Dino Cazares working with Seymour Duncan

• Thread starter F1Filter
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

JJ Rodriguez

Contributor
Reaction score
I love the way EMG's look too, clean and simple. If only they were a bit shorter :lol:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Rick

ALL HAIL DJOD
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I love the way EMG's look too, clean and simple. If only they were a bit shorter :lol:

:agreed:

If the SD sounds even close to the EMG, I might switch. Of course, it would have to work with my HD147 so who knows.

Cancer

Gazzmask
Reaction score
Would people be more inclined to swap out EMG's if there were direct replacements on the market? Absolutely.

Actually, in this case, probably not, the video on Duncan's site already stated (or at least alluded to), that tonally these would sound like a 707 or 81-7, the only advantages to the player "12 to 14 db" less noise. Since most (if not all) users of the 707 and 81-7 use medium to high gain distortion, it also means that they use noise gates, which negates that advantage all together. Really, the only people I could even see buying this pickup is experimenters and early adopters in the short term, players who have difficulty finding EMG's in the long term, and as an OEM part.

Especially if they are in fact tonally similiar.

As far as "big establishment trying to fuck the little guy", if I'm wrong then find me a guitar maker anywhere on the planet that uses emg 7 string hz's as original equipment, and when you can't find one, ask yourself why, then read my EMG rant I posted some months ago for the answer.

Rick

ALL HAIL DJOD
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Actually, in this case, probably not, the video on Duncan's site already stated (or at least alluded to), that tonally these would sound like a 707 or 81-7, the only advantages to the player "12 to 14 db" less noise. Since most (if not all) users of the 707 and 81-7 use medium to high gain distortion, it also means that they use noise gates, which negates that advantage all together. Really, the only people I could even see buying this pickup is experimenters and early adopters in the short term, players who have difficulty finding EMG's in the long term, and as an OEM part.

Especially if they are in fact tonally similiar.

As far as "big establishment trying to fuck the little guy", if I'm wrong then find me a guitar maker anywhere on the planet that uses emg 7 string hz's as original equipment, and when you can't find one, ask yourself why, then read my EMG rant I posted some months ago for the answer.

According to Schecter's website, the Damien has HZ 7s in it.

TomAwesome

I LIKE JUICE!!!
Reaction score
Actually, in this case, probably not, the video on Duncan's site already stated (or at least alluded to), that tonally these would sound like a 707 or 81-7, the only advantages to the player "12 to 14 db" less noise. Since most (if not all) users of the 707 and 81-7 use medium to high gain distortion, it also means that they use noise gates, which negates that advantage all together.

If I understand you correctly, that's really not true. There's always the issue of noise being present while you're playing, which is probably more of an issue in metal than anywhere else. Noise gates don't really do much of anything to help that, so 12dB less noise would be pretty nice, though I admit the 707 doesn't seem that noisy in the first place.

Even if they're just voiced like a 707 but with more dynamics and less of a compressed and sterile character, I might want to try them out... though I do hate the fact that I'd have to buy a whole new guitar to do it; hell if I'm going to be taking a router to my Ibbies!

Rick

ALL HAIL DJOD
Forum MVP
Reaction score
My problem with the 707 is I can't play it through my HD147. I turn the volume on the guitar all the way up, no sound. Turn it to about 25% volume and I can hear clean playing even with my distortion setting on. I have no idea why. I called Line 6 and they said it has some sort of circuit that cuts off input at a certain level. Yet, I tested the Hellraiser(707s also) on the Vetta II combo and it sounded great. So who knows what I'll do.

Kagami

Forum MVP
Reaction score
It works on all other amps? That's just bizarre.

Cancer

Gazzmask
Reaction score
I though I do hate the fact that I'd have to buy a whole new guitar to do it; hell if I'm going to be taking a router to my Ibbies!

Ultimately, this is my entire point, if you hate the idea or routing, and I hate the idea of routing, if an ENTIRE community has an issue with routing a guitar to install a mere pickup, don't you think Seymour Duncan would listen? 100 players emailing and going "hey Seymour, buddy, if you're going to make an active 7 string, would you mind terribly if we could install it without routing"? I know nothing about Duncan, but someone has to listen. EMG started this, and now it seems like others seems to be content with joining the "let's bend the 7 string players over...again" party. Even the Lawrences tried to screw us, I mean c'mon already. Enough is enough.

