Distortion pedal recommendations

• Thread starter artmachine
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

All_¥our_Bass

Deathly Chuuni
Reaction score
Used BOSS ST-2. It's very versatile and can go from a JCM800 to 5150 easily. And you can find them for under $100. :)

Pete Thorn has a REALLY good demo of one on youtube.
I've played one of these in person and they sound GREAT.

I'm gonna personally suggest the metal muff, I have one and love how it sounds.

BabUShka

Reaction score
I've owned a bunch of distortion pedals the past few years. Everything inbetween Digitech, Boss, Line6, EH, Emma +++++
There is ONE pedal that really did impress me - Boss ML-2. For the price, this pedal is insanely good. I sold my Emma distortion worth $250 for the ML, worth like $50.
Id check it out. I use my with drop C tuning and sevenstringer. Gain at 3/10, and its really tight, growling and bright sounding.

guy in latvia

Reaction score
I tried this rig in a jam session once an I was shocked with the results. Maxon OD808 (boost for leads) -> Boss MT-2 metalzone (medium gain setting) -> all tube head with 3 eq settings and volume, only single clean channel. Sounded badass!

Keep in mind, most early swedish death metal bands have recorded with Boss MT-2s. It works ;)

Another really awesome pedal, although discontinued, is the Boss HM-2, heavy metal. When used as an overdrive for a high gain amp it gives you that nasty grinding tone you get with bands like Entombed, Bloodbath and Entrails.

artmachine

Reaction score
Thanks y'all! I think I'm holding off on the pedal->clean tube amp set up for now, but I'll definitely keep all of this in mind if I decide to give it another whirl. Really appreciate all the suggestions.

ShadowFactoryX

OMNIHILITY
Reaction score
I didnt see it mentioned, but you can score a Biyang Metal End for cheap
and honestly its an incredibly versatile pedal for distortion
its the only distortion i keep around these days

Latest posts

')