Direct drive double bass pedals

Djep

Reaction score
I am going to start drumming besides many years of guitarism and buy Millenium MPS-850 e-drums and doublepedals soon after that. Thinking of direct drive Millenium PD-223 Pro or PDP Concept. After searching found these machined direct drive 25" long boards which appeals to my eye http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5338014327&icep_item=192493713669
I like good quality equipment not the brand names. Prefer new. I'm interested on those no name ones so anyone have any idea that are they even close as awesome as they look? They're like a copy of Czarcie kopyto and have some fine adjustments. Would use these for some modern proggressive metal with wife and kids if they got into drumming when they grow up.
Have tried direct drive Pearl Demons and that I remember they were nice.

Last edited:

prlgmnr

...that kind of idea
Reaction score
That looks like a copy of the Trick Bigfoot pedals, but with a regular spring instead of a compression spring.

For that money I'd be looking for second hand Axis or Trick pedals all day long.

Ordacleaphobia

Shameless Contrarian
Reaction score
That looks like a copy of the Trick Bigfoot pedals, but with a regular spring instead of a compression spring.

For that money I'd be looking for second hand Axis or Trick pedals all day long.

I don't think you'd have much luck finding a good condition used Trick in that ballpark; but I would caution against Axis.
I have one of the Axis pedals and I seriously hate it. Adjusting this thing is a bitch and three quarters. The industrial style design is also really, really good at pinching your hand when you're working on or carrying it. Looks great though. Plays okay, and totally sold me on direct drive, but I really, really wish I just ponied up the extra few hundred bucks for a Trick or DW. Pedals are absolutely not something you want to settle on.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

prlgmnr

...that kind of idea
Reaction score
Adjusting this thing is a bitch and three quarters.

I have a pair of Axis longboards and a pair of Trick Pro1vs, I massively prefer playing the Axis but you're not wrong about the adjustability, it's an absolute twatting nightmare.

I don't know if it's just because the springs on the Trick won't go as tight that I prefer the Axis.

Djep

Reaction score
Pdp Concept Is out of question cause many revievers on Amazon are saying they're luggish for speed. Used we have only about older Eliminators and Axis. Not a single Trick pedal.
As for Axis I think the basic adjustability could be a mess as you say.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
Just my :2c: but if you're going to be playing only on an e-kit, I think the extra expense on good pedals might be a bit of a waste, since it's not going to respond/rebound the way an acoustic drum would. The feel ends up not being right even if the pedals are right for you.

Ordacleaphobia

Shameless Contrarian
Reaction score
Just my :2c: but if you're going to be playing only on an e-kit, I think the extra expense on good pedals might be a bit of a waste, since it's not going to respond/rebound the way an acoustic drum would. The feel ends up not being right even if the pedals are right for you.

I would actually argue the opposite. I was able to get by with really, really bad pedals on my actual kit, but when the time came to switch to eDrums, getting something that felt 'natural' was crazy difficult. I went from my old no-name pedals, to a pair of DW5000s, to Iron Cobras, to DW8000s, to the Axis pedals I have now. The 8000s felt natural but struggled with speed and the Axis pedals were the first ones that felt "correct." There's also the argument that pedals are universal; if you switch to an acoustic kit later, good pedals are good pedals. :2c:

Then there's also the possibility that I'm just a cork sniffer. Stranger things have happened.:shrug:

Pdp Concept Is out of question cause many revievers on Amazon are saying they're luggish for speed. Used we have only about older Eliminators and Axis. Not a single Trick pedal.
As for Axis I think the basic adjustability could be a mess as you say.

I can't give you firsthand experience because I've never played them, but I have heard really nothing but fantastic things about the Pearl pedals, even the more midrange chain drive stuff. Those might be a great balance option to split the difference.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
I suppose I've never really been in a spot where I had good pedals and an e-kit at the same time. I've always had cheaper pedals, and only felt the need to upgrade after switching to an acoustic kit.