I feel that Mikey kid from the cereal commercial ..."Oh, this is Mikey, he'll eat anything...".

:wallbash:

Reaction score
I just emailed Seymour Duncan the other day and the guy told me they weren't going to make active seven string pickups. Which I knew was BS cuz Schecter's have em. What an ASSHOLE!

TomAwesome

I LIKE JUICE!!!
Reaction score
It would be nice if they'd make it standard size, and as far as I can see there's no reason that they couldn't. I doubt they will, though, especially if they're trying to go the "EMG replacement" route... although they have just as good of an opportunity to corner the "active pickups that don't force you to drill up your guitar" market, which I'm sure there's a huge demand for. The whole point of being a business is that you're trying to get people to buy your product, so you'd think they'd make a product that made things easier for people. I don't know. I guess it depends on what side of the market they're more interested in appealing to.

Rick

ALL HAIL DJOD
Forum MVP
Reaction score
It would be nice if they'd make it standard size, and as far as I can see there's no reason that they couldn't. I doubt they will, though, especially if they're trying to go the "EMG replacement" route... although they have just as good of an opportunity to corner the "active pickups that don't force you to drill up your guitar" market, which I'm sure there's a huge demand for. The whole point of being a business is that you're trying to get people to buy your product, so you'd think they'd make a product that made things easier for people. I don't know. I guess it depends on what side of the market they're more interested in appealing to.

Money.

That's what they're interested in. :lol:

Cancer

Gazzmask
Reaction score
http://www.seymourduncan.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1285471&postcount=14

Thanks for the post, Psyphre. First of all, there are no 7-string Blackouts in development at this point. Other than one set that went to a high-proflie player, they just don't exist. Period.

Second, if we do decide to make them, they'll probably come in the same housing as the EMG707 at first -- because we have the materials to make those. To make them in a direct retrofit for a 6-string humbucker may require considerable R&D costs.

Bottom line: we'll wait a bit to gauge market accpetance for 6-string Blackouts before we make any decision regarding a 7-string version and whatever form factor it might take.

Thanks again for the open letter. I hope this reply helps clarify our position.

I posted a response, but I'm starting not to care now, Duncan's going do what Duncan's going to do:noway: :nuts: :fawk: , and I'll stick with my X2N7 ...or go Bartolini.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
A guy in your thread said: "People still play 7 strings :lol:"

Typical... :noplease:

drucifer

reficurd
Reaction score
I saw this crap and had to chime in over there as well. I'd be all over a set if they were the right ding-dang size! :mad:

Rick

ALL HAIL DJOD
Forum MVP
Reaction score
A guy in your thread said: "People still play 7 strings :lol:"

Typical... :noplease:

Yeah, lots of people do, asshole. Come into our board and say that! :ninja:

(Not directed at you, Nick)

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score

Dude, a 12-14dB noise reduction is a LOT, especially if you're talking about noise gate thresholds.

You're making a lot of generalizations here that I don't think hold up - "passive users switch pickups all the time, active users don't and more importantly wouldn't if they could," "Actives are only for people who use high gain," "anyone who uses high gain also uses a noise gate," etc. The first one is the most blatantly false, but the rest of them are also pretty debatable.

Essentially, you're pissed at EMG, and taking it out on Seymore Duncan because they're possibly considering competing with EMG. I don't get it. That's not really doing any good, that's just misdirected hate.

Cancer

Gazzmask
Reaction score
Dude, a 12-14dB noise reduction is a LOT, especially if you're talking about noise gate thresholds.

You're making a lot of generalizations here that I don't think hold up - "passive users switch pickups all the time, active users don't and more importantly wouldn't if they could," "Actives are only for people who use high gain," "anyone who uses high gain also uses a noise gate," etc. The first one is the most blatantly false, but the rest of them are also pretty debatable.

Essentially, you're pissed at EMG, and taking it out on Seymore Duncan because they're possibly considering competing with EMG. I don't get it. That's not really doing any good, that's just misdirected hate.

Whatever, like I said before, I've said my peace. Duncan's gonna do, what Duncan's going do, but at least I raised my voice now, instead of bitching about it later.

...oh yeah, and respectfully speaking, next time quote me directly, if you're going try to make me sound a certain way, use my words, those "generalizations" aren't even close to what I actually said.

')