Dino Say Meshuggah, Korn, Coal Chamber Ripped Off FF Riffs - Give Examples

• Thread starter Louis Cypher
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

redstone

Reaction score
You guys have to be joking, the main riff in both songs is very very similar. First time I heard An Ocean Between Us it immediately popped into my mind. They're in different keys and played differently and the tones are way different but the timing and note progression are basically the same.

giphy.gif

There should be a law against people who complain someone stole their 3 notes riff.

Korbain

Stay negative!
Reaction score
Looks lets just keep Dino happy and say he invented metal. When you look up the definition of metal, it's just a photo of Dino lol

Some people just love to feel overly important, i love FF but jesus, settle down

The Mirror

Reaction score
Who's complaining? Just an observation. I didn't write it.

Dude, they don't sound the same at all. If you see that one as a rip-off, then every riff including palm muted 0s on the E-string are a rip-off, too, since some band some time started including them as a rhythmic pattern.

Low Baller

Reaction score
Remember when Coal Chamber first came out people called them "Korn Chamber" since they sounds so similar. It goes with the metal territory people make riffs that sound similar and I don't think I it's always intentional.

I will confess and go public with this....
When I write metal riffs sometimes they end up sounding similar and I end up scrapping them or have to judge if my song sounds to much like a bands song...

There it is guys arrest me I also have used Phrygian mode, and natural minor/aeolian mode before. I have even dabbled in Hungarian mode and chromatics.

Yes I am a hack who steals but rest assure I am onto the next new thing.....Power Chords and minor pentatonic and my latest song is in I, V, IV no one has ever done this and I am suing anyone who copies it.

I get defending your art but twenty years Korn made a song similar to yours. Dino must hang out with Eddie Van Halen and he's been b****ing thirty years that Mike Anthony did nothing. My advice just cut your losses life is too short. You don't hear Metallica crying about every kid who picked up a guitar after listening to their music, learned their discography then starts a band that is pretty much there riffs. *Cough* Trivium, Post Rev A7X, one third of metal garage bands, many more to list. So Dino be like Metallica so what if they steal a riff as long as they didn't illegally download it.

BTW I don't call that a riff steal put me down for NO.

thrsher

\m/-_-\m/
Reaction score
I will confess and go public with this....
When I wrote metal riffs sometimes they end up sounding similar and I end up scrapping them or have to judge if my song sounds to much like a bands song...

when we would jam riffs for new songs, if anyone in the band said riff X sounds like band X, the riff never got used

DISTORT6

NJ DEVIL
Reaction score
when we would jam riffs for new songs, if anyone in the band said riff X sounds like band X, the riff never got used

Same here. If it's even a little close, it's out.
Sometimes your influences just pop out.

Rev2010

Contributor
Reaction score

What do you if someone later says one of your riffs sounds just like a riff from a song/artist you've never even heard of before? Do you scrap it? That's what I find funniest. How can you be ripping off someone else when you've never even heard their stuff? That becomes coincidental, and IMO it depends on just how close it is. If part of the riff is similar but not all of it is and the bass and drums are different, which they most commonly would be, I'd keep using it.

Rev.

thrsher

\m/-_-\m/
Reaction score
if its written and we have been playing out live or recorded it, its set in stone. my work personally, no one has presented that situation to me but i wouldn't scrap it, depending on how truly similar, maybe i would consider some type of rearrangement or pattern change

animal101

Reaction score

PF Chang

Reaction score
Dino never claimed anyone ripped him off. He said "influenced".

Buncha lousy music "journalists" can go .... a duck.

#Dinogate

Reaction score
Prelude - Demanufacuture... Great ....ing record. Should have called it a day.

Then, Obsolete. From this point he never comes up with a new idea ever again. Then... Complains that 'his' generic-ass riff... Er, which is basically Sabbath, like all the other metal ever... from an album that about 50 people gave a crap about at the time... is vaguely recognizable in some other stuff.

Plus, anyone else remember this; how he was basically responsible for discovering Coal Chamber, and them blowing up, no? 'Loco' being their signature tune at the time, no? Plus Coal Chamber are even more embarrassing than him, no? And he's taking "credit" for it. No?

Idiot. Yes. Hi we're Fear Factory and this song is called Robo-turdspaz Mechawar it goes "dunner ner ner dunner ner dr-dr-dr-dunnah duh" again. Thank you bye.

.... off Dino Cazarez. You are a rapey piss.

XMetalcheFX

Chef de Extreme
Reaction score
I think it's sad and pathetic that instead of doing responsible, hard working promotion of a band he's only in by accident AGAIN, Dino is resorting to bull.... drama tactics.

He slammed Tommy and Tim's new band, which DELIBERATELY briefly rips off failed creation as a punk on Dino because they knew he'd say something about it and get them some play. But to compare himself to Meshuggah, sorry bro your not even on the same planet. Your riffs are mechanical iriff garbage made with no musical inflection or creative regard to the other contributors around you. Plus your tone sounds like a dog pooping through a cheese grater.

I feel it's just more of Dino getting older, and still trying to establish his relevancy because he is not as popular as HE wants to be. Korn, Slipknot, Meshuggah, Devildriver, Etc Etc. All of them were cool with Dino, and he is sooooo bitter because they got more play and exposure than him. Or should I say, that he FEELS they got more than him.

Fear factory is good, but COW was a better fit. Dino plays Archetype live, a song written about him leaving Fear Factory, and referred to him as an "infection"... Your soo cool Spongebob Fat S***.

Also, while I do not agree with this blatant bull**** and drama, I CANNOT WAIT to see what Dez says in response....

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score

Ah, dang it! I came in here to say that Dino ripped off the Flintsones' pet's name. But you beat me to it, Vilk! *shakesfist* But glad to see I'm not the only one who thinks of both Dinos. :lol:

')