Dimebag and Dean are done - lawsuit follows

• Thread starter straymond
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Matt08642

Reaction score
Nah, while that guy was loud and obnoxious, there are more than enough examples of solars(not washburns) with severe cracking in the ebony boards.

https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=10159869754231874&set=gm.853569938834427
https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=10159019250687510&set=pcb.846580956199992
https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=10158207680682914&set=pcb.845257552998999
https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=10158207680687914&set=pcb.845257552998999

Wouldn't be too hard to find more examples.

Makes me more than happy to love rosewood haha

I stand corrected!

I'd still wager on a Solar B stock as long as it didn't have these kinds of cracks as an issue. Been tempted to get one of their $599 B stocks but after currency conversion, shipping, and duties it's never worth it.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
It's not like those cracks can't be fairly cheaply and easily fixed. It doesn't make sense for Solar to do it since they're not tooled up and it does take time (which is money).

It would be silly to scrap them, these aren't $4k PRS guitars that don't make the grade and thus get bandsawed.

We're talking a little bit of filler or glue and some dust, then just wait for cure. There might be a tiny bit of sanding to do. So an afternoon with $15 materials.

When you hear folks bitching about ebony cracking like it's the end of the world, it's usually in the context of being on very expensive, sometimes difficult guitars to work on. That's not the case anymore as you can get $500 guitars with "ebony" boards that you don't have to sweat fucking up. Back when it was $2k+ flattops and LPCs it sucked. :lol:

I'm not even a fan of Solar or Ola, but some of this stuff is fairly trivial. If you're going to buy cheaper OEM guitars, you might have to put a little work in, and this is what I'd call "little" work.

SCJR

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I still haven't played a Solar but really want to. Being in the US they're obviously not really floating around in the wild.

All of y'all whining about how ugly guitars were in the 80s and I'm here laughing at all of your spalted, burl, and Strandberg-looking things. Dime had some ugly guitars, but you can't put that bad taste on the Sunset Strip. He rejected the Diamond and chose the Dimebag.

I'm with you 100% on the burl tops. But I've always understood the Strandberg to pretty much just be an S shape?

Last edited:

VGK17

Reaction score
I still haven't played a Solar but really want to. Being in the US they're obviously not really floating around in the wild.

I'm with you 100% on the burl tops. But I've always understood the Strandberg to pretty much just be an S shape?
I took a chance back in 2019 buying my first Solar, E2.6. Main thing was the shape, specs I want for my level of playing and the price. I wound up buying an E1.6 later that year with the Evertune. Both were flawless, even though the 2.6 was B stock. I wound up buying another E1.6 this year, the Vinter, and an A1.8 for my first 8 string. Again price and specs were what got me, and the Solar E shape turned out to be the most comfortable guitar for me to play. The two guitars I bought this year were made in late 2020 (the 8) and spring 2021 and both of those were also flawless. I'm lucky, I have seen pictures on Facebook of some cracks on the fretboards but there was definitely a very vocal minority who had issues and seems to be from a run of early to mid 2020. I live in the desert, I use a humidifier occasionally but I condition my fretboards regularly and have no issues with any cracks or large grain on any of them. I also have a couple of LTDs, I would say that Solar is on par with the 1000 series LTD.

Elric

Reaction score
Well, Dime did pass away 16 years ago. His fanbase probably is mostly just old dudes now. It makes sense that his signature guitars sell less and less, especially since they aren't really mainstream.
Thing is, he needs to keep putting out new material to stay relevant. You know, like Hendrix does.

Matt08642

Reaction score
It's not like those cracks can't be fairly cheaply and easily fixed. It doesn't make sense for Solar to do it since they're not tooled up and it does take time (which is money).

It would be silly to scrap them, these aren't $4k PRS guitars that don't make the grade and thus get bandsawed.

We're talking a little bit of filler or glue and some dust, then just wait for cure. There might be a tiny bit of sanding to do. So an afternoon with $15 materials.

When you hear folks bitching about ebony cracking like it's the end of the world, it's usually in the context of being on very expensive, sometimes difficult guitars to work on. That's not the case anymore as you can get $500 guitars with "ebony" boards that you don't have to sweat fucking up. Back when it was $2k+ flattops and LPCs it sucked. :lol:

I'm not even a fan of Solar or Ola, but some of this stuff is fairly trivial. If you're going to buy cheaper OEM guitars, you might have to put a little work in, and this is what I'd call "little" work.

Even without being fixed, the cracks in the ebony of my PRS SE haven't gotten worse over the 4 or 5 Canadian winters it's been through:

upload_2021-8-25_14-43-28.png

Shrug

manu80

Reaction score
Never been into Hendrix but ...basically it's just a strat , right ? Like Angus, a SG, period. Basic without personnal touch. And the Hendrix generation is like Dime's, it's fading... We'll talk about Peavey Wolfgang and EVH in 30 yrs and how people don't buy them anymore.....
Dean should just have kept the ML tobacco and the Lightning with Dime's name on it and that's it. Small production every year.

ArtDecade

Way Cool Jr
Reaction score
Never been into Hendrix but ...basically it's just a strat , right ? Like Angus, a SG, period. Basic without personnal touch. And the Hendrix generation is like Dime's, it's fading... We'll talk about Peavey Wolfgang and EVH in 30 yrs and how people don't buy them anymore.....
Dean should just have kept the ML tobacco and the Lightning with Dime's name on it and that's it. Small production every year.

Hendrix died 50 years ago and still sells more signature gear than most current bands combined.

Fenriswolf

Reaction score

Not even just a Strat...
c9e1a35e0dde4e4883542245560c519c.png

Hendrix-7_w5gidj.jpg

big_Jimi.jpg

a051d6d46a41001d67532a517dc24380.jpg

manu80

Reaction score
Thank you ..I was speaking about the most emblematic but ...yeah....anyways....
let's wait for the next Wah , then....

ArtDecade

Way Cool Jr
Reaction score
Thank you ..I was speaking about the most emblematic but ...yeah....anyways....
let's wait for the next Wah , then....

Wahs, vibes, fuzzes, picks, candles, shirts, blankets, bottle openers, toys, lighters, posters, lunch boxes, busts, bean bags, watches, straps, belt buckles, sneakers, oh - and music.

Fenriswolf

Reaction score
Wahs, vibes, fuzzes, picks, candles, shirts, blankets, bottle openers, toys, lighters, posters, lunch boxes, busts, bean bags, watches, straps, belt buckles, sneakers, oh - and music.

Maybe I don't look at gear enough, I didn't know they made any signature Jimi stuff besides the Fuzz.

I still want one of these shirts though.
Bob-Marley.jpg

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
Awww, come on now. There are plenty of people waiting for a soundboard recording of Damageplan playing a local BBQ place in 2003. I have a highly rated mid-80s bootleg of Pantera opening for Stryper that I am hoping to sell to the highest bidder.
I'd rather listen to 80s Pantera than anything after Vulgar. While I like Vulgar, the precedent it set was awful. Phil had one of the best new vocalists in the 90s on CFH, then he descended into drugs, awful screaming (to be more metal, duuude), and acting like a faux tough guy, when he's more like Edward Norton in American History X (including the rape scene). I probably shouldn't be this mad about it, but fuck you Phil. What you did to your voice is criminal. Now he can barely even speak, everything he says is in a fry voice. People seriously wanted a "reunited" Pantera -- why? So you can hear Phil Anselmo croak and scream, ignoring their good material because his voice is fucking shot?

So yeah, fuck you Phil. Dickhead.

Just in case anyone is thinking of reading this: His voice on Power Metal and CFH is better than Tim Ripper Owens.

')