Dino Say Meshuggah, Korn, Coal Chamber Ripped Off FF Riffs - Give Examples

• Thread starter Louis Cypher
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Noxon

Is a Lurker
Reaction score
With only twelve notes to chose from, I am surprised there aren't more songs out there that sound similar.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ArtDecade

Way Cool Jr
Reaction score
... about to get blasted here .... Fear Factory, Meshuggah, Korn, and Coal Chamber all sound like crap. So Dino may have point.

I'll show myself the way out. :fawk:

goherpsNderp

no refutin' rasputen
Reaction score
because it's impossible that Meshuggah could, decades later, come to the same conclusion as you did with the opening riff, which boils down to "do a high note for a bit and then knock it down one fret to make it sound ominous and foreboding".

also: that's been a staple of Meshuggah's backing riffs since their inception right?

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Now I remember who his attitude reminds me of, might as well start calling him EVH Jr!

Seriously, I loves me some FF (got two mediocre tattoos to prove it) but get off it already pal.

I was thinking more of "EVH Grande", but that's mean and shitty and I really should feel bad for thinking it. Total lame, cheap low blow.

Sorry. :shrug:

lucasreis

ERG Ambassador
Reaction score
I like all those bands, so it's cool.

Fear Factory rocks. No need to get mad over what Dino said.

And they certainly influenced A LOT of modern bands.

goherpsNderp

no refutin' rasputen
Reaction score
i don't think anyone's mad, but it's certainly kind of childish of him.

this isn't a Bowie/Vanilla Ice situation, or as if the riffs that sound similar are so complex that the only explanation is that they copied. it's such a stretch that you'd have to be petty to bring it up as often as he supposedly has with scapegoat. would probably be best to just keep it to himself.

Alex Kenivel

Stunt Guitar
Reaction score
We need a giant rollseyes .gif instead of this small one -> :rolleyes:

huge_rolleyes.gif

Not a big fan of FF..or whining

Noisy Humbucker

Only obsesses over guitars when not playing them.
Reaction score
I was thinking more of "EVH Grande", but that's mean and shitty and I really should feel bad for thinking it. Total lame, cheap low blow.

Sorry. :shrug:

That's exactly what I nearly posted, verbatim. Chickened out at the last minute. :lol:

ArtDecade

Way Cool Jr
Reaction score
Come on, Rev... I'm a man with a fork in a world of soup.
Or at least Liam Gallagher is...

FILTHnFEAR

Dread it, run from it....
Reaction score
Now every time I see Dino, I'm gonna think, jealous lil bitch.

Promit

Reaction score
I'm not even going to bother to link Metal That Sounds Like Other Metal volumes one through four thousand...

Noxon

Is a Lurker
Reaction score
There are entire genres of metal that are basically the same song. Dino is trippin'. He should go snort a Big Mac, pipe all the way down, and be thankful he has had a 20+ year career in a style of music known for careers shorter than Anal C$&@ songs.

beerandbeards

All things must pass
Reaction score
Dino invented 7 strings, riffs, distortion, palm muting, nu metal, djent and everything else. Everyone in the world rips him off

chopeth

Reaction score
The beatles ripped off Dino's riffs too.

Cybin

Reaction score
You all are crazy. I think Dino has a point. The Korn and Coal Chamber riffs sound like egregious rip offs to me. The Meshuggah not so much. Now if we were talking about deathcore breakdowns i'd give them a pass but the similarities are too uncanny for me to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Reaction score
I hear some similarities in there with the intro but FF the riff just sounds like noise Korn actually played it coherently. As for the main riff I can hear two completely different notes in the two so it is different. Could be "paraphrasing" a little but Korn is still better here. What if Zeppelin hadn't ripped off a all those blues guys on their first two or three albums? We never would have heard their great and completely original work that's what.

will_shred

Wannabe audio engineer
Reaction score
This topic could be summarized as "short man suffers from short man syndrome." What a ridiculous guy! Surprised he didn't try to carry his claims of great influence to other genres as well.

Will the real slim shady, please stand up?

wankerness

Reaction score
You all are crazy. I think Dino has a point. The Korn and Coal Chamber riffs sound like egregious rip offs to me. The Meshuggah not so much. Now if we were talking about deathcore breakdowns i'd give them a pass but the similarities are too uncanny for me to give them the benefit of the doubt.

While the Meshuggah doesn't sound even remotely comparable in any way, shape or form other than being distorted and on a guitar, the other two are similar in that they use a really simple rhythm which loosely subdivides the 4/4 measures into 4 groupings of dotted eighths (12/16) and then 1 grouping of 4 16ths (1/4) to make sure it fits into 4/4. This pattern is used constantly by simple music of all genres, for some reason the one sticking in my head right now is the guitar riff from the verses of "I Melt With You." If he thinks he has that incredibly simple 4/4 rhythm pattern copyrighted when low guitars are involved then maybe he has a point. Unfortunately, such a simple rhythm pattern has been used thousands of times throughout history and when you're playing in a band like Korn, Coal Chamber or Fear Factory that primarily uses the lowest three frets on a low guitar and almost exclusively plays in uncomplicated 4/4 it's unavoidable that you're going to produce similar results. I think nearly every metal band has played a riff like that at some point (ex, the outro of Seek & Destroy), they just didn't invoke the ire of DINO because they didn't meet all the criteria of A) more popular than Fear Factory B) tuning in the same range C) doing it after Fear Factory.

EDIT: flipping through this Coal Chamber S/T is hilarious, that's apparently one of the only rhythm patterns they know and a few other songs are also based around it (Untouched, Sway, Clock).

Latest posts

')