Disney shutters LucasArts, cancels Star Wars 1313

• Thread starter Xaios
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Xaios

Foolish Mortal
Contributor
Reaction score
"I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if thousands of game developers suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced. I fear something terrible has happened..."

Disney Kills Star Wars 1313, Lays Off LucasArts Staff | Game|Life | Wired.com

What a bombshell. Sure, LucasArts has been struggling the past few years, but it still had a great legacy. Some of the stuff they had on the table looked to be a true creative return to form.

But now, it'll never be.

What do you guys think?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

kamello

DESU METARU!
Reaction score
my heart just broke into pieces :(

EVEN LESS CHANCES TO SEE MOTHERFUCKING BATTLEFRONT 3!!!

SpaceDock

Shred till your dead
Reaction score
I think this is only the first drop in a flood of failure that Disney will create with the Star Wars franchise.

Matt_D_

Reaction score
Disney have a reputation for killing studios recently. they seem to be caught in some crazy cycle of "buy/start studio" "announce interesting title" "close studio down with quote of direction change".there must be some serious exec level bullshit at disney going on.

so sad about lucasarts tho, so much history there, so many pivotal games.

Reaction score
"Even though Disney said at the time of its $4 billion acquisition of the Star Wars company that it would “focus more on social and mobile than on console,”..."

-_- good job Disney. good job

devolutionary

No longer 7-less
Reaction score
Kids, look, they're shutting down LA as a development firm. Good. They've had shitty output for ages. They are going to license out the games to other firms. Bioware down KOTOR 3? Dice does Battlefront 3? Think of the possibilities here!

Mexi

Reaction score
Some of the best games Lucas Arts ever made were non-Star Wars games. though I'll always remember playing Grim Fandango as a child with awe and amazement.

flexkill

Vodka & PentaTonic
Reaction score
Kids, look, they're shutting down LA as a development firm. Good. They've had shitty output for ages. They are going to license out the games to other firms. Bioware down KOTOR 3? Dice does Battlefront 3? Think of the possibilities here!
I'd like to keep EA out if possible. I telling you....Bethesda would be awesome for KOTOR. Fallout style!

devolutionary

No longer 7-less
Reaction score
Bethesda or Bioware, either one would be fantastic. And Dice isn't so bad, Battlefield 3 was a solid game that had little of the EA bullshit involved. You won't be able to avoid the big publishers, alas.

I'd kill for a new X-Wing game.

Reaction score

Come to think of it, this would be amazing.

I'd love a free-roam non-linear single player Star Wars universe game along the likes of Oblivion/Skyrim/Fallout, but that's probably too much to ask for :noplease:

Not to mention a new Battlefront game with current gen graphics would be awesome.

But... it's Disney. They'll probably turn it into a game for the iPhone and say it's good enough :noplease:

I also really want a new Pod Racer game. I looooved the one on the N64.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
Bethesda, Please show Lucas Arts how to make a proper game....that is all.:yesway:

:rofl:

Yeah, because what I want is a Star Wars game where I wander off the main storyline's path only to spend the next 6 hours grinding my Lightsaber crafting skills and making Jedi robes because it's more fun than the actual storyline

flint757

Reaction score
"Even though Disney said at the time of its $4 billion acquisition of the Star Wars company that it would “focus more on social and mobile than on console,”..."

-_- good job Disney. good job

I'm definitely not a fan of the new direction the industry as a whole has taken. We get tons of social/mobile app games and re-hash/sequels and that is it nowadays it seems.

')