Dirty sounding prog metal

owenmakesstuff

Reaction score
I posted a song off my forthcoming mini-album thing (it's 35 minutes long); I was reluctant to post this here but I guess I'm gonna give it a go. I intentionally wanted it to be different from other prog bands and every song on the record differs a big deal from the one before it. It's pretty concept-heavy too, and the mix and playing is kept imperfect to sort of tie in with the emotions I wanted to convey (hence why the artwork looks a bit gritty too). Not sure if that worked out. Anywho, here's the song! Enjoy, and if not, that's totally fine.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

IGC

Reaction score
Sweet! I really enjoyed what I heard. Kind of post rockish (wich I like) but then kind of heavy and complex in certain ways, but not over produced and good interesting evolution of song ideas.

Rizzo

Reaction score
Count me interested for when the EP drops!
A little mixing advice, of course just my opinion: drums are too loud and distractive with respect to the rest of the mix, especially with regards to cymbals.

owenmakesstuff

Reaction score
Whoa, thanks for the positive response, cool to see people check it out and actually like it hah! I'll post the full EP here when it drops for sure. We're also playing our first gig in November so I might post a vid of that in case anyone's interested.

@Rizzo, you definitely have a point, and I fixed that a little in the meantime. There are so many different tones and genres going on throughout the record that it was really challenging to get the mix to sound coherent across the board. But it's thanks to a little feedback that I can get it a bit better for the full release :). Thanks!

Dahl

Dekhrom
Reaction score
Great job.
Some post rock flavours (already said before) that I like a lot. Good ideas...
Well done :)

chassless

Don'tDeserveMyGuitar
Reaction score
i just gave it another listen, and i agree that the drums are a tad bit too high in the mix. i also think the fade at the end is a bit abrupt, not the good kind but more of the awkward kind? maybe end it exactly with the instruments or give the last notes a couple of seconds to breathe, what do you think?

owenmakesstuff

Reaction score
Yeah, I think cymbals are the culprit for a big part, fixed it and it sounds better already! All the songs flow into each other, this is the isolated track so I just kind of left it dry, hopefully the transitions will flow a bit better when you hear the full thing!

chassless

Don'tDeserveMyGuitar
Reaction score
excuse the double post, but i'm just adding that i'm completely hooked on your piece of music, i even ripped it from youtube so i can blast it in my car in a bit, and i will buy ten times over what it is you will release anytime soon O___O

chassless

Don'tDeserveMyGuitar
Reaction score
purchased, as promised! happy to hear the guitars are brought forward a bit too. i'll give this record a proper listen next time i go for a jog, this is promising!

owenmakesstuff

Reaction score
purchased, as promised! happy to hear the guitars are brought forward a bit too. i'll give this record a proper listen next time i go for a jog, this is promising!

Yes! Thanks a lot :). Hopefully it'll be a good listen. I'll post the link to the entire record here for other peeps: https://frequencyeater.bandcamp.com/releases

Gotta throw these songs up on Youtube too.

Latest posts