Dir en grey - The Unravelling: I dig it

• Thread starter Metaguitarist
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Metaguitarist

Reaction score

I've followed Dir en grey for a few years now, heard everything they've written, and some of their stuff really sucked. But ever since Uroboros, they've become an extremely relevant, interesting band. I love hearing new shit from them and always admire Kyo's vocal work.

I am surprised they've yet to modify their guitar sound - still too muddy for me, but non-the-less, this EP is extremely good. Much better than that shit Kiri to Mayu from the recent Rinkaku single (Rinkaku itself was fantastic).

Anyway, I didn't see any topics about this, and I myself actually just remembered they were working on this today and boom its already released! Always a nice thing when that happens. :lol:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Klype

desu
Reaction score
I totally agree! even though the majority of the songs are re-recordings, i think they all have a whole new atmosphere and freshness to them that sounds like new material.

and yeah, the guitars are still a bit muddy, but nowhere near as bad as Dum Spiro Spero imo.

WhiteWalls

Reaction score
I love this band's newer stuff, not like they were bad before but I'm glad they dropped all of the pop-visual k elements and concentrated on sludgy atmospheric metal.

Dum Spiro Spero is an album I always come back to when I want something truly dark and oppressive

Sikthness

Reaction score
Music is interesting, but I cant get past the vocals. Specifically the Japanese language. something about it is extremely irritating to me. I wish I could get this either w/ out vocals or w/ english vocals.

Mprinsje

st. anger ain't bad!
Reaction score
oh nice, love the way they're going now. though i do think the vocals are a tad too layered.

I wish I could get this either w/ out vocals or w/ english vocals.

his engrish is pretty horrible :lol: dunno if you would get anny happier with that.

EDIT: the remakes of Kasumi and the Final are a tad unnecesary, i like the originals more. Not everything sounds better with an extra string :lol:

Metaguitarist

Reaction score
oh nice, love the way they're going now. though i do think the vocals are a tad too layered.

his engrish is pretty horrible :lol: dunno if you would get anny happier with that.

EDIT: the remakes of Kasumi and the Final are a tad unnecesary, i like the originals more. Not everything sounds better with an extra string :lol:

Yeah I know what you mean. I suppose that's why this is just an EP. Too bad its so damn expensive to import, I really love the artwork, and would like to have this cd in my collection.

Damo707

Ibaninja
Reaction score
Pretty cool ep, i get what you mean about fresh sounding. i like that their guitars sounds like a vibrator on a coffee table.
The vocals are awesome on every album.

vilk

Very Regular
Reaction score
Their first EP, Missa, is fantastic, and then everything went downhill from there. Uroboros was like... listenable at best. This thing I'm listening to now though is pretty good. Maybe I should give that one they put out a couple years ago a listen.

Music is interesting, but I cant get past the vocals. Specifically the Japanese language. something about it is extremely irritating to me. I wish I could get this either w/ out vocals or w/ english vocals.
lol, this seems insane to me. Do you only listen to music with English vocals? What about movies-- you don't actually watch dubs do you? Jeez, you're really limiting yourself!

XeoFLCL

Reaction score
Their first EP, Missa, is fantastic, and then everything went downhill from there. Uroboros was like... listenable at best. This thing I'm listening to now though is pretty good. Maybe I should give that one they put out a couple years ago a listen.

lol, this seems insane to me. Do you only listen to music with English vocals? What about movies-- you don't actually watch dubs do you? Jeez, you're really limiting yourself!

It's funny because I actually think Dir en grey was at it's least interesting points during Vulgar and Marrow of a Bone, both albums kind of sound not very interesting overall to me. However, on the contrary, I consider Kisou and Uroboros their best works, and can't really choose one over the other as they're both just amazing albums. Macabre had a few (okay, more than a few :lol:) good points.. but mainly in the song titled after the album itself. The rest kind of grows old fast, but isn't bad by any means. As for Gauze and Withering to Death, I tend to generally dislike those albums outside of about 2 songs on each (Gauze had 304 Goushitsu, Hakushi no Sakura and Schwein no Isu, while Withering to Death had C and Kodou). Can't comment on the EPs as I can't find a place to obtain them affordably.

Dum Spiro Spero has alot of ups and downs.. The ups are amazing the downs can get pretty low. It's an odd album to me but it's by no means bad.

Just my :2c:

')