also come from a similar type of lineage. And while their tone is vastly different, it still fits within that spectrum of Industrial/Industrial Metal.

Tone evolves, tastes change, and we only gain perspective years after the fact. I don't think it's the right approach to judge a subjective element (e.g., guitar tone) decades removed from the time period it was made. For example, when Demanufacture came out there was nothing that sounded like that. And Sehnsucht/Herzeleid also fit within the landscape of the era they were made in. Rammstein had that "German Depeche Mode on Steroids" thing going for them and it worked. Those records are definitely a product of their time though. Fads also come and go too. It seems that a lot of people are now "tired of Djent tones", but give it another 10-15 years and the same people may get nostalgic about them.

We went from "scooping the mids" to "all the mids". Just find what works and use that. It doesn't matter what the EQ looks like. There are no rules with this stuff. All the greats broke the rules.

Werecow

Reaction score
Semi off-topic but I still fuck with FF tone lol. SOANM and Demanufacture are still 10/10 guitar tones.
Demanufacture is still my favourite ever tone. It's a shame much of it is studio magic. I still get goosebumps dialling up a close enough tone and playing those songs though.

SOANM is still right up there for me as well.

hensh!n

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Semi off-topic but I still fuck with FF tone lol. SOANM and Demanufacture are still 10/10 guitar tones.
Same same. I think the guitar tone on Genexus is criminally underrated as well. That tone in Dielectric always gets me jacked, as with some of the tracks off Obsolete (e.g., Smasher/Devourer).

Shask

Reaction score
Same same. I think the guitar tone on Genexus is criminally underrated as well. That tone in Dielectric always gets me jacked, as with some of the tracks off Obsolete (e.g., Smasher/Devourer).

I pretty much love all of Dino's tones, except for The Industrialist. That one is a bit too squaky for me.

Brujerizmo is one of the heaviest Recto tones out there.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Re-Industrialized fixed the tone a good bit. Sounds a bit closer to his Mechanize sound. Which makes sense because according to Dino, he used the same rig on both amp. I remember during the marketing for the album, he claims he used a POD HD for Industrialist, but a couple of years ago on Twitter he said he used the same Vetta II + Recto 2x12 setup he used on Mechanize.

EDIT: Oops nevermind it was direct from the Vetta, no mics. Mechanize was Mesa 2x12 for sure though, probably why it sounds better.

I pretty much love all of Dino's tones, except for The Industrialist. That one is a bit too squaky for me.

Brujerizmo is one of the heaviest Recto tones out there.

Last edited:

hensh!n

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
EDIT: Oops nevermind it was direct from the Vetta, no mics. Mechanize was Mesa 2x12 for sure though, probably why it sounds better.

So I just listened to a play through of the Vetta II on YouTube and heard that "squaky" high mid thing from The Industrialist. I dig it.

Line 6 get a lot of flack, but they've made some really great guitar products. They still do, even if they're a bit behind the competition.

')