Dingwall SJ4 vs. Sadowsky and other J-styles

• Thread starter narad
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Mwoit

Reaction score
The Fender Performance Jazz Bass in Surf Green. Hawt.

US18068106-body-large.jpg

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Avedas

Reaction score
Thanks for the discussion dudes. Here's how it worked out:

51838937_1115006925338460_6570350697798172672_n.jpg

52043156_387630062000509_5474923102884331520_n.jpg

51931639_373496776568121_3177485726920998912_n.jpg

I'm such a bad bass player that I'm probably going to bow-out from doing a NBD, but I dig it. Just seems like a really solid jazz style, really hefty bridge. This one is kind of funny -- I saw this on digimart maybe 2 years ago. Not "a bass like this" -- this exact bass, custom in burgundy mist metallic, loved it so much I thought about buying it. Funny to see it pop up used while I was on the prowl for something of this sort. I didn't get the chance to check out the Sadowsky metro stuff in detail, but this is alder, the Sadowskys are mostly ash, so I guess I'll still have an excuse in the future.

Also, the new Stingray Special HH/HS are crazy. I didn't like the aesthetic but tonally they were great, very versatile, could cop a lot of the jazz tones + usual stingray stuff, weighs the same or less than this. Definitely something I'll look for in the future.
My friend has the 5 string version of that in another color. It's a sick bass

jephjacques

BUTTS LOL
Reaction score
Sounds killer, too- I remember the last fender 5 string I tried (years ago) having a super flubby low B, this one is tight and clear all the way down to Ab. It can do everything from super clean to really nasty grind.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
Yup. 2013 AmStd Jazz V, Aerodyne Jazz from probably '08 or so, and a cheapo Squier VM Fretless Jazz.

Cool -- that was the only other thing in the store I was tempted to try out. My bassist friend there was raving about it.

Avedas

Reaction score
Since everyone here seems to know about J basses:

I'm in the market for a 5 string for recording and jamming, but I want to keep it under ~1000 USD. Used is fine. Anyway I've been looking at the typical Fender offerings, as well as FGN, Squier, Bacchus (the cheap line). It'd be cool to get something MIJ. I'm a total bass noob though. Are there any tangible differences between models in this price range? Or should I just follow the mojo (and my wallet)?

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Since everyone here seems to know about J basses:

I'm in the market for a 5 string for recording and jamming, but I want to keep it under ~1000 USD. Used is fine. Anyway I've been looking at the typical Fender offerings, as well as FGN, Squier, Bacchus (the cheap line). It'd be cool to get something MIJ. I'm a total bass noob though. Are there any tangible differences between models in this price range? Or should I just follow the mojo (and my wallet)?

Jazz basses typically fall into a handful of configurations, like most guitars and basses, so finding which flavor suits you (or if you have no preference at all) is probably the first thing to do.

Are you looking at active or passive electronics?
Do you need 24 frets?
Have you tried 60's vs 70's bridge pickup placements?
How do you jive with nut width?
Is there an aesthetic you're trying to cop?

Depending on how you answer, it'll better determine what will work best for you.

I'm inclined to think Fender would be your best bet in that price range, especially if you're open to used. They've been pumping them out the longest and in the greatest quantity, so you're more than likely going to ride something that works, is quality, and most of all: under budget.

Per usual, play anything and everything. Some Jazz Basses adhere pretty close to the classic design, while others deviate considerably leaving you with more of a contemporary bass shaped like a Jazz, which could very well be your preference.

How much do 90's and early 00's MIJ Fender soft (not year specific, but decade) reissues go for over there? Over here they're common around $600 to $800 and can be monster players.

Sorry if I ramble in here, I've been a Jazz Bass nerd for so long. I need to get it out of my system. :lol:

Avedas

Reaction score
Jazz basses typically fall into a handful of configurations, like most guitars and basses, so finding which flavor suits you (or if you have no preference at all) is probably the first thing to do.

Are you looking at active or passive electronics?
Do you need 24 frets?
Have you tried 60's vs 70's bridge pickup placements?
How do you jive with nut width?
Is there an aesthetic you're trying to cop?

Depending on how you answer, it'll better determine what will work best for you.

I'm inclined to think Fender would be your best bet in that price range, especially if you're open to used. They've been pumping them out the longest and in the greatest quantity, so you're more than likely going to ride something that works, is quality, and most of all: under budget.

Per usual, play anything and everything. Some Jazz Basses adhere pretty close to the classic design, while others deviate considerably leaving you with more of a contemporary bass shaped like a Jazz, which could very well be your preference.

How much do 90's and early 00's MIJ Fender soft (not year specific, but decade) reissues go for over there? Over here they're common around $600 to $800 and can be monster players.

Sorry if I ramble in here, I've been a Jazz Bass nerd for so long. I need to get it out of my system. :lol:
Thanks! I can't answer about half of those questions, but I think I don't care about fret number. The nut width feels comfortable but I have no idea if any of them were different from the others. I think I prefer passive electronics for now. As for aesthetics, anything that looks sort of like a J bass is all good to me.

There's actually a Fujigen Mighty Jazz Expert (http://www.fujigen-customhouse.jp/smartphone/detail.html?id=002002000001) on Yahoo Auctions right now that's well below budget that I might jump on.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks! I can't answer about half of those questions, but I think I don't care about fret number. The nut width feels comfortable but I have no idea if any of them were different from the others. I think I prefer passive electronics for now. As for aesthetics, anything that looks sort of like a J bass is all good to me.

There's actually a Fujigen Mighty Jazz Expert (http://www.fujigen-customhouse.jp/smartphone/detail.html?id=002002000001) on Yahoo Auctions right now that's well below budget that I might jump on.

Hey, the fewer the hang-ups the better.

I've heard nothing but good things about Fujigen stuff. I've only played a small handful of thier house branded stuff, but it's all been really solid.

There doesn't seem to be any "red flag" specs, so as long as you're cool with that funky pickguard, I'd say grab it.

Avedas

Reaction score
Hey, the fewer the hang-ups the better.

I've heard nothing but good things about Fujigen stuff. I've only played a small handful of thier house branded stuff, but it's all been really solid.

There doesn't seem to be any "red flag" specs, so as long as you're cool with that funky pickguard, I'd say grab it.
Thanks for the input, I scooped it up. Hopefully it'll arrive within the week :cheers: