Dimebag and Dean are done - lawsuit follows

• Thread starter straymond
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

RevelGTR

Reaction score
All I know is that I can’t even begin to explain how bad I wanted a Razorback explosion when I started playing in 2007/8ish. I think around then must’ve been the peak for the Dean Dime models, my local GC had a shitload of them. By the time 2010 rolled around I was all about RG’s, Strats and PRS’s though, and I’d guess a lot of metal loving teenagers made the same transition. I still think they’re a cool relic of that weird era when Metalcore, Butt Rock and the tail end of Nu-Metal all made for an absolutely massive mainstream rock scene, especially among younger people.

In fact in retrospect if I have to pick between Trivium or something playing tasteless, ugly Deans and whatever terrible Reddit metalcore band is most popular among a handful of nerds this year playing blurple shitburst super strats that look like they belong in 2015 it would be an easy choice haha.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

manu80

Reaction score
only one I liked were the stealth (washburn or dean) and the Razorback V.
The Razorback, still like the ML , is pleasant to play sit and very comfy but too much spikes kills the spike !!!

Fenriswolf

Reaction score
I feel like we all missed something a couple pages back....Dean makes goddamned banjos????

512155000010000-00-750x750.jpg

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
Dean has/had a six string banjo. The low E on a banjo is virtually inaudible, accoustically. But aside from that, they make decent bajos for the price.

Rob Joyner

Reaction score
I mean, Dime came from the hair metal era style and matured with the 90s, early 00s equally outstanding aesthetics. Most shouldn't be surprised his guitars were/are ugly as fuck.

I do love Pantera sincerely though, but we don't need to be blind followers and accept everything because fandom.

Ataraxia2320

Reaction score
Not sure of the details, but they had some serious fretboard cracking issues in the past.

They also sell B-stocks with bizarre flaws in their website (like maple fretbord that looks like rosewood and things like that, serious paint issues, etc). Any other manufacturer would just discard those, but with Solar they break free. But cheaper. :lol:

So they don't have that great reputation outside its target market.

A lot of manufacturers used to sell b stock. I believe factory second was the term gibson used to use, and schecter b stock and prototypes are always up for sale for example. As long as everything is noted accurately in the description I really dont see what the problem is?

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
A lot of manufacturers used to sell b stock. I believe factory second was the term gibson used to use, and schecter b stock and prototypes are always up for sale for example. As long as everything is noted accurately in the description I really dont see what the problem is?

It is not a problem for the person who buys it in the first place with full disclosure. But when those guitars start shifting hands and the history is lost, they're just guitars with bad QC. :shrug: When too many of them appear into the wild, it starts to affect brand reputation, since the average joe won't know if that guitar was a B-stock in the first place.

Think about it this way. If you cared about the reputation of your product, would you like to see subpar examples around with plenty of people talking about terrible QC? Looks like in this case the answer is no (as long as Ola turns them into money anyway).

With that being said, I've never ever seen B-stock guitars with issues like some of the Solars had. Most B-stocks are usually paint bubbles or tiny dings. That is acceptable, but maple fretboards that look like rosewood? Man, that's definetely fucked up.

Also, Gibson is a pretty bad example. We all know they don't give a damn about QC anymore :lol:

Last edited:

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
It is not a problem for the person who buys it in the first place with full disclosure. But when those guitars start shifting hands and the history is lost, they're just guitars with bad QC. :shrug: When too many of them appear into the wild, it starts to affect brand reputation, since the average joe won't know if that guitar was a B-stock in the first place.

Think about it this way. If you cared about the reputation of your product, would you like to see subpar examples around with plenty of people talking about terrible QC? Looks like in this case the answer is no (as long as Ola turns them into money anyway).

With that being said, I've never ever seen B-stock guitars with issues like some of the Solars had. Most B-stocks are usually paint bubbles or tiny dings. That is acceptable, but maple fretboards that look like rosewood? Man, that's definetely fucked up.

