Dingwall SJ4 vs. Sadowsky and other J-styles

• Thread starter narad
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
Thanks for the discussion dudes. Here's how it worked out:

51838937_1115006925338460_6570350697798172672_n.jpg

52043156_387630062000509_5474923102884331520_n.jpg

51931639_373496776568121_3177485726920998912_n.jpg

I'm such a bad bass player that I'm probably going to bow-out from doing a NBD, but I dig it. Just seems like a really solid jazz style, really hefty bridge. This one is kind of funny -- I saw this on digimart maybe 2 years ago. Not "a bass like this" -- this exact bass, custom in burgundy mist metallic, loved it so much I thought about buying it. Funny to see it pop up used while I was on the prowl for something of this sort. I didn't get the chance to check out the Sadowsky metro stuff in detail, but this is alder, the Sadowskys are mostly ash, so I guess I'll still have an excuse in the future.

Also, the new Stingray Special HH/HS are crazy. I didn't like the aesthetic but tonally they were great, very versatile, could cop a lot of the jazz tones + usual stingray stuff, weighs the same or less than this. Definitely something I'll look for in the future.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
That is fucking stunning!

Congrats!

Not to stoke the gas, but StingRay HH basses can get incredibly convincing Jazz tones, and Precision tones. When I had my HH5, I spent more time in S-S mode, which is a spitting image to 70's "all on" Jazz tones.

narad

Reaction score
That is fucking stunning!

Congrats!

Not to stoke the gas, but StingRay HH basses can get incredibly convincing Jazz tones, and Precision tones. When I had my HH5, I spent more time in S-S mode, which is a spitting image to 70's "all on" Jazz tones.

Yea, I have a bunch of songs I've set aside as prereqs to master before I'm allowed a second bass :) But I was really impressed - I went with my bass player friend to just have a second opinion, and from the description, he kind of goaded me into trying out the stingrays. Has my respect for sure.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

narad

Reaction score
Does that cover not get in the way of playing?

My fingers do a fine job of that already. But it didn't seem to impede my friend's playing much. I don't know if it's like guitar and you'd occasionally want to play up over the neck pickup for a slightly different timbre, but seems fine really. Looks super classy.

Seabeast2000

Deathcult® NPC
Reaction score
My fingers do a fine job of that already. But it didn't seem to impede my friend's playing much. I don't know if it's like guitar and you'd occasionally want to play up over the neck pickup for a slightly different timbre, but seems fine really. Looks super classy.
Nice. What is the purpose of the cover? I don't know these things.

Mwoit

Reaction score
hell yeah. Do you still have the Dingwall for comparison?

narad

Reaction score
hell yeah. Do you still have the Dingwall for comparison?

Yep, but they're in other universes. The dingwall is this crazy precision engineered instrument that's got an absurd low end, the electronics are really versatile, but you can't relax on it. With the Z, it's just more comfortable chilling out, and even though the kind of more mid-forward warmer sound gives up a lot in terms of tightness, it has a charming character. Not much overlap between the two, besides being expensive basses that ship in gigbags.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Like a drug smuggler through a hypothetical future wall enforcing border security.

So as if it's not there? Sounds about right.

Those "guards" are one of those weird mojo things that I just can't do without. I've slapped one on just about every J and P I've owned.

narad

Reaction score
So as if it's not there? Sounds about right.

Those "guards" are one of those weird mojo things that I just can't do without. I've slapped one on just about every J and P I've owned.

Have you gone full retro though?

accessories-fender-jazz-bass-chrome-cover-set-bridge-pickup-2_900x.jpeg

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Have you gone full retro though?

accessories-fender-jazz-bass-chrome-cover-set-bridge-pickup-2_900x.jpeg

I've gone dual-stacked and have tried the bridge covers and found the mojo-to-playability factor to be too lacking.

The bridge cover especially is annoying, namely the bigger J style ones.

narad

Reaction score
I've gone dual-stacked and have tried the bridge covers and found the mojo-to-playability factor to be too lacking.

The bridge cover especially is annoying, namely the bigger J style ones.

I'd be all on board this one though:

original.jpg

Actual 1964 I guess.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'd be all on board this one though:

original.jpg

Actual 1964 I guess.

They totally look awesome, love the big Fender F, but unless you plan on planting your thumb on the neck, or have hilariously narrow hands, you'll ditch the bridge cover fast. It's okay for pick players too, depending on technique.

I'm an early 70's Jazz Bass guy. I like binding and blocks, heavy ash bodies, and the bridge pickup closer to the bridge. The one exception being a nice burst 60's.