Dimebag and Dean are done - lawsuit follows

• Thread starter straymond
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

mmr007

(anti)Social Influencer
Reaction score
"When Fender Mexico sends its strats, they're not sending their best...they're sending strats that have lots of problems and they are bringing those problems....and some I assume, are good strats" -Trump 2015

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

mmr007

(anti)Social Influencer
Reaction score
But we don't covet them all that much. 99/100 American musicians have no idea that those are even brand names. This changes to 92/100 is we are talking about American metal musicians.

38.8% of all stats are made up on the spot.
I always heard it was 38.9% and I believed it. Now I'm not sure which one is made up.

ArtDecade

Way Cool Jr
Reaction score
"When Fender Mexico sends its strats, they're not sending their best...they're sending strats that have lots of problems and they are bringing those problems....and some I assume, are good strats" -Trump 2015

trmp2.gif

Jonathan20022

Engineer
Reaction score
Who's offended? We're just talking about the minutiae of it and how it's referred to differently in some regions.

Just interesting to think about. :shrug:

Just from how people worded it, calling specific guitars imports definitely stepped on some toes.

Import guitars are built better than they ever have, and are more widely available in several different tastes and configurations. It's a good thing all around, but yeah I will absolutely remind myself that I'm playing an "import" Strandberg when I pick one up and remind myself what they're asking for those guitars.

The demographic that benefits the most from the recent change are beginners, the amount of choice and price points available for genuinely cool guitars is incredible. But you won't catch me paying asking prices for some brands/models and yes country of origin will always carry some weight in that :shrug:

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Just from how people worded it, calling specific guitars imports definitely stepped on some toes.

Import guitars are built better than they ever have, and are more widely available in several different tastes and configurations. It's a good thing all around, but yeah I will absolutely remind myself that I'm playing an "import" Strandberg when I pick one up and remind myself what they're asking for those guitars.

The demographic that benefits the most from the recent change are beginners, the amount of choice and price points available for genuinely cool guitars is incredible. But you won't catch me paying asking prices for some brands/models and yes country of origin will always carry some weight in that :shrug:

I think folks were just amused about how Americentric a term it is.

spudmunkey

Reaction score
In the US, "import" has been an analog for cheap/low quality, and replaced the word "foreign" which was widely used for cars, especially when the first Japanese cars came to the US...and it would have been accurate back then. Even then, though, it also (mostly) ignored anything durable/reliable/luxurious.

Seabeast2000

Deathcult® NPC
Reaction score
Huh? I'd say that there is a lot less snobbery about it now than there was in the 2000's, or even less so than the 1990's, and less still than the 1980's. And it's been earned. My first guitar was a mid-1980's Hondo that was made in Korea and was basically a piece of firewood. Harmonys and Magnums from the same time period were more or less equally shitty. I feel like Korean guitars by the mid-1990's were pretty good as a general rule, and now they are actually really good, as the cheaper stuff is now coming from two waves of developing industrial nations behind them... next up Ibanez's Zinc label guitars, made in Somalia or Congo... or wherever it's cheapest to exploit workers.
Ibanez Pig Iron Label.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
I think folks were just amused about how Americentric a term it is.

Basically this.

Of course you rarely ever hear someone calling a Mayones, Skervessen, Blackmachine or Daemoness guitar an "import". This leads to:
That's what the euphemism of "import" was replacing: "cheap".
Back in the 90's when legacy American brands started doing more globally sourced guitars the reps used to stress using the term "import" vs. "cheaper".

I think the main reason why europeans don't use the term is the lack of actual guitar factories in europe. Almost every non-boutique brand manufactures either in the US or in Asia (so basically pretty much everything would be an import to us). So as someone mentioned above we just refer to them by their country of manufacture.

Ataraxia2320

Reaction score
I think the main reason why europeans don't use the term is the lack of actual guitar factories in europe. Almost every non-boutique brand manufactures either in the US or in Asia (so basically pretty much everything would be an import to us). So as someone mentioned above we just refer to them by their country of manufacture.

Nailed it.

mmr007

(anti)Social Influencer
Reaction score
Might I add my 2 cents (not speaking for Europeans and their attitude towards the term import because I am not qualified) but I would agree that the term "import" has a lil bit of stank on it....but for me I use the term differently. I don't consider ESP or MIJ Ibanez imports in the traditional sense because both are Japanese companies making Japanese made guitars that I am able to buy here. But for LTD and non MIJ Ibanez (ie those made in Korea, Indonesia, China or Vietnam) I consider them imports because the manufacturing was exported. Same with Marshall. They are made in UK and shipped here. I don't consider them imports because they are a UK company. But for all the amps they make in Vietnam...those are imports....to me. I'm not saying it is a correct viewpoint but that's what it is and I think it leads to looking down on an arm of a brand if that brand has outsourced manufacturing to another country completely.

I guess a weird example is the old Red Bear amplifiers. I think they were made in Russia. Always wanted one. Never saw it as an import because from start to finish it was a Russian amp...for sale here on my local internets. I have no reason to hold Russian musical equipment in high esteem because they aren't really known for that. But (I think the brand is dead) if it were revived and manufacturing was done in Vietnam) I would view it as an import. My reasoning doesn't make sense and I need my meds now.

Fenriswolf

Reaction score
Honestly, the only guitar I call an import is my Edwards, because I actually, you know, imported it.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
I once dissasembled a guitar I bought in another country and took it home inside my cabin suitcase. Does that count as smuggling? :lol:

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
View attachment 108110Necrobump! Saw this on Facebook, apparently it's setup at the welcome to Rockville festival thing.

It just looks like a merch tent version of Dime's online store.

They go to festivals and stuff apparently.

No, not trashy at all, and nothing about it seems like why Rita was kept out of the picture by family for so long.

Latest posts

')