Also, Gibson is a pretty bad example. We all know they don't give a damn about QC anymore :lol:
Is it Solar's fault if they sell someone a full retail guitar and that person dings the finish, swaps the electronic for cheap shit, and then sells it as if it were mint?

ArtDecade

Way Cool Jr
Reaction score
All of y'all whining about how ugly guitars were in the 80s and I'm here laughing at all of your spalted, burl, and Strandberg-looking things. Dime had some ugly guitars, but you can't put that bad taste on the Sunset Strip. He rejected the Diamond and chose the Dimebag.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
Is it Solar's fault if they sell someone a full retail guitar and that person dings the finish, swaps the electronic for cheap shit, and then sells it as if it were mint?

We're talking about B-stock guitars being sold at their own website, not random scammers :shrug:

Last edited:

pipelineaudio

Reaction score
I wonder if Ola is drooling over the potential of a Dime Solar. Surely they would be of better quality than the Dean imports. Of course, Solar doesn't have the proper distribution to really handle such a name yet.

Does anyone have a link to these alleged NON-import Solars?

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
We're talking about B-stock guitars being sold at their own website, not random scammers :shrug:

Let's recap.

You said selling B stock was a problem for the manufacturer. Someone asked why. You said because the item will eventually be sold without disclosure of it being B stock. I asked if it'd be the manufacturer's fault if the item was purchased in perfect condition and then messed up by the buyer, then sold without disclosing it was messed up.

I guess now we are not talking about sellers who don't disclose the condition of the item they are selling, which was what you brought up? :scratch:

Matt08642

Reaction score
Wasn't the "cracking fretboard" saga for Solar just that one annoying as fuck YouTuber screaming about how his Washburn Solars had QC issues and he "Totally knew some dudes with cracked solar necks" with no evidence ever produced?

Those darn import brands and uh... oh

upload_2021-8-24_15-49-25.png

attachment.php

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
Let's recap.

You said selling B stock was a problem for the manufacturer. Someone asked why. You said because the item will eventually be sold without disclosure of it being B stock. I asked if it'd be the manufacturer's fault if the item was purchased in perfect condition and then messed up by the buyer, then sold without disclosing it was messed up.

I guess now we are not talking about sellers who don't disclose the condition of the item they are selling, which was what you brought up? :scratch:

You can overcomplicate stuff as much as you want. In the end they're just flawed guitars with your brand name. No matter where they came from. If you never allow those lemons to be sold, they won't hit you back. Simple as that.

Someone asked what was the deal with Solar, and I answered. I have no dog in this fight, since I have zero interest in indo guitars anyway and I don't feel like arguing for some someone else's jokes.

/done with this.

Last edited:

aesthyrian

Reaction score
Wasn't the "cracking fretboard" saga for Solar just that one annoying as fuck YouTuber screaming about how his Washburn Solars had QC issues and he "Totally knew some dudes with cracked solar necks" with no evidence ever produced?

attachment.php

Nah, while that guy was loud and obnoxious, there are more than enough examples of solars(not washburns) with severe cracking in the ebony boards.

https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=10159869754231874&set=gm.853569938834427
https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=10159019250687510&set=pcb.846580956199992
https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=10158207680682914&set=pcb.845257552998999
https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=10158207680687914&set=pcb.845257552998999

Wouldn't be too hard to find more examples.

Makes me more than happy to love rosewood haha

Demiurge

Reaction score
I don't think there's really any issue with selling B-stocks of the "scratch & dent" variety. After initial sale of it, it's just a used guitar with damage, no different than a formerly-mint guitar with its own damage.

B-stocks of the manufacture/build defect variety are specifically the guitars the builder shouldn't want to see the light of day.

Funnily, the Guitar Center near me has a new, "scratch & dent" Epi LP with a defective neck. WTF- send that shit back!

Ataraxia2320

Reaction score

I think that's a fair point.

If I were solar I'd be getting stamping guitars as b stock into the wood (think like Gibson does for it's serials) in several locations around the guitar (back of the neck, pu cavity, back plate cavity) to combat this but people will get around everything.

')