Dimebag and Dean are done - lawsuit follows

• Thread starter straymond
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

mmr007

(anti)Social Influencer
Reaction score
I got lost...what are we arguing about now? Dean makes a lot of tacky guitars. Dime plays a lot of tacky guitars...then what happened?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I got lost...what are we arguing about now? Dean makes a lot of tacky guitars. Dime plays a lot of tacky guitars...then what happened?

I don't know, some folks think that Dean made Dime play tacky guitars, and not that he was just a tacky, yet lovable dude long before the two met.

This thread needs more pictures:

B571CD34-8A12-4F6B-B9D9-241CE0ED7E5E.jpeg
DEB42652-68F0-4BB6-8CB3-E790BD862A04.jpeg
6DEA34C9-79F2-466B-B9D4-36ABD342D4BF.jpeg

I remember seeing him with that Concrete Sledge hybrid thing live in like 90' and it was just insane.

mmr007

(anti)Social Influencer
Reaction score
Those guitars are gross and to be honest I never liked the ML even without the trailer trash graphics. But you want pics....here are some other guitars I think look tacky...tho not AS bad...

tacky3.jpg

tacky1.jpg

Younger me would have loved Holt's blood splatter now?....not so much (although he is hardly the only one)
tacky2.jpg

tacky5.jpeg

Anyone else noticing a pointy=leaning trashy correlation?

mmr007

(anti)Social Influencer
Reaction score
1405cecbec083076839c133e230ab894.jpg

But considering this is my favorite guitar in the history of guitars...maybe I'll just shut up and show myself to the exit...

MrWulf

Reaction score
And its always dude pushing 40s 50s with those design too. Lets not pretend that Dime who wear his colors proud wouldnt be any different than those guys if he didnt die.

soul_lip_mike

Contributor
Reaction score
Do you guys remember that sick snakeskin dime that Washburn built him in the pantera 3 video? It had a fixed bridge I’m guessing for songs like underground in America with that low tuning.

Last edited:

Bdtunn

Reaction score
Do you guys remember that sick snakeskin dime that Washburn built him in the planters 3 video? It had a fixed bridge I’m guessing for songs like underground in America with that low tuning.

I think he brought that out for I’ll cast a shadow live. Loved that one!

soul_lip_mike

Contributor
Reaction score
All this talk is making me want to buy a USA dime slime ML but I can’t find one in stock on reverb or any site.

Sermo Lupi

Reaction score
I don't know, some folks think that Dean made Dime play tacky guitars, and not that he was just a tacky, yet lovable dude long before the two met.

The point is that most of what Dean put out was their designs. Is it any less tasteful than what Dime made with Washburn? That's subjective, but in my personal opinion, "yes".

Considering this, I don't see how it is possible Dimebag ruined Dean like you said. Or that the "Dimebag aesthetic" was limited to his guitars when it seemed more like a "Dean aesthetic" shared across the company. They produced similar designs on standard production guitars and production guitars for other endorsees. Dean were not slavish in emulating Dimebag's Washburns, nor were they conservative in coming up with new designs and models. In fact they seem to have made at least twice as many production models as Washburn did. Those designs in turn seem to be largely the vision of Dean's graphic designer, Stephen Jensen, as demonstrated by his other work with Dean. I don't doubt each design originated in some way with an idea of Dime's, albeit long after his death. About a dozen Deans emulated his Washburns.

No one has argued (or at least I haven't) that Dimebag's bold taste started with Dean. They were two peas in a pod if anything.

Beyond that, you were asking me to point out examples of Dean using tacky graphics on non-Dimebag guitars, so I did that. Then you asked me for examples of Dean finishes that weren't from Washburn production models (while claiming "the greater majority" of Dean's designs came from Washburn), so I gathered the evidence for that, too.

It isn't an argument. I'm simply saying Dean took up the Dimebag standard and ran with in their own style. I think the evidence bears that out. He was really a dream artist for them, at least judging by the types of guitars for other endorsees and regular production. It suited their style instead of taking them some place new (i.e. as if "Dimebag ruined Dean").

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The point is that most of what Dean put out was their designs. Is it any less tasteful than what Dime made with Washburn? That's subjective, but in my personal opinion, "yes".

Considering this, I don't see how it is possible Dimebag ruined Dean like you said. Or that the "Dimebag aesthetic" was limited to his guitars when it seemed more like a "Dean aesthetic" shared across the company. They produced similar designs on standard production guitars and production guitars for other endorsees. Dean were not slavish in emulating Dimebag's Washburns, nor were they conservative in coming up with new designs and models. In fact they seem to have made at least twice as many production models as Washburn did. Those designs in turn seem to be largely the vision of Dean's graphic designer, Stephen Jensen, as demonstrated by his other work with Dean. I don't doubt each design originated in some way with an idea of Dime's, albeit long after his death. About a dozen Deans emulated his Washburns.

No one has argued (or at least I haven't) that Dimebag's bold taste started with Dean. They were two peas in a pod if anything.

Beyond that, you were asking me to point out examples of Dean using tacky graphics on non-Dimebag guitars, so I did that. Then you asked me for examples of Dean finishes that weren't from Washburn production models (while claiming "the greater majority" of Dean's designs came from Washburn), so I gathered the evidence for that, too.

It isn't an argument. I'm simply saying Dean took up the Dimebag standard and ran with in their own style. I think the evidence bears that out. He was really a dream artist for them, at least judging by the types of guitars for other endorsees and regular production. It suited their style instead of taking them some place new (i.e. as if "Dimebag ruined Dean").

I don't feel like litigating the small differences between various camo (well actually, Washburn used the NATO standard woodland pattern with a mix of moss, dark green, and shit brown, while Dean happened to use 'Nam era type #3 camo which is a combo of deep green, rolling stone moss, and horse turd brown) and flame and animal print patterns over the years, or dig deep into the history of Deans he used prior to most recent endorsement.

I stand by what I said, the patterns and motifs were by and large not new to Dime by the time of Dean endorsement, which made up the majority of what's been offered in bulk the last couple decades.

Alex79

Reaction score
For real. :lol:

Talk about low quality bait.

Though, I'd give the benefit of the doubt and say they were being sarcastic.

I‘m confused. Was this in relation to my post? That was in reference to tacky guitars and pictures of the guitars.

')