Ordacleaphobia

Shameless Contrarian
Reaction score
I suppose I've never really been in a spot where I had good pedals and an e-kit at the same time. I've always had cheaper pedals, and only felt the need to upgrade after switching to an acoustic kit.

There's also the possibility that you just have good technique; because mine is admittedly pretty awful. Could explain why we had completely opposite experiences :lol:

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
I think it's more likely that we have different but equally awful technique. :lol: I'm a guitarist-turned-bassist-turned-drummer as opposed to someone who has always played sooooo take any drum advice from me with a grain of salt. Or a whole shaker of salt.

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
I've owned Axis AL-2 Longboards and currently have a set of Trick Pro 1Vs. I prefer the Tricks in basically every conceivable way :D durability, feel, adjustment, bass drum attachment, beaters, etc. Got them used for a steal, but they're well worth the price new IMO

Sephiroth952

Ibby Fanboy
Reaction score
Dyna-sync could be nice with slidable cam.
I'm not a drummer, but I do some tech work for my step dad and I even calibrated his new speed cobras when he got those. As a guitarist messing with something so foreign I can say that the speed cobra format (which the dyna-sync is built on) is super user friendly and easy to tweak. Also extremely serviceable, he had another set that the band he joined was using at their practice space and the bearing was completely seized, but since the bearing just come right out and use a standard skateboard bearing I was able to replace them right away with some I had laying around.

sezna

undermotivated
Contributor
Reaction score
I used demon (direct) drives for a while and eventually ended up switching to speed cobras (chain drive) as I felt more accurate and quick on them. Definitely try out some speed cobras, dw9000s, demon drives, etc. before just assuming you'll like direct drives more and be quicker with them. For me, I like the non-linear response of the speed cobras, it is like the tactile click on a mechanical keyboard. It helps me deliver consistent and powerful hits. With the demon drives, I felt like there was zero resistance at all, and I could fly super fast but could not hit consistently hard or with excellent timing.

Different strokes for different folks, just don't dismiss chain drive because it seems less quick than direct drive conceptually.

It should also be noted a bunch of metal drummers are moving away from direct drive, as I think the fad is almost over. Alex Rudinger, Anup Sastry, and a few others moved from Demon Drives to Speed Cobras. Direct drive stuff is gaining popularity in Jazz where they need incredibly precise control of their dynamics on the bass drum.

Ordacleaphobia

Shameless Contrarian
Reaction score
I used demon (direct) drives for a while and eventually ended up switching to speed cobras (chain drive) as I felt more accurate and quick on them. Definitely try out some speed cobras, dw9000s, demon drives, etc. before just assuming you'll like direct drives more and be quicker with them. For me, I like the non-linear response of the speed cobras, it is like the tactile click on a mechanical keyboard. It helps me deliver consistent and powerful hits. With the demon drives, I felt like there was zero resistance at all, and I could fly super fast but could not hit consistently hard or with excellent timing.

Different strokes for different folks, just don't dismiss chain drive because it seems less quick than direct drive conceptually.

It should also be noted a bunch of metal drummers are moving away from direct drive, as I think the fad is almost over. Alex Rudinger, Anup Sastry, and a few others moved from Demon Drives to Speed Cobras. Direct drive stuff is gaining popularity in Jazz where they need incredibly precise control of their dynamics on the bass drum.

Did you play the 9000s? If so, how would you compare the Speed Cobras?
I want to try them because I hear tons and tons of praise, but given my experience with every other form of Tama hardware being unfathomably terrible, I'm hesitant to drop the coin for pedals. I did play 8000s for a while though (which felt identical to the 9000s my buddy had if I'm being real), so I'm curious if there's any comparison.

sezna

undermotivated
Contributor
Reaction score
Did you play the 9000s? If so, how would you compare the Speed Cobras?
I want to try them because I hear tons and tons of praise, but given my experience with every other form of Tama hardware being unfathomably terrible, I'm hesitant to drop the coin for pedals. I did play 8000s for a while though (which felt identical to the 9000s my buddy had if I'm being real), so I'm curious if there's any comparison.
I've owned Demon (direct) Drives, Mapex Falcons, Iron Cobras, Speed Cobras, Axis Longboards, and Demon Chain drives. I have played my friend's DW9002 pedals as well.

