Distortion and preamp pedals for a solid state amp?

• Thread starter Upgrayedd
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Upgrayedd

Reaction score
Hello! I got a great deal on a Roland Blues Cube Artist. I really like it for low gain practice but obviously it isn't made for metal. Does anyone have any advice for a decent distortion or preamp pedal and tips (front of amp/ into loop, etc). Are there major drawbacks besides the difference in dynamics compared to tubes? I have guitars with both passive and actives if that helps. I'm thinking about the Diesel VH4 or Herbert pedal but am wondering if it would be overkill on cost if a solid state power amp section would affect it negatively (maybe get a Mooer micro/gas station instead) I appreciate your input and time, thanks!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

stevexc

Reaction score
Can't give you much more than my personal experience, but currently I run an OD, distortion pedal, and preamp into the front of a clean SS combo for at-home practicing. It's not perfect but sounds good enough for jamming around at home.

Specifically I'm running a Maxon OD9 into a DIY Friedman BE-OD clone into a DIY Sunn Model T preamp.

Can highly recommend the BE-OD.

Upgrayedd

Reaction score
Can't give you much more than my personal experience, but currently I run an OD, distortion pedal, and preamp into the front of a clean SS combo for at-home practicing. It's not perfect but sounds good enough for jamming around at home.

Specifically I'm running a Maxon OD9 into a DIY Friedman BE-OD clone into a DIY Sunn Model T preamp.

Can highly recommend the BE-OD.

Thanks! I'm a huge Alice in Chains fan, so the Friedman could be an option....I've heard it has more than enough gain on tap, to where it may need the pot adjusted (which is no problem).

Jacksonluvr636

Reaction score
In the loop ive tried a few and the best one for me was the Tight Metal Pro. That pedal is pretty killer.

akinari

Reaction score
Check out some Youtube videos of the Metal Zone used as a preamp in the loop of an amp if you want an affordable option. There's also the AMT preamps like the P1 (5150 flavor) and R1 (Dual Rec flavor).

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Try all the affordable options before diving off the boutique deep end :yesway:

Try a DS-1, try a fulltone OCD, try an EHX dirt box, etc.

Edit: if it has a california/metal/2000s setting (and it probably does, being a cube) then it can probably do high gain just fine.

Latest posts

')