Dimebag and Dean are done - lawsuit follows

• Thread starter straymond
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Sermo Lupi

Reaction score
I don't feel like litigating the small differences between various camo (well actually, Washburn used the NATO standard woodland pattern with a mix of moss, dark green, and shit brown, while Dean happened to use 'Nam era type #3 camo which is a combo of deep green, rolling stone moss, and horse turd brown) and flame and animal print patterns over the years, or dig deep into the history of Deans he used prior to most recent endorsement.

I stand by what I said, the patterns and motifs were by and large not new to Dime by the time of Dean endorsement, which made up the majority of what's been offered in bulk the last couple decades.

Of a list of 26, your complaints pertain to what, 4 overlaps? What about all the others? There's easily >12 there that are Dean innovations.

I'm trying to accurately answer your questions but you keep moving the goalposts every time I do. :shrug:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Of a list of 26, your complaints pertain to what, 4 overlaps? What about all the others? There's easily >12 there that are Dean innovations.

I'm trying to accurately answer your questions but you keep moving the goalposts every time I do. :shrug:

There's no goalposts. You're way over complicating it. The myth is that Dean somehow sullied Dime's legacy by making a bunch of tacky guitars, when he was just a tacky person who had been playing tacky guitars for decades. Full stop.

mmr007

(anti)Social Influencer
Reaction score
I think at this point it doesn't matter who was more at fault for bringing guitar kitsch to the masses...both were guilty and it was once a marriage made in heaven. But because Dime is dead and Rita is apparently stuck in a 90's hillbilly time warp we don't know what, if any, changes to the metal aesthetic dime would use on his gear today. I know his warhead amps were also tacky as shit and I don't care if they sounded like a modded Soldano I wouldn't buy one for that reason. But because of new ownership and dwindling interest in all things Pantera (and confederate flag guitars) by the general guitar buying public...Dean has shown that they can abandon tacky...now it's over.

Honestly it doesn't matter where the goalposts got moved...the game was already over

ArtDecade

Way Cool Jr
Reaction score
There's no goalposts. You're way over complicating it. The myth is that Dean somehow sullied Dime's legacy by making a bunch of tacky guitars, when he was just a tacky person who had been playing tacky guitars for decades. Full stop.

:wub:

Sermo Lupi

Reaction score

You're arguing against a strawman. From my first two posts in this thread:

The problem would be that the various Dimebag guitars fit within Dean's existing design language, which was mostly tacky across the board in the mid-2000s and 2010s. [...] I won't sit here and argue Dimebag had good taste for anything but his own music. Yet I think he was attracted to Dean precisely because they made the kind of tacky guitars he had a soft spot for.

So I think we can agree on that much. The problem was your other claim that "it's not like Dean made Dime tacky, Dime made Dean tacky." Dean's been tacky for ages, and in ways that extend beyond Dimebag.

BenjaminW

Reaction score
Is that Dime's version of the Kamikaze, but with an American plane aesthetic?
I think MAB did the American plane aesthetic better. Dime’s version just looks like a bastardized Kamikaze.
D006F46F-0867-466F-9531-4902AEEDB609.png

StevenC

Needs a hobby
Reaction score
You're arguing against a strawman. From my first two posts in this thread:

So I think we can agree on that much. The problem was your other claim that "it's not like Dean made Dime tacky, Dime made Dean tacky." Dean's been tacky for ages, and in ways that extend beyond Dimebag.
This is very quantifiable though. Look at the 2003 Dean catalog. No graphics, just solid finishes and maple bursts. Then Dime happened.

Sermo Lupi

Reaction score
This is very quantifiable though. Look at the 2003 Dean catalog. No graphics, just solid finishes and maple bursts. Then Dime happened.

Totally classic maple bursts just like momma used to make (from the 2003 website):

angelo.jpg

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Dean were such dicks they made the poor guy play backwards...at the same time. :lol:

John

New album out now: https://goo.gl/PdPVYh
Reaction score
If anyone can make Dimebag guitars look sick asf and current in 2021, it's companies like Solar.

I wouldn't be so sure, especially since they didn't even have a good track record of making their own guitars look "sick asf" within the last several months or so.

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
NEW! Dimebag Guitars from SOLAR! Get the I'm Broken model, which comes pre gimmicked, just like the music video!

StevenC

Needs a hobby
Reaction score
Totally classic maple bursts just like momma used to make (from the 2003 website):

angelo.jpg
That's way classier than some of his earlier double guitars. And this was never a guitar they sold right? Just what MAB wanted to play.

For real, you can Google the 2003 catalog and see that it's just regular guitars.

lewis

Reaction score
I wouldn't be so sure, especially since they didn't even have a good track record of making their own guitars look "sick asf" within the last several months or so.

NEW! Dimebag Guitars from SOLAR! Get the I'm Broken model, which comes pre gimmicked, just like the music video!

Wtf have I missed about Solars ?

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
Wtf have I missed about Solars ?

Not sure of the details, but they had some serious fretboard cracking issues in the past.

They also sell B-stocks with bizarre flaws in their website (like maple fretbord that looks like rosewood and things like that, serious paint issues, etc). Any other manufacturer would just discard those, but with Solar they break free. But cheaper. :lol:

So they don't have that great reputation outside its target market.

Sermo Lupi

Reaction score
That's way classier than some of his earlier double guitars. And this was never a guitar they sold right? Just what MAB wanted to play.

For real, you can Google the 2003 catalog and see that it's just regular guitars.

No, you're right. I was just joking around. It's just kind of funny how Dean were putting those traditional finishes on everything that year--MLs, Vs, MAB double necks. Like their finish department was at PRS and their manufacturing plant at BC Rich.

Dean was in a weird spot circa 2003. They were competing with companies like BC Rich and Jackson, both of whom had bold finishes and graphics in production at that time. BC Rich had signature artists like Kerry King and Mick Thomson. Jackson had a whole roster. Dean landing Dime was huge for them.

It's that chicken and egg conundrum I mentioned earlier. Dean wasn't hiring a guy like Jensen to only design Dimebag's guitars. They were trying to grow the company in a different direction and Dimebag was just one of several artists to help with that. If you look at the 2005 catalogue (it seems there was no 2004 catalogue, just a price list and dealer addendum), Michael Schenker has a double-page spread with those bold black/white Vs and acoustics. There's regular guitars with flames, etc.

Holding (a dead) Dimebag responsible for that pivot is just silly. Dean had shown signs pointing in that direction for awhile. Go back and look at the old website designs if you want a good laugh.

')