Distortion Issue (first post/thread)

Reaction score
Ok, this is my first post so I'm probably missing some thread related to this or whatever, but here goes.

Basically, I recently readjusted a wobbly volume knob on my BC Rich Chuck Schuldiner Stealth tribute guitar, and up until this point, response in any amplifier was completely fine, no issues.

But then about 2 days after the adjustment, the distortion cut out almost completely when I plugged in (this is in a little "lunchbox" Marshall practice amp, so it's just a clean/dirty switch button) and I have no idea what's going on.

I also know it's not the amp, because I plugged my Epiphone SG into it and the distortion came out loud and clear, but whenever my Stealth goes into it, it just sounds like it's on the clean setting, no matter how high I turn the volume up (within reason).

So yeah, help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jc986

Tone Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like it could be a cold solder joint. Check your wiring and make sure all the solder joints are good.

Reaction score
Here's an HD pic of its guts. It's all foreign to me, but if something looks off to you, lemme know.

zwxj.jpg

Baelzebeard

Grinder of strings
Reaction score
You may have simply broken the pot when you "adjusted " it,(they have some sensitive innards). If you don't feel comfortable doing it, just take it to a repairman.

5150time

Now with Vitamin R
Reaction score
These are a little more unlikely, but just to cover everything...

Did you readjust which way the pot was oriented? I see from the picture that the pot lugs are pretty close to the cavity paint. If they're touching, that can cause things to short out and might produce the problem you're having.

Other than that, maybe the white and black pickup wires are touching something they shouldn't - although, your picture shows them heat shrunk and wrapped pretty well.

Hope that gets you figured.

Reaction score
Well, I took it to a local repair shop and they said the pot was just knocked loose, so it's all good now it seems.

Final verdict will happen when I take her home tomorrow.

Update: All is well. Thread complete. Thanks for the help, guys.

Latest posts

')