My favorites I've owned are Speed Cobras, for reasons outlined above. I know tama stands and hardware can be bad, but their drums and pedals are not, you can take my word for it. I've actually owned three pairs of speed cobras, having sold them, regretted it, and rebought them twice, and they've all been very easy to set up and consistent.

I would say Speed Cobras and DW9002 pedals are equal in quality but different in feel. I would also suggest to look at the DW9002 XF pedal, as it is more comparable to the other pedals you have listed with its longer footboard. The Speed Cobra "feel" is non-linear, you get a bit more resistance at the beginning and then it drops off, launching the beater into the head. The dw9000 feeling is like, you just have to think about hitting the head and the beater is already there. If luxury drum pedals are a thing, they're dw9002XF pedals.

All of this said, DW9002 pedals are absolutely divine, especially if you can get the XF longboard version. I cannot speak to what it is like to own them, but I have a lot of hours on them and they're truly amazing pedals. They feel different to the Speed Cobras, though. Are you able to try both out?

Ordacleaphobia

Shameless Contrarian
Reaction score
All of this said, DW9002 pedals are absolutely divine, especially if you can get the XF longboard version. I cannot speak to what it is like to own them, but I have a lot of hours on them and they're truly amazing pedals. They feel different to the Speed Cobras, though. Are you able to try both out?

I've played the normal 9000s on and off pretty consistently, so I'm familiar with how they feel. Never seen an XF variant though.
Nobody I know owns a Speed Cobra and while I'm sure they've got one set up at GuitarCenter, it's different owning it though, and being able to play on your setup, with your parameters- so if I end up plunging for it it'd pretty much be sight unseen. Really good to hear that the quality is above their stands and such, because those were a nightmare.

I've heard the DWs are better all-rounder pedals while the Speed Cobras are better suited for the quick, fast rolls we have in metal. As someone who's definitely drank the direct-drive kool-aid, I think I'd at least like to give them a shot if they compare to the 9000s before I go whole hog and commit to buying a really high end pair of Tricks or something.

sezna

undermotivated
Contributor
Reaction score
I've played the normal 9000s on and off pretty consistently, so I'm familiar with how they feel. Never seen an XF variant though.
Nobody I know owns a Speed Cobra and while I'm sure they've got one set up at GuitarCenter, it's different owning it though, and being able to play on your setup, with your parameters- so if I end up plunging for it it'd pretty much be sight unseen. Really good to hear that the quality is above their stands and such, because those were a nightmare.

I've heard the DWs are better all-rounder pedals while the Speed Cobras are better suited for the quick, fast rolls we have in metal. As someone who's definitely drank the direct-drive kool-aid, I think I'd at least like to give them a shot if they compare to the 9000s before I go whole hog and commit to buying a really high end pair of Tricks or something.

Here you go.

I personally hate the feel of tricks/axis/DD. It feels too light for me, so I can go quicker but lose control. But like I said, it is all preference. I can answer any questions or provide pictures about my Speed Cobras if you'd like. Their length and the spring under the footboard are solid plusses. The fact that so many metal drummers recently transitioned to them speaks well too. They're also very easy to adjust and come with a great case, drum key, etc.

edit: I realize this sounds like an ad, sorry. I just like mine a lot. I encourage you to try them out, but in the end, it is all subjective.

Last edited:

Ordacleaphobia

Shameless Contrarian
Reaction score
Nah man I appreciate it, it's been over a decade and I still haven't found a set of pedals I'm excited about- so enthusiastic opinions are definitely helpful.