'DISCREPANTIUM' - for 7-string bass (Jeroen Paul Thesseling)

• Thread starter Udolf
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ApteraBassist

Reaction score
I'm quite disappointed in all these solo pieces he's been putting out. I'm cool with the microtonal experimentation... but have some rhythm or melody! or do some more of that world music... anything really. I'm a huge fan of his, but i get nothing out of this

ixlramp

Reaction score
Yeah he's interested in going in a 'contemporary classical' direction which doesn't do it for me. The bass is gorgeous:

4129010802-1.jpg

I found some info on his 72EDO bass, it was actually a bass fretted in 18EDO but then with an open tuning of 6 strings separated only by 1/6th semitones:
C+83cents
C+67cents
C+50cents
C+33cents
C+17cents
C
With this open tuning you can get 72EDO on a normally fretted guitar, but only a range of 2 octaves.

Udolf

Reaction score
Like very much what Thesseling is doing here and never heard somebody before picking up such influences with electric bass. Of course it's not music meant for everybody. At least he has the guts to do something very different with his instrument and collaborates with several contemporary classical composers. Respect.

LordCashew

Death Punch for Cutie
Reaction score
I thought it was really interesting. :yesway:

cGoEcYk

Reaction score
I dig the spirit of experimentation. It's kind of like a drone piece (in that it doesnt really go anywhere solid) and sounds like it's being played by someone who doesnt know anything about music or playing bass aside from a few instances. I actually dig drone stuff but I didnt find this all that compelling. The dude is a beast in Obscura